NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jonnas

Eurovision 2018

2 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Why? 

His acceptance speech last year where he insulted all the other acts and his vocal dislike of Netta because she's pure pop.

Fun fact, the German public gave 1 point to the UK. Sympathy vote? :heh:

For all the talk that UK was going to come last, I'm now the one who's sad to see Portugal come last. I thought we had a good entry, but then again, it was a tough year.

I was impressed at the discrepancy between Jury and Public vote. Seeing Jury favourites getting 20-30 points was legit funny.

Anyway, congrats, Israel. You proved me wrong, and I'd rather have your song as winner than the one from Cyprus.

3 minutes ago, killthenet said:

His acceptance speech last year where he insulted all the other acts and his vocal dislike of Netta because she's pure pop.

Only just caught up with that. A bit of a nobbish thing to do, yeah. I didn't like his song last year anyway. :p

So...I guess pity points aren't a thing. Dammit, Europe.

Just now, killthenet said:

His acceptance speech was just "Music is feeling, not fireworks", right? As controversial as that was, I don't think it was insulting.

But if vocal dislike of a "pop" contestant is enough to be called a cunt, then do the same to me. I hated Cyprus' entry :heh:

• Haha 1

Saara Aalto was amazing. I miss her! I wanted her to win on X Factor so I was pleasantly surprised to see her on here. I wanted her to win. That song is so catchy and also, her voice is amazing! Austria was wicked too!

...as for us...ugh! Not into it at all!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The UK's performance can be summed up quite well.

DdB_LylX4AAuTqd?format=jpg

"Hooray, we didn't come last! What an achievement!"

Edited by Glen-i

...as for us...ugh! Not into it at all!

Well alright mate, there's no need to storm the stage and ruin it for the rest of us.

• Like 1

Well alright mate, there's no need to storm the stage and ruin it for the rest of us.

I thought I was doing you all a favour!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, that turned out to be a bit of a classic.  Well done @Jonnas.

Austria had a pretty good song, performed terrifically by Cesár Sampson.  I like him even more now I know he's the nephew of Pepsi from Pepsi & Shirley.  The lucky lad also got to "lift" one of the presenters a few times.

Norway and Sweden were both catchy pop songs.  Thought the former would do a lot better, and perhaps the latter could have been more complex in order to stay interesting.  Even though the time limit is three minutes, I think it's important to include a small bridge, not just a verse and chorus.

United Kingdom usually enters songs that are a bit simple and "singalong" for my liking, but I was massively impressed with SuRie.  It was extremely selfish of the protester to ruin her big moment (and quite frankly there should have been enough bouncers to nip that in the bud before he got on stage), but the way she coped actually made me proud to be British.  Not every performer would be tough enough to cope with that.

Albania and Netherlands both had good rock songs.  Whilst not exactly my favourite genre (I prefer soul and R&B), I appreciate how Waylon in particular brings a touch of class to Eurovision.

Israel was wacky, but I can see why it won.  Strange lyrics, but a well-constructed song.  Moldova had a better song than they were given credit for, and the staging put a grin on my face.  It was properly camp in the true sense.

Ireland was memorable on the night and I thought it'd do much better.  It almost certainly belonged in the left-hand side.  Italy was very interesting in how the jury wasn't keen, but the voting public loved it, almost certainly for the message.

Overall, a great night, and my sound bar performed admirably.

Edited by Grazza
  • Thanks 1

I'm liking Sweden's entry more and more. At first I just loved what they did with the lights and how it was like a live music video, but the song itself is growing on me now. It reminds me of a watered down Daft Punk

Yeah, Sweden's bass line was going round my head all yesterday.  It's like Justin Timberlake music, with a bit of Daft Punk and the performance style of Justin Bieber.

Mind you, Moldova's going round my head today!

Some people from Israel used Deep Learning to get some AI make another Eurovision song.

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this