N-Europe

FIFA World Cup: Russia 2018

Julius

12 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Mbappe with the best individual performance by a player in this tournament, imo. He's looked the real deal.

Seriously. He’s been excellent with Monaco and PSG, but I think this is the game which will be remembered as the match that Mbappé exploded onto the world stage. 

Feel sorry for Messi, but this Argentina team is old and leggy, and their squad selection (Higuain over Icardi? Really?) was in doubt when it was announced last month. 

Happy that this France side is finally starting to live up to the potential of the names on the team sheet. They just weren’t ready in terms of maturity to win the Euro’s two years ago, and were lucky in getting there in my opinion, but there’s a calm and confidence to many players — all of them, really — on display which is well beyond their years. Should set up an interesting quarter final tie against Uruguay or Portugal, that’s for sure.

Edited by Julius Caesar

2 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Seriously. He’s been excellent with Monaco and PSG, but I think this is the game which will be remembered as the match that Mbappé exploded onto the world stage. 

Feel sorry for Messi, but this Argentina team is old and leggy, and their squad selection (Higuain over Icardi? Really?) was in doubt when it was announced last month. 

Happy that this France side is finally starting to live up to the potential of the names on the team sheet. They just weren’t ready in terms of maturity to win the Euro’s two years ago, and were lucky in getting there in my opinion, but there’s a calm and confidence to many players — all of them, really — on display which is well beyond their years. Should set up an interesting quarter final tie against Uruguay or Portugal, that’s for sure.

Yeah, I think this game will be remembered for a long time anyway, but even more so for some of the individual performances. Maybe even for Messi simply not turning up or proving to be ineffective for his team.
I don't feel that sorry for Messi, tbh. Sure, it's an old team, but this is by no means a bad team. This isn't like Salah playing for Egypt where he is one of the only players of note. I do think that Argentina haven't used their talent effectively in this tournament and the performances simply haven't been great. They've disappointed.
This is a great France side and they'll do well in this tournament. Possibly favourites, even? 

That Messi pass was superb. 

@Fierce_LiNk, my main reason for feeling sorry for Messi is that many will hold onto the fact that he didn’t the World Cup as an attempt to invalidate him being in the conversation for the greatest of all time. That, plus how ineffective the entire team has been, much of which has to come down to the manager. He brought some players who didn’t deserve to be there/left some at home that did deserve to be there, and the fact that they’re one of the oldest sides on average in the tournament really says it all. They had over a year to figure out a formation and starting XI that would work going into this World Cup, and they didn’t. 

That’s not to take anything away from the teams that have put in brilliant performances against them, but when Messi is under pressure to be the main creator, goalscorer, midfield driver and captain, I think it’s just a bit too much — for anyone. 

@Hero-of-Time agree that France deserved to go through, they were excellent. Still don’t get your disdain for Messi, but whatever. 

• Like 1

Very entertaining game. The right team won, though I'd be lying if I said I'd rather have Portugal face France :heh: Not only would Argentina-Portugal be a promising match, I don't think Portugal has quite shaken off the "curse" of always losing against France.

Regardless, Uruguay comes first. We got a few yellows right now, so I hope nobody will miss the match against France.

15 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

That Messi pass was superb. 

@Fierce_LiNk, my main reason for feeling sorry for Messi is that many will hold onto the fact that he didn’t the World Cup as an attempt to invalidate him being in the conversation for the greatest of all time. That, plus how ineffective the entire team has been, much of which has to come down to the manager. He brought some players who didn’t deserve to be there/left some at home that did deserve to be there, and the fact that they’re one of the oldest sides on average in the tournament really says it all. They had over a year to figure out a formation and starting XI that would work going into this World Cup, and they didn’t. 

That’s not to take anything away from the teams that have put in brilliant performances against them, but when Messi is under pressure to be the main creator, goalscorer, midfield driver and captain, I think it’s just a bit too much — for anyone. 

@Hero-of-Time agree that France deserved to go through, they were excellent. Still don’t get your disdain for Messi, but whatever. 

True, the manager of Argentina hasn't helped him on this occasion. But, Messi has built his whole club career at Barcelona and has been in the privileged position of being able to play with the best talent on the planet. Look at the calibre of the players that he has had to work with at Barcelona, many of which have allowed him to go out there and express himself and have helped him to earn numerous accolades. So, sure, he may not have had won the World Cup, but let's not forget that he's had extremely good fortune at Barcelona. Not only that, but he's been in the (again, privileged) position of playing for Argentina, who have a rich footballing history. Through playing with Argentina, he has played a World Cup final already in 2014. It's hard to feel sorry for somebody who has already been so successful and who has had a great career at club level and a decent one at international level. He is by no means a failure. I'm sure many of the England players would bite your hand off for the chance to have played in the World Cup 2014 final against Germany. 

11 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It's hard to feel sorry for somebody who has already been so successful and who has had a great career at club level and a decent one at international level. He is by no means a failure. 

I agree with all of your points.

But, like I said before, my main reason to feel sorry for him is because he will have seen this as possibly his last chance to win the World Cup, which many of his critics — few though they might be — will now hold against him when the conversation of greatest footballer of all time comes around. Given the state of the current game, and the quality of club football, I just feel that it’s unfair to hold a player’s inability to win a quadrennial tournament against him, given just how much he’s done in the sport.

In the same way, I’ll feel sorry for Ronaldo tonight if Portugal go out to Uruguay, because this is — realistically — his last chance to perform at the World Cup. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

I agree with all of your points.

But, like I said before, my main reason to feel sorry for him is because he will have seen this as possibly his last chance to win the World Cup, which many of his critics — few though they might be — will now hold against him when the conversation of greatest footballer of all time comes around. Given the state of the current game, and the quality of club football, I just feel that it’s unfair to hold a player’s inability to win a quadrennial tournament against him, given just how much he’s done in the sport.

In the same way, I’ll feel sorry for Ronaldo tonight if Portugal go out to Uruguay, because this is — realistically — his last chance to perform at the World Cup. 

He's still up there with the greatest of all time. But...not scoring in 8 knockout phase games, one of which is the final, will hurt his chances in that respect. But, I think his club career has been that good that he'll still be in those conversations, but there's no arguing that he's not been as successful on the world stage, for a number of reasons. International football is different beast, though. It's far harder to win the World Cup due to a player having fewer opportunities to do so, due to how often it comes around. So, it would be unfair to solely discount Messi simply on the basis of never winning the World Cup. What I do think will count against him, especially in comparison to Ronaldo, is his ability to "make it" at more than one team. Ronaldo being able to win the Champions League with Man Utd (as well as other trophies) before making the move to Real Madrid will go in his favor, which Messi can't compete with.

• Like 1