NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Eurovision Song Contest 2017

It's back, bitches! The qualifiers are on BBCFour right now and the main competition takes place this Saturday.

I'm watching the qualifiers right now. Sweden's entry is annoyingly catchy...

I thought there was a pretty high standard last night, although I miss Turkey. Thought the voters were absolutely bonkers for not putting Montenegro through.

So, the Portuguese song has been garnering a lot of attention. People are saying it and Italy are favourites to win the whole thing.

It's weird for two reasons. First, there's nothing particularly outstanding about it. Don't get me wrong, it's a fine, pleasant ballad, a pretty common genre around here, the sort of thing you'd hear in a nice restaurant, but nothing that would turn heads. Maybe that sounds unusual for the rest of Europe? Or is it just within the festival? I dunno ::shrug:It might actually be Salvador himself, though, he looks unique, and his performance is admittedly flawless.

Second, Portugal never does well. Like, I know you might think your country does poorly, but we have never had a Top 5 placing, ever. We send Portuguese pop and fluff almost every year, doesn't do well. This time, our usual brand of fluff is suddenly the favourite. It's weird.

I'm not complaining, though. I'm always saying a country should show their culture at the contest as a matter of principle, and I'm glad Portugal never really sacrificed that. If "typical Portuguese song" actually makes the Top 3, I'll be overjoyed.

Edited by Jonnas

Portugal is definitely good, and not just because of the singer. The music really stands out.

This is so not my thing, but im not going to piss on other people's parade.

Just a question. Why do gay people [males] like this so much?

Not calling any of you guys gay, but i have a couple of gay friends who are super into this. They watch the ESC like i watch a Formula 1 race...

San Marino and Lithuania are my favourites. The male singer from the former is absolutely fantastic.

EDIT - Bah, some good ones miss out in these semis.

I love Eurovision but am out in Dubai so it's on later at night and I can't watch with the classic sarcastic commentary - just off a official Youtube live stream. Takes the fun out of it a bit.

Catching up on the first semi-final right now and nothing's quite standing out to me yet 7 songs in, other than Swedens, which I'm sure that I've heard before, probably because it sounds like everything else in the charts right now.

San Marino and Lithuania are my favourites. The male singer from the former is absolutely fantastic.

EDIT - Bah, some good ones miss out in these semis.

I thought San Marino and Lithuania were a bit shit to be honest. :P

So it seems that whichever one you like, that will be a song that won't do well! ;)

I've watched both semi-finals and thought there were some decent songs in both, but nothing that really stands out yet to me. I like the ones like Sweden, Norway, Greece, quite liked Hungary for some reason... I'm sure there's a few others but I forgot. :P

As for my country Belgium, I didn't like the live performance much, it didn't sound like her voice was coming through enough (and the music seemed quiet?). Didn't think we'd get through... but then for the third year in a row they announced us last as going through!

I have to say I much prefer the official version of the song, it actually sounds good! Better than the live version, so I really hope she can sing it better tomorrow!

I'm sad that the "hair guy" (think he was from Montenegro) didn't go through. Gutted. Clear winner right there.

UK will probably finish last because we suck at choosing the right songs.

Belgium seemed a bit shit in the qualifier, but I think that was down to the sound quality of the performance. Like the music was too low or something. Somebody needs to turn the bass up!

Holy shit, Portugal is really winning. I know this is the jury, not the public vote, but still, it's so surreal!

Holy shit, Portugal is really winning. I know this is the jury, not the public vote, but still, it's so surreal!

Congratulations to Portugal for winning! :)

Happy that Belgium got 4th place, didn't expect it! :D

We did it!!! :bouncy::bouncy:

dWEyA_s-200x150.gif

Holy shit, first the Euro footy, and now Eurovision!? It's a good time to be Portuguese!

And the best part is, we won with a song that actually represents our country's musical culture pretty well. We won on our own terms!

Congratulations to Portugal for winning! :)

Happy that Belgium got 4th place, didn't expect it! :D

Thank you! :grin: Happy for Belgium, too, as I voted for it myself. One of my favourites today, alongside France, Hungary and Belarus.

Congrats Portugal :)

My personal favourites were Hungary and France.

Well done to Portugal and @Jonnas. A different and unique song, so I can see why it won.

This thread was disappointing. Where are all the people? You'd usually get a few pages of good laughs in here and a running commentary.

Well done to Portugal and @Jonnas. A different and unique song, so I can see why it won.

This thread was disappointing. Where are all the people? You'd usually get a few pages of good laughs in here and a running commentary.

I thought it was next week!!!!! It's the first one I've missed in years!

I didn't enjoy the show that much, and haven't done for the past five years or so. I'm just not really feeling it any more. 2008-2011 were my kind of years.

It didn't help that San Marino weren't voted through. Jimmie Wilson has a fabulous voice, and the song was stuck in my head all last night:

As for "celebrating diversity", I felt like that came from the Eurovision organisers, and wasn't exactly present in the implementation. Portugal was a nice lullaby, Sweden was catchy and the French girl was gorgeous. A lot of the songs were decent, it's just that I wasn't in the mood.

We needed a cracker like Armenia 2009:

And I miss the eastern sultriness of Turkey. Come back, Turkey!

Without you I guess there wouldn't have been a thread about it at all so thanks for starting it. Recently I've been spending a bit too much time on the net and hardly watching any TV so I decided to watch some TV without any distractions.

Half of the charm of Eurovision for me is the commentary from Graham Norton and without him it would be fairly boring (I normally skip the qualifiers so I missed Montenegro's song). Some nice songs last night but I didn't really have any favourites although I liked Belgium's song. I can see why Portugal won because it was about the actual song without any gimmicks. It was also nice when the singer was joined by his sister at the end who wrote the song. Good to see the UK entry doing well also.

At the time I really didn't get the dancing gorilla for Italy.:shakehead I do now but I had to read up about it. Also not sure about the mooning guy :laughing: at the end with the Australian flag (who's not Australian) but Eurovision carried on as if nothing happened which I thought was good. Talking of Australia they did well last night and I'm hoping one day they win and we have the whole thing in Sydney which will make perfect sense. I'm not sure what the horses head was about for the Azerbaijan entry? :hmm: I think that would have given me knightmares if I was a kid.

As for "celebrating diversity", I felt like that came from the Eurovision organisers, and wasn't exactly present in the implementation.

If they had replaced one of the three presenters with someone like Gaitana (Ukrainian Eurovision singer from 2012) or added her as a fourth presenter that might have been a start. Actually I wonder why they didn't ask her to appear?

So that's it for another year unless anyone is going to watch the Eurovision Choir of the year in July?

Edited by sumo73

Just a question. Why do gay people [males] like this so much?

Bit of a generalisation there.

Not calling any of you guys gay,

You make it sound as if being called gay is an insult.

but i have a couple of gay friends who are super into this. They watch the ESC like i watch a Formula 1 race...

Why do you like F1 so much?

Bit of a generalisation there.
A byte. But yes, you're right. Its based around the gay people i know.

You make it sound as if being called gay is an insult.
Thats because english is not my first language. My best friend is gay and i couldnt care less.

Why do you like F1 so much?
Kimi Raikonnen on board radio. Edited by Naar

Sign in to follow this