Hero-of-Time

Monster Hunter World (PS4)

8 hours ago, drahkon said:

My mate and I are nearing the end of Monster Hunter World's story.

We've been doing quite a few optional quests to farm materials and now we're at a point where we can finish off "normal" monsters in a matter of 10-15 minutes. Teostra was a different beast, though. My mate died twice and I had to use 7 mega potions and some crazy evasive manoeuvres to not perish :D 

Next up is one of the most annoying monsters...Vaal Hazak. Effluvia Resistance is a must.

I've got to fight the Black Veiled VH on Friday night; my friend hasn't had as much time as me to get through Iceborne, he tried it last night both solo and with the SOS and failed every time, text me to say he'd unplugged his Xbox from the TV he was that annoyed with it 😂🙈

I've unlocked the Stygian Zinogre, Furious Rajang and Raging Brachy quests but I've halted that at the moment for some achievement hunting, been collecting rare animals and working through the research logs at the mo, not getting any HR or MR points but it's nice to have a different objective for the moment before it all kicks off with those beasts again!

Looks like the Alatreon is coming next week, 9th July! 

Also some sort of streaming/announcement thing on Friday as well talking about what else is coming in the update 💪

Gonna be doing some Iceborne quests this evening with my mate.

Will set up a Charge Blade class. Played with Lance for a while but it's a little too static for my taste. I think it's time to fight with a more technical weapon :D Can't wait to get my ass kicked.

4 hours ago, drahkon said:

Gonna be doing some Iceborne quests this evening with my mate.

Will set up a Charge Blade class. Played with Lance for a while but it's a little too static for my taste. I think it's time to fight with a more technical weapon :D Can't wait to get my ass kicked.

You wut? 

A weapon couldn't GET more technical than the Lance, you clearly weren't thrusting it properly...

No I get what you mean, love the Lance though, tried the Switch Axe on MHG but never found it as satisfying as the Lance, being in the thick of the action!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

You wut? 

A weapon couldn't GET more technical than the Lance, you clearly weren't thrusting it properly...

No I get what you mean, love the Lance though, tried the Switch Axe on MHG but never found it as satisfying as the Lance, being in the thick of the action!

Well, you're both more adventurous than me when it comes to weapons in this game, Dual Blades for life! :D

I really should get back into this, I haven't played it in a little while since the expansion, I'd have tried to play the game online with you but you're on the Xbox version, right? I've only got the PS4 version.

Having said that, I have been getting into Sea of Thieves recently and I remember you saying that you were getting into that a while back. :)

Long-winded thread de-railment to say... Happy Birthday! :grin: I hope you're having a good day and if you do want to play some games on the Xbox One at some point, let me know, we could even get that game of Perfect Dark in. ;)

Back on-topic... Monster Hunter World is brilliant, probably one of the best games on the PS4 that I don't play as often as I probably should.

• Like 1

Phew. 4 hour session done :D

The Charge Blade is awesome. Probably my favourite weapon. A little tricky to use but once it clicks...very satisfying. :cool:

Anyways, playing through Iceborne's story again just reminded me that some of the new monsters are tedious to fight...it's slightly more bearable with a second player but still annoying at times.

• Like 1

Thanks @S.C.G ❤️

Yeah I'm Xbox only when it comes to MH, my girlfriend actually has it on her PS4 and I half started a new go buuuut...I'd already put enough time in to the Xbox version so just carried on with that instead! Such a shame it doesn't have cross play, would be ideal for that, to be fair it still has a good community on Xbox, probably thanks to it being on game pass, but MR still well populated too 😎

Haven't played SoT for a little bit, love dipping in and out of it so be good to try and set sail together!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Alatreon sucks.

The fight forces you to play a certain way (elemental builds, use a myriad of healing items) because the monster has a nuke attack that will wipe out everyone unless you deal enough of the right elemental damage (Alatreon switches between three...) to weaken that attack. It's a DPS check...deal enough damage or fail.

It's early days but the community seems to agree with my first assessment. ::shrug:

As a blast main, I can pretty much say goodbye to getting Alatreon's gear. No way I will spend time farming for an elemental build that might not even work well enough to pass the DPS check.

Edit: After a few more fights: I'm done with this...that nuke is ridiculous. The thing is: everything else is absolutely amazing. Alatreon hits hard, and is just fun to fight. That one attack, though...ruins everything.

Edited by drahkon
  • Thanks 1

If you’re Canta, nothing is impossible!

• Thanks 1

Charge Blade might be my favourite weapon, but Lance is the best... and this shows why...

• Like 1

On 10/07/2020 at 3:50 PM, Kav said:

If you’re Canta, nothing is impossible!

Seriously, nothing is impossible...

Tempted to re-buy Monster Hunter World and carry on my save but I’ve got a feeling I would be completely lost.

Developer Diary is coming tomorrow, described as the "Final" one, so perhaps the last of the free content updates and big event Monsters, if the rumours are to be believed it'll be a big one to go out on...

I realise that @Hero-of-Time would have been th man to ask about this mainly, but has any one else tried to take down Alatreon yet? 

I've managed to get past his room destroyer once, but he's an absolute brute of a fight, you think you're doing well and then boom, does that move and you're all down for the count.

Safi Jiva has been quite fun, Raging Brachy took awhile...some of this end game stuff is brutal!

Better late than never! :heh: 

So far so good. It’s all pretty familiar but there’s also quite a lot of new features/mechanics in there too. It’s great seeing how familiar monsters look with the improved visuals, even the smaller ones get quite the makeover. :hehe: I’m really loving how the hammer feels in this version too, super satisfying. :cool: