NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Super Mario Maker 2 challenge - June challenge has started!

9 minutes ago, RedShell said:

A lot. :hehe: I can pull it off quite consistently now though. 

Seriously, I think I'm going to leave it, even though the fix is easy. The intended way is easier.. You should try it some time. :indeed:

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1

@RedShell I've tried that jump probably 50 times in the editor now, and I can't pull it off. So I don't want to ever hear you complain about my jumps again haha.

Make sure you want to watch this, or watch this all through to the end, because this obviously spoils things. It's the 2nd half of the level, only skips the bonus room. I'll probably delete the tweet after tonight.

Spoiler

Edited by Sméagol
  • Haha 1

So this how it is, huh? Last summer when I was getting into Mario Maker 2, I never considered touching the skip button, but over the months I have come round to it in a big way. If these levels came up for me in Endless mode, there is only two outcomes: 1) my run ends here. 2) hard skip. I will vote @RedShell  purely because I managed to finish it after three days of trying and I suppose it was nice of you to throw in a life at both flags to allow the player the luxury of retries (if they make the first halfway flag without game overing!). Smeagol I have seen the first half of your level this morning, and it is nicely put together and all but honestly, dying and retrying is not what I play Mario for and I can't waste time banging my head off a brick wall for two levels, sorry. 

So with that, I am going to tap out here guys. All the best!

"Get that garbage outta here!" :peace:

Edited by darksnowman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I rarely actually play endless. or play levels in general..

@Nicktendo, that's just 2 things. ;) Oh and yeah, I forgot about that, but I also tested that, and decided to leave it it. Since the downward thrust also comes with a delay. Placing the bomb like you do on the last jump is easier yeah, stupid that I never thought of that, but the end result is the same.. So again, I see no reason to fix anything.

Edited by Sméagol

I've played @Sméagol's level some more yesterday. First with the pro controller which was a big mistake as the down B just failed too many times due to the shoddy D-Pad. So I tried handheld with my DxM Hori monstrosities and at least I made it to the halfway point! The biggest struggle was the bit right after. I tried the @RedShelljump (patent pending) but could only pull that off twice. Using the bow I had about a 25 percent success rate. 

I couldn't get through the bit after that with the bomb and bow combo. Then when I accidentally pushed Try Again after a death and had to start from the beginning I gave up (it's just stupid that Try Again resets the whole level and not at the checkpoint).

Also:

Despite not finishing it I vote for @Sméagol this month. The level is well considered, there are enough visual markers to help you with what you need to do, and it's nice to play a Link level. The only real criticism is the difficulty but I'm guessing that's not going to change with his levels. :p 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

First with the pro controller which was a big mistake as the down B just failed too many times due to the shoddy D-Pad.

Yeah, the dpad caused some deaths for me as well.. But you actually only have to press down.. Something I learned while making this level. Got more consistent after that.

Then when I accidentally pushed Try Again after a death and had to start from the beginning I gave up (it's just stupid that Try Again resets the whole level and not at the checkpoint).

What's majorly confusing is that while clear checking.. it does work that way.

Also:

That's actually how I do it. :p

I still put the coin there and intentionally showed the original way in the trailer, but I quickly adopted that method during playtesting. It's also why I put that piranha plant there last-minute, he's punishment for if you fail the sword method. He wasn't there originally, and he's not a real threat if you use the bow.

Despite not finishing it I vote for @Sméagol this month. The level is well considered, there are enough visual markers to help you with what you need to do, and it's nice to play a Link level. The only real criticism is the difficulty but I'm guessing that's not going to change with his levels. :p 

If you haven't already, check out Snow & Easy and Some Tight Holes. I'll try to finish the Zelda level I was working on this weekend, which should be much easier, and I'm most likely uploading another new level as well, which I plan to make slightly easier than average. I'm not sure, it's not finalized yet, and it's a bit hard but for other reasons.

Edited by Sméagol

I've attempted @darksnowman's level a few times now and despite it being the "easiest", I have absolutely no idea what is going on at what I suspect is the end... Couldn't finish it. A visual and aural assault. :laughing: But certainly some cool ideas on the way up! 

My vote is going to @Sméagol this month. I've now finished the level three times and each time it has become easier to pull off the tricky bits. I think I'm the only one who's finished it so far, right? 

I'm hoping for easier entries next month :D

• Like 1

Right! When’s the next contest starting? It looks like @Sméagol won the last month, so what’s our new theme gonna be?

I’m itching to get stuck in :hehe:

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Right! When’s the next contest starting? It looks like @Sméagol won the last month, so what’s our new theme gonna be?

I’m itching to get stuck in :hehe:

Yep, weirdly enough i think I'm playing more AC than I was last month.. So I neglected it yesterday and haven't counted the votes yet.

I'll go have a look.

Yeah, it looks like I won (despite the difficulty, I promise I'll make something easier this time around!).

I'll make an official post later tonight, but for now:

Theme is SMB 2. I want to see the smb2 power-up being featured, and at least one use of Phanto / cursed key.

It's a shame this restricts you to the smb 1 style, but most 3.0 additions restrict you to a specific style unfortunately.

Chose this one because I obviously had to choose a 3.0 addition, and I was already working on something with the bulletmask, which I'm having fun with. But hadn't touched the smb2 powerup yet, so I have no idea yet.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Haha, had a proper look now, and it's actually a tie. We've not had one before, and going by what I suggested in the OP, deciding based on likes, it's actually @RedShell who can decide the theme (my level has 3 likes, his has 4). So I'll wait for his response.

Magikoopa's Molten Madness [0]
Autoscroll Antics [3] Sméagol / Dcubed / darksnowman
TLOZ: The Scrolls of Time [3] RedShell / Vileplume2000 / Nicktendo

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sméagol said:

So I'll wait for his response.

Ok, here’s the theme:

11 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Theme is SMB 2. I want to see the smb2 power-up being featured, and at least one use of Phanto / cursed key.

:heh: 

Yeah, I don’t have anything, so we’re going with your theme. ;) 

• Weird 2

Do you guys want the deadline pushed back? Personally I prefer to keep it on Sunday, there's still almost a week, and I get most stuff done on saturday anyway. And it's better to have the results in a weekend. But I could delay it until a weekday, or even next weekend.

39 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Do you guys want the deadline pushed back? Personally I prefer to keep it on Sunday, there's still almost a week, and I get most stuff done on saturday anyway. And it's better to have the results in a weekend. But I could delay it until a weekday, or even next weekend.

I’m cool with Sunday as the deadline, but don’t mind either way.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

I’ve already finished my course for this month (it went VERY smoothly this time!), so I’m happy to keep the deadline for Sunday :D 

I’m in the mood to make some more courses now... will have to make use of the interim I reckon! :hehe:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dammit, accidentally already uploaded my level. Don't want to take it down and have to re-upload on Sunday so please don't play it until then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 2

My goal was to make a tradional SMB2 level, as far as Mario Maker would allow me. Not totally happy with it, mostly because making it was both a bit frustrating and depressing as I was constantly hitting Mario Maker limitations and being aware there's no full SMB2 style. Though I kind of expected that already, I was already aware SMB2 style levels don't fit (literally) within Mario Maker restrictions.

Could also use some polish, but I started pretty late, yesterday afternoon, and did most of the work today. Before the weekend I mostly did a bit of experimenting with the power-up. I think I mostly got the feel right. It should also be one of my easiest levels, so rejoice.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, have played all the levels. Thanks to everyone who took part this month. :smile:

Spoiler

@Vileplume2000, took me a few attempts to make it from the Bullet Bill to inside the pipe, one time I even ended up accidentally staying on the Bullet Bills until the edge of the level (see vid below :heh:) but other than that didn’t have too many problems. Although I did have to kind of cheat a bit on the section with the Spike Traps by utilising the 2 hit buffer of the SMB2 power-up. Getting through there with the power-up intact is no mean feat! I do like how there were multiple routes/solutions within that area though, including the Chain Chomp. :D

@Dcubed, I love the concept of your level and how you basically stick to a single idea throughout. But during the later sections it becomes pretty frustrating, and the part where you seemingly can’t avoid the enemies and have to climb up again is extra annoying with Phanto on your tail. :shakehead Although I guess that’s kinda what you were going for. ;) Also, the SMB2 mushroom can often be quite tricky to grab once it’s inside a row of cloud blocks. Personally I would’ve stuck a checkpoint before the flying Pokey wall from hell! :hehe: Anyway, great idea, but just a bit too hectic at times.

@Sméagol, you created a pretty faithful SMB2 style experience here, and the difficulty level was nice, nothing too crazy. :grin: Thought I’d encountered a softlock at one point (in the section with your Phanto Key) as I’d lost the SMB2 power-up and was no longer able to dig, but managed to backtrack on the previous pipe to get powered-up again. Your “Birdo” boss battle was definitely the highlight of the level for me, even if the “eggs” shoot the wrong way a lot of the time. :laughing: Oh, and I did your on/off switch 1-Up secret too. :cool: 

It was a close one, but going to have to go with @Sméagol’s level. That boss battle really did give me a good laugh. :laughing: Well done!

:peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All right, better late than never, here's the official challenge post.

May challenge: Super Mario Bros. 2!
I should have posted this last week, but Animal crossing got in the way!

The theme
The theme for this month was to make a level based on the Super Mario bros. 2 power-up! It should be featured in the level, along with at least one use of the cursed key and phanto!

The deadline
That was yesterday!

The entries

• Doki Doki Dig (Dcubed) ID: B88-SL0-DLG
  • Don't Panic, It's Just a Dream... (RedShell) ID: V82-R8W-SFF
  • Just Another day in Subcon (Sméagol) ID: VLM-KSN-SFF
  • Ride the Lightning (Vileplume2000) ID: C1J-62T-7YG
Spoiler

The votes

Doki Doki Dig [0]
Don't Panic, It's Just a Dream... [1] Sméagol
Just Another day in Subcon [3] RedShell / Dcubed / Vileplume2000
Ride the Lightning [0]

Thye next challenge will start on the 6th of June.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this