NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Final Fantasy XVI (22nd June 2023)

A free update launches today (see video below: potential spoilers) and not one, but two, installments of paid DLC are coming to XVI – with an update on that coming later this year! Maybe TGAs? 

Free update

This video contains spoilers for the main story of FINAL FANTASY XVI.

A FREE update for FINAL FANTASY XVI launches today, with alternate costumes for several characters (including the protagonist, Clive). We have also added a feature that allows you to change the appearance of Clive's weapons and a brand new weapon, the Onion Sword, to his arsenal!

DLC

Spoiler

• alright, Leviathan is turning up. 

• prequel episode/s perhaps about Joshua or Jill (during the gap between Phoenix Gate and the opening of the game) or Cid (before and leading up to his turn)? 

• would love to see/hear more on The Fallen, especially to do with their attempted uprising against Ultima. Alexander as a boss fight and some element of time travel to go back, perhaps? 

Really exciting stuff, already can't wait to get back to Valisthea. And you just know the music is going to kill :bouncy:

Edited by Julius

Just some trace hints at the planned DLC from Director Hiroshi Takai at the PlayStation Awards:

More at the TGAs?

DLC announced at The Game Awards: Echoes of the Fallen dropping today (!), and The Rising Tide dropping in Spring 2024. These will come in the form of new chapters taking place before the game's final chapter.

WARNING: Potential spoilers for the main game lie within. 

The epic story of FINAL FANTASY XVII moves ever onwards.

"Echoes of the Fallen" is out now. "The Rising Tide" is coming in spring 2024.

An Expansion Pass that contains both "Echoes of the Fallen" and "The Rising Tide" for a special discounted price is also available right now.

Good stuff :bouncy: guess I know what will be tiding me over until Valhalla on Tuesday :p

Edited by Julius

Some more details on the DLC courtesy of the PlayStation Blog:

Basically, Buster Sword and Away (Orchestrion Roll) are the special items for getting Echoes of the Fallen or the full expansion pass, and as seen in the trailer: Leviathan, confirmed. 

From what I'm reading, it sounds like the DLCs take place between the point of no return and the game's finale. 

There's also this Famitsu article which goes into each bit of DLC a bit: the first DLC is ~3 hours long, focused on battle content and new abilities and accessories; the second DLC is ~10 hours long and much more story-focused, with the new boss we saw in the trailer and new powers. The article also suggests that the PC version of XVI will bundle the main game and DLC. 

Reading through the Square Enix press release for the DLC, it mentions something which seems to imply something pretty big, so I'll stick this in a spoiler tag...

Spoiler

...it's sounding like completing the DLC episodes might result in an alternative ending where Clive survives, having assembled the powers of all of the Eikons? 

And finally… gaining Leviathan's power will mean that all the power of the Eikons has come together. What will happen to Clive when that happens?

Huh. It's interesting, I remember the plans for XV had DLC which seemed like they would potentially alter the ending from how Tabata & co. talked about them before they got cancelled, so it's curious that they'd follow a similar pattern here. 

I think I'm going to hold off until the second part of the DLC is released before once again taking up arms as Clive, what with Echoes of the Fallen being so short, meaning I'll be back for The Rising Tide in...spring?! 

The year of the JRPG continues to bloom :peace: (and it hasn't even started yet!)

• Thanks 1

Finished the game and quite enjoyed it. :D

Story does degrade when the 'big bad' becomes the focus. The big bad is alot like the Witness in Destiny 2. Similar issues.

Combat is fun and exploring is good. Eager to try the dlc but like you, may wait. They really should go beyond the ending and refocus a on the kingdoms and characters etc.

I fired the game up this morning. What an opening!

Spoiler

The early story beats have been great, with the young Clive section being the most interesting so far.

His mother seemed to be quite a bitch, even during her first appearance. When the castle was invaded I thought she would have something to do with it. Sure enough the cow was in cahoots with the invaders.

I can't believe Clive's dad was killed off so early and in such a brutal fashion. This lead to Joshua snapping and becoming the Phoenix which was another cool moment. Heartbreaking that he got the hell beat out of him. Was it Clive who became Ifrit? On one hand it looked like it but on the other maybe not. Time will tell....

I'm very intrigued to see how Clive gets his branding. Again, I assume it will be his bitch of a mother that has something to do with it. I'm only a few hours in and I already hate her. :D

• Like 2

I could get a new copy for 36€...

Ok....I'll buy it :p

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

Man, the boss fights are so epic.

Spoiler

I've just taken down Benedikta. Wow. The cinematic scenes, accompanied by the rousing music, made for an epic battle. I loved how the music started off strong, faded out as she flew away and then kicked back in when she slammed back down.

I was very angry when she slapped Torgal down. For once I actually love an animal partner in a game. :p Was happy to see he was okay though.

Clive stripping Benedikta of her powers was glorious. :bowdown:

I love the fact when you save you get little 16 bit character icons of your party on the screen. I also :heart: Cid. Dude is awesome.

• Like 2

Not going to read the spoilers for obvious reasons but glad to see you enjoying this :D

I want my copy NOW!

• Thanks 1

friends-i-knew-it.gif

Spoiler

So, Clive has just turned in Ifrit. I thought this was gonna be the case but I'm still expecting a few twists in the tale. I'd be very surprised if it was that simple.

12 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

friends-i-knew-it.gif

Recently watched all of the Friends bloopers...He was such a funny guy :(

Anyways...keep playing the game :p

• Sad 1

:eek::bouncy::eek:

Spoiler

I've just finished fighting my shadow and how amazing is that fight?

The first part was epic enough but then you hit L3+R3 to accept the truth of the situation and all Hell breaks loose. Clive powers up in true anime style and the music goes ballistic. What a moment!

Spoiler

Just finished smashing the mother crystal, got sucked into some weird warp, kicked Typhon's butt and now Cid has died. Absolutely gutted. :(

What the hell? Joshua is alive and all grown up. Not only that but hes pretty powerful as Phoenix.

Interesting, there's a 5 year time skip that has just occurred.

I think that's me done for the day. I had a cracking session on it and loved every minute.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

Ohhhh, my copy is on its way :D

Hope it'll arrive soon so I can get some gaming in before I leave this afternoon.

Can't wait to properly dive in tomorrow. :peace:

I might try and carry on with this myself today. With you guys playing it and @Goafer starting it the other day as well it'll be nice to have some others to talk to about it.

12 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I risked your last spoiler and I'm still at least a few hours ahead of you I think.

According to my PS5, I'm 46% of the way through the game so you must be over halfway.

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

According to my PS5, I'm 46% of the way through the game so you must be over halfway.

Yeah at the time I was keeping track of chapter numbers and that sounds about right

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Active Time Lore is soooooo good.

This needs to be a thing for all RPGs.

I take it the game has arrived?

6 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Active Time Lore is soooooo good.

This needs to be a thing for all RPGs.

I think it's great but I do hope if it did get used more it doesn't become a crutch. I do think in 16 they already didn't explain some aspects of the world as well as they should have because they knew people could just read up on it using that.

Sign in to follow this