NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Super Mario Maker 2 challenge - June challenge has started!

39 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Nice theme. :hehe: 

@Sméagol & @Dcubed, are we ok to also use the modified versions of those enemies, i.e, Dry Bones Shell and Unchained Chomp?

Yes, any form of modification is fine.  It's as open to interpretation as you can possibly stretch it (Yes @Glen-i, that means that Ceiling Chomps are fair game ;))

Just don't use anything else from the enemies tab and you're good.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

(Yes @Glen-i, that means that Ceiling Chomps are fair game ;))

I'll be disappointed if I don't see those. In fact, I may use them myself.

15 hours ago, Dcubed said:

(Yes @Glen-i, that means that Ceiling Chomps are fair game ;))

You do realise this means I could just post "BEWARE! Ceiling Chomps!" and it would be completely valid for this, don't you?

For the sake of fair play though, I won't reuse a level I did on the WiiU. (That level is going in my Super World anyway)

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

You're one day early...

It's Saturday. I always post it on Saturday.

And here it is!

No crazy, insane game breaking shenanigans this time (for the most part).  This course is fairly straightforward for one of my own productions.  Enjoy!

• Like 3

And another last day entry! :p

But the last 3 hours or so were mostly spent speedrunning the damn level. if you're taking longer than a minute, you're taking too long! :p

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@RedShell

@Glen-i

@Dcubed

I guess we we were all a bit less enthousiastic about this one huh? :p (though I miss @Vileplume2000's entry :( )

I also haven't posted in a while because I'm having computer problems.

I'm voting Glen-i this month.

I like how you and Dcubed have similar ideas and s sense of humour. Both going for SMB1 style, but incorporting the SMB2 power-up, which never occurred to me. And little jokes like the trapped bouncing Chomp in Glen-i's level, and the bouncing stack of dry bones in DCubed's.

Ultimately, I found Glen-i's level to have the perfect length and pacing, with well placed checkpoints. With DCubed's level, I thought it was a tad too long, and I would have liked the 2nd CP to be before the P-switch jump. I need more testing but I think it also has several softlocks, at least 1. One other thing that's a bit annoying is getting the dryshell. If you miss it you have to re-enter the room to respawn it, it would have been nice to have a pipe there. I love the room otherwise, the bouncing drybines crack me up, and I like how you have to place the trampolines first as a sort of puzzle. There were other smart little things like that that I liked. Wasn't too big a fan of the boss, a bit too hectic. The big chomp was often more a liability than an aid.. And you have to level the seesaw too..

Finally Redshell's level.. That one was a bit too short. I liked the start, seemed like the start of a good traditional level. Then there was the lift section.. Which would have been fine if it wasn't practically the end. I would have liked more after this! But you get straight into the finale.. which was a bit weird, I don't get it. Seems impossible to outrun, but then again, you can just take a hit.. Maybe I missed a secret or something, but it felt a bit anti-climactic

As for my level, at one point I wondered if I should just continue the horizontal level structure. At first was adamant at including a vertical section. I forgot why exactly, I think I wanted to do some dryshell jump tricks. There's bit of that there. But I think I enjoyed playing and building the horizontal section more. And I should definitely have added at least 100 seconds to the clock. Got so focussed on speedrunning it that it didn't occur to me before uploading, but it's definitely tight for a casual run. The boss was always going to be there, and spinjumping on chomps was the reason why I wanted to choose chomps as a theme. I actually downplayed that a lot, originally I wanted more and harder sections where you had to bounce on chomps over spikes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Completely forgot about this! :woops:

I did play them all though, and do remember that my vote was going to @Sméagol. Your level entertained me the most, and your trademark trolls weren’t quite so evil this time. :D 

10 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Finally Redshell's level.. That one was a bit too short. I liked the start, seemed like the start of a good traditional level. Then there was the lift section.. Which would have been fine if it wasn't practically the end. I would have liked more after this! But you get straight into the finale.. which was a bit weird, I don't get it. Seems impossible to outrun, but then again, you can just take a hit.. Maybe I missed a secret or something, but it felt a bit anti-climactic

Yeah, it was really rushed so didn’t turn out how I would’ve liked. Needed way more time in the oven. :hehe: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I guess we we were all a bit less enthousiastic about this one huh? :p (though I miss @Vileplume2000's entry :( )

Yeah I was flooded in that week with work, and that weekend I left for a week of holiday so didn't have any time to cook something up unfortunately.

Funny thing is because of Mario Bros. 35 I remembered that I should play the posted levels as I still want to vote. Noticed it was pretty quiet here so I wanted to play the levels tonight and revive the thread, but you beat me to it! 

• Like 1

Also, another thing, I kind of like the way we dealt with a tie, so I'd like to make it an official rule if you guys don't mind. If it's a tie, you decide the theme together.

30 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well, I was waiting for @Vileplume2000, but seeing as he was too busy. I vote for @Sméagol.

Can't quite remember specifically why, but that's OK.

Ha. I played all the levels immediately that weekend, after finally uploading mine.. But I was too tired for it. Replayed all of them yesterday.

I guess I'm the winner :indeed:

I'm late myself so deadline will be tuesday evening.

Theme:

I want to go out of my comfortzone, (and I suspect yours as well), so I'm going to choose something I've never even used before (not as a builder, and most likely not even as a player).

It's the ehh.... I don't even know the name. The squirrel suit in the 3D world theme. That one. No other requirements or restrictions.

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

The squirrel suit in the 3D world theme.

You mean in New Super Mario Bros. U.

1 minute ago, RedShell said:

You mean in New Super Mario Bros. U.

My point exactly.

Just wanted to say I played through all of the levels this weekend, and I liked them all! They were all pretty straightforward which I find a good thing haha. Some lovely mechanics as well, like the use of the SMB2 mushroom and the boss battle in Sméagol's level.

Also didn't know the squirrel suit was in the game until I played one of the Ninji run levels.

• Like 2

My level:

Turns out I'm not very good with the squirrel power-up, so the clear check for this one was an absolute nightmare. :laughing:

:peace:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry guys.  I’ve been so ridiculously busy at work recently that I just haven’t had time to sit down and play anyone’s levels!

Rest assured that I WILL catch up on them all when I get a chance :peace:

• Like 2

I 'll post the code and a trailer tomorrow, but I finally uploaded it, so you know where to find it. Another simple straightforward level. Though I have indeed never used the super acorn, it still had its exclamation mark (denoting it was new). Must be the last one.

@Sméagol I played your level. Good stuff. :) Forgot you could do higher spin jumps with the squirrel suit, so that part with the Pokey and the door above it took me longer to figure out than I’d like to admit. :blush: Also, I wasn’t aware you could have 2 different power-ups emerging from the same pipe! Is that just done by merging with the super mushroom but then sticking it inside a pipe instead of an item box? But yeah, very cool, will have to remember that one. ;) 

Anyway, doesn’t look like there are any other entries to play this month, so you’re getting my vote by default. :heh: 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, RedShell said:

@Sméagol I played your level. Good stuff. :) Forgot you could do higher spin jumps with the squirrel suit, so that part with the Pokey and the door above it took me longer to figure out than I’d like to admit. :blush: Also, I wasn’t aware you could have 2 different power-ups emerging from the same pipe! Is that just done by merging with the super mushroom but then sticking it inside a pipe instead of an item box? But yeah, very cool, will have to remember that one. ;) 

Anyway, doesn’t look like there are any other entries to play this month, so you’re getting my vote by default. :heh: 

Whoo! Default vote! :p

Yeah, just a progressive super acorn. I used it because I thought it would be funny for other players (not expecting a super acorn level) to go "wtf" for a second before the super acorn drops out. It also has implications for speedrunning, as I make normal players wait ( :p ), but speedrunners just need to wait for the mushroom. In fact you don't need the super acorn at all to play the level, although you will need to damage boost. And yeah, glad you found the NE room eventually haha.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I've had some proper creator's block this month, couldn't get anything down that I was satisfied with.

• Sad 1

Sign in to follow this