NEurope
Dcubed

Pokèmon Prèsents 18/08/2021

Fair play, Arceus actually looks pretty good. Well, not visually obviously, but it's not quite the horror show I expected from Game Freak attempting to copy BOTW.

• Like 1

Only watched the first 30 seconds of the Arceus trailer (My internet connection is pathetic) and it lost me with the amount of empty fields the main character was running through.

Stantler and Basculin evolutions are wasted on this.

Nice to see more signs that the BDSP Pokédex has the expanded Platinum Dex at least, won't make up for the lack of Battle Frontier, but it's something.

content-4-36544-pokemonpresents18082021roundupbanner.jpg

Pokémon Presents 18.08.2021 Roundup

Now up on the main page. :peace:

- - - - -

The ovwrworld of Arceus looks interesting, but I wish they'd done something different for combat instead of keeping it turn based like the main games. What's the point of the world if the combat doesn't make use of it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cube said:

The ovwrworld of Arceus looks interesting, but I wish they'd done something different for combat instead of keeping it turn based like the main games. What's the point of the world if the combat doesn't make use of it?

To be frank, it's not really realistic to expect a more action based combat system while still maintaining the amount of Pokémon you can have in the average Pokémon game. Going that route will leave you less than 20 Pokémon in the game. Just gotta look at the likes of Pokken really to see that.

The turn based combat is the reason why the collecting aspect works like it does.

They don't need to make it fully like an action combat system, but they could potentially have it real-time (generic, there's some potential balance of having some moves take longer than others), where you can mark locations for your Pokémon to go to to add a bit of positioning to it - not directly controlling each Pokémon, but more suggesting a spot for your Pokémon to position themselves, especially as this game's battles take place within the terrain.

You have the four main buttons for each of the four moves it knows, analogue stick to be a kind of "pointer", shoulder button to shout "go there", items/change pokémon on the D-pad. 

See, now you've lost me. That just sounds like complexity for the sake of adding complexity. For me, the "easy-to-learn, difficult-to-master" turn-based battles are the best thing about Pokémon.

Fewer and fewer games are using turn-based systems, and that saddens me. If anything, Legends: Arceus using one actually helps the game feel more distinct compared to the many similar looking open-world games out there.

It's also very important for a game like Pokkén to be balanced to stay interesting. In Legends: Arceus, it's not that important and could be programmed much faster. But yeah, having an anime-like combat system would perhaps be asking too much of the game.

Am I the only one who thought that the combat system in Pokemon Legends Arceus was basically the same one that Final Fantasy X used? A turn order in the top right is pretty much exactly the same as FFX.

Imagefinal_fantasy_x_battle_screen2

I think I know what Square Enix's reaction was to seeing that battle system...

th?id=OIP.S_Nm96TL6u8B52yrdwDeqwHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=303&h=171

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Aperson said:

Am I the only one who thought that the combat system in Pokemon Legends Arceus was basically the same one that Final Fantasy X used? A turn order in the top right is pretty much exactly the same as FFX.

OK, I know that I'm flashing my Pokénerd credentials here in a very sad way, but...

Why does that Oshawott have double the HP you'd expect from one of that level?

That would get you immediately banned from an online fight!

• Like 1