NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Super Mario Maker 2 challenge - June challenge has started!

10 hours ago, Sméagol said:

But having one week to create your level was clear from the beginning! :p

Yes true, but I didn't want to keep fiddling with it all week so I wanted to finish it in a couple of hours.

1 minute ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Yes true, but I didn't want to keep fiddling with it all week so I wanted to finish it in a couple of hours.

As long as you don't feel rushed.

As for me.. I have some fiddling to do.

Just now, Sméagol said:

As long as you don't feel rushed.

As for me.. I have some fiddling to do.

I work good under pressure. :p

• Like 1
  • Weird 1

So I think my level is ready to roll, pretty happy with it how it turned out. It was fun just using Mario Maker again really, as I’ve not made anything with it for quite a while. :)

Anyway, are we planning to upload our Spike levels today or tomorrow?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today or tomorrow. Finished mine, simple, short, and easy. My son needs to put the final touches to his, so I’ll post both our levels tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, RedShell said:

So I think my level is ready to roll,

I think my level is almost ready to troll, but I'm still mulling over a few things. I have a hard decision to make, one I've been mulling over for the last few days haha.

I'll get it sorted and most likely upload it tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh and a tip, if you're done, you can do a clear check without actually uploading the level. If you have the time anyway, it's a good opportunity to set a good cleartime if you're into that, and to see if there are any small things you need or want to edit.

I'll upload mine later tonight then and play the Spikey levels on Sunday then.

Downloaded all 3 of yours. Beat Redshell’s, but it didn’t add me to the percentage cleared. Is that because I downloaded it, and didn’t play it straight from the page? So weird.

1 minute ago, londragon said:

Downloaded all 3 of yours. Beat Redshell’s, but it didn’t add me to the percentage cleared. Is that because I downloaded it, and didn’t play it straight from the page? So weird.

Yep. Gotta play it while online.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yep. Gotta play it while online.

Weird?  Why couldn't Nintendo let me upload my time when I connect to the internet later. ??  If they're worried about someone tampering with a level then uploading a time, only allow it with levels that the maker has chosen to be uneditable.

I gave up trying to go for a near-perfect speedrun, but the time should be reasonable (for those who want to speedrun a level with a cleartime of 2:45). I underestimated myself how hard the hard route was in this level.. Must have spent hours trying to beat it with the true ending, before doing the actual clear check. Then trying to speedrun the clear check took some time, before I settled for something less time consuming.

Unlike most of my levels, this is more puzzle orientated, though still plenty of platforming to be done. There are a few trolls, though the biggest one (I think, or at least the one with the biggest downside) I removed. You can partly thank my brother for that, he endured the torture of playtesting the level, which gave some helpful insights. Red coins are optional, and are needed for the "true ending". Like I said, I underestimated this myself, and it's ridiculously hard. But it's optional, the only reward is that you can remove the blocks after the goal, and walk out the level like a champ. I also included an #NE easteregg.. That one isn't as hard to do as the true ending.

Anyway, since the level contains puzzles, the trailer is not a speedrun of the first section, rather it's proof the true ending is actually possible.

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, I'm gonna give my opinions as I play each one. Best not read these until you play the levels yourself if you want to keep them a surprise.

Spoiler

@Vileplume2000, first of all. Bonus point for having the best title. Quality.

The difficulty curve was spot on, I did have a bit of a "duhhhh" moment right before the snake blocks where I wasn't sure how I'd get up there. But then a minute later, oh right, there were trampolines a while back.

Only legit criticism I have was that I never quite figured out how you were supposed to get past that big Spike before the checkpoint without taking damage and that I think you should've provided a mushroom after the checkpoint so people don't get killed from making one mistake. The level wasn't so hard that those things didn't impact my enjoyment though. Solid level.

@Dcubed strikes with his patented "Puzzle Level" yet again. Like most of your levels, they're pretty damn ingenious. I thought it was a nice touch to use that trippy visual effect to signify that something has changed. The trampoline shenanigans near the end was definitely the moment when I thought, "Wait, that's the answer!?"

Not as demanding as last month's level, so I think it's an improvement.

@RedShell

giphy.gif

Damn man, you know how to make an entertaining level, and not just in the gameplay. I had a big smile when I stumbled into the "Zen Rooms". Kinda funny that you came up with a similar trampoline puzzle to @Dcubed. You even both used floor decorations to signify where to place them. @Dcubed was slightly more clever with it though.

I enjoyed that so much, I went back to get a better time, which I don't do often. That's gonna be tough to beat.

Oh, and I found your secret slide.

@londragon Ooooh, you went for 3D World? I was wondering if someone would.

It's very minimalist. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. There's something to say about the fact that you only used 3 different parts and got a level that is still pretty fun to play. Normally, I'd criticise the lack of a mushroom, but the level is short enough so that it's not frustrating.

Now, as for @londragon's son's level, that took me a few attempts, but I pereservered. Just like his dad, he didn't have a mushroom in it either (Or at least one I could find). But to be honest, most mistakes would kill you anyway, so putting a Mushroom there would be mostly pointless and would only let people damage boost through the Spike Towers at the end, so I get it.

I wasn't actually convinced the Spikes were more of a focus than the wall jump shenanigans you have to pull. Not breaking the restrictions, of course. But that's what I felt.

Oh, also. Should point this out. Because sometimes you just can't account for stupid.

OK, @Sméagol, 19 minutes and 5 seconds later, I finally did it.

Yeah, it's pretty hard. But I didn't find it too frustrating. Well, except for that hole at the end. Why do that? Yes, I fell down it! Apart from that, some cool puzzles here. But the star of the level is that boss. Really clever, very much enjoyed that.

And it was really brave to go with a NES style, the Spikes there are much less predictable, which can make them trickier to work with, but you made it work.

Oh also, should point this out. Sometimes, you can't account for sheer unluckiness...

Anyway, I need to know, did you intentionally reach the letter cap on the title for funny?

Edited by Glen-i
Played Sméagol's level
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

First, let me say I love we have some more participants this month, and I love the variety. Fun to see 6 levels with all a different take on the same theme, with funnily enough not even that many similar ideas. 

I'll do some short comments now, and I'll elaborate later, after I've went to bed and woken up again haha. This time though, i remembered to capture videos, so I'll post those then as well. Oh and I'll update the challenge post at the same time.

Spoiler

@londragon, sorry I forgot your son's name. See what a checkpoint can do? It makes it an actual fun challenge! Could work on the aesthetics though!

As for your own level, ehh same point, you could work on aesthetics! But I had fun speedrunning your level.

@Glen-i Cool level! Very fun use of a mechanic I wasn't even aware of, with the spikeballs following you!

@Dcubed Ah sorry.. Didn't enjoy this one. I was stumped on the 3 pipes puzzle, didn't know what to do, then returned, and the other puzzles were too finnicky, and I couldn't solve them even though I knew what to do (I think). The key puzzle is hard when the ball is offscreen. And I couldn't get the ball down in the seesaw section. The most annoying thing is though.. I assume all those puzzles are actual puzzles and not red herrings.. because I did finish your level without solving any of the puzzles. After 32 minutes @Glen-i, so your time isn't that bad! :p

@RedShell Also very cool level! Took the slide, and the ending was fun with the ball dropping.

@Vileplume2000 A suprise entry, as you hadn't posted it here yet, but I saw it in the list!. Fun challenge, though like Glen-i, I wasn't sure what to do about the forced hit (though I didn't try going back down).

I'll have to go through the levels a 2nd time, but I'm inclined to vote either Glen-i's or Redshell's level.

@Glen-i, the title wasn't planned (went through several iterations, just like the level), but I intentionally kept it! :p

Edit: Also, that was the best troll I didn't plan! :p

Edited by Sméagol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sméagol No, the pipes are not a red herring, but there’s a known exploit that I left in on purpose to brute-force finish the level anyway if you really are just completely stumped (which you seem to have found).

The level has plenty of misdirection, but that isn’t one of them :p 

I think my next level is gonna return to a more straightforward style next time though.  Puzzle levels are great, but I’m getting tired of making them; it’s exhausting trying to make these mechanisms all work seamlessly (and not become soft-lock hell).  And I’m feeling the urge to make something more traditional, action focused and straightforward now anyway.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Edit: Also, that was the best troll I didn't plan! :p

I like to think someone will die around that spot, see the death cross I left on top of the pipe and be confused about how I managed to pull that off.

• Weird 1

It wasn't the most satisfying finish! Though it's probably the fastest one!

Spoiler

Like I said, 3 pipes had me stumped. I jumped with the trampoline in the left and right pipe, with switch on and off, and I didn't see any change. I had no idea how to get the spike hit the switch behind him in the right pipe, the left pipe just seemed empty. Outside on top if the red blocks was nothing, and you can't go back from that point.

Then the key puzzle.. I had him shoot the ball to the left, and I lead the bal underneath him to the right. Top right is where the problem is, I can't see if the ball is beyond the switch wall or not. I'm not even sure if it despawns. Switch below would have been nice, but I can't get back there.

Then the vertical section.. My plan was to try to balance the ball all the way down using the seesaws. But I couldn't make it happen. Often I saw it drop on the wrong side, somehting I was familiar with afterseeing my brother play my own level, but that was just the one seesaw haha. I assumed I had the get the big ball from top all the way down, and destroy the wall that way.

Just tell me yes or no, if I'm doing something horribly wrong with those puzzles! :laughing: I will give them another go later.

Edit: Also, I'm going to give you guys one more day to "enjoy" Spikes on a Slope before I delete it! :p

Edited by Sméagol

39 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

It wasn't the most satisfying finish! Though it's probably the fastest one!

DCubed's level (Hide contents)

Like I said, 3 pipes had me stumped. I jumped with the trampoline in the left and right pipe, with switch on and off, and I didn't see any change. I had no idea how to get the spike hit the switch behind him in the right pipe, the left pipe just seemed empty. Outside on top if the red blocks was nothing, and you can't go back from that point.

Then the key puzzle.. I had him shoot the ball to the left, and I lead the bal underneath him to the right. Top right is where the problem is, I can't see if the ball is beyond the switch wall or not. I'm not even sure if it despawns. Switch below would have been nice, but I can't get back there.

Then the vertical section.. My plan was to try to balance the ball all the way down using the seesaws. But I couldn't make it happen. Often I saw it drop on the wrong side, somehting I was familiar with afterseeing my brother play my own level, but that was just the one seesaw haha. I assumed I had the get the big ball from top all the way down, and destroy the wall that way.

Just tell me yes or no, if I'm doing something horribly wrong with those puzzles! :laughing: I will give them another go later.

Edit: Also, I'm going to give you guys one more day to "enjoy" Spikes on a Slope before I delete it! :p

Spoiler

General hint for the Three Pipes: Look at the flowers surrounding them... it might be a hint as to what order you tackle them in in general... (Actually, decorations in general may well be subtle hints throughout the whole level...)

Key Puzzle: Think about how slope physics work... Once you figure out how slope physics work, the rest is easy.  The timing isn't difficult either.  You do have to follow the spike ball, but look at the flowers around you... they're telling you to stay put and to not jump out and follow the ball!

Vertical SeeSaw Room: You don't use the ball at the top... you use the one at the bottom... I'm not telling you how to use it, but again... remember what you learnt about slope physics from the Key Puzzle room and think about how you'd get the ball to jump... ;) 

The Trampoline: You don't use it in any of the pipes... If you get the key though? Perhaps you'll figure out where to use it? (And remember, all decorations are placed on purpose, without exception; they're there to help you ;))

Right! Played them all.  Let's see what I think of them...

Spoiler

@Glen-i: You already know what I think of your level, why am I even posting it here!? It's great.  Seriously one of the best levels you've ever made.  I particularily love how you can save yourself in the penultimate section with a well timed jump if you're running a bit behind.  Yes of course I got all the pink coins.

@Sméagol:  Screw this level.  After getting shot point-blank in the face by Spike Cannons 30 times, I gave up.  It's just too frustrating; and your hatred for mushrooms and checkpoints just wore my patience down to nothing.  Some neat ideas wrapped up in contempt for the player.

@RedShell: Holy crap! This level is SOOO GOOD!! Wonderful pacing, brilliant ideas (I do like how we came up with the same idea for the trampoline spikes, right down to using the decorations as landmarks!), hilarious slide section and requisite Baby Face goodness (Yes, I did find it!).  Also I legit had no idea that Spike's balls could actually destroy Cloud Blocks! That one legit blew my mind! Yeah, it's brill; A+ material as usual from you :D 

@londragon: A Spike Up The Butt - This level is... surprisingly entertaining! Considering that it is literally made up of only 3 parts and isn't particularily complex? Its quite impressive how you managed to focus on making a fast paced action stage and weaved in just enough wrinkles to make it fun.  Was really fun to speed run as well (Felt pretty chuffed after I knocked Smeagol's world record off the pedestal :)).

Spike Castle - Hilarious opening, had me and Glen-i in stiches.  Some neat ideas, just a bit of a shame that the ending part was a bit slapdash and frustrating; because the first parts are actually quite good.  Not bad overall though.

@Vileplume2000: Yeah, you win the contest for Best Level Name for sure.  Wasn't so keen on the part where you were forced to take a hit, felt a bit cheap really.  Otherwise I enjoyed it though (except for the weird hitboxes on the spike traps where you're climbing up the vines; but that's not your fault, that's just how the game handles them).  Was nice to play a vertical level that doesn't sap away all of your progress all the time, you paced it well; though I feel that you could've explored Spike's unique mechanics a bit more.

Overall, @Glen-i and @RedShell are the runaway winners for me; their levels were way better than mine this time as well!

It's really tough to pick between the two... but I think I'm gonna have to say that RedShell''s just barely clinches it for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this