NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Eenuh

New phone advice needed

So my Nexus 4 is completely pissing me off right now, as it keeps turning itself off randomly. The last two days, I have only been able to use it by keeping it plugged in with a charger... Which of course makes the phone pretty much useless when out and about!

So I have been looking to update to a new phone, and I quite liked the looks/sounds of the new Moto G 5 Plus. I was looking to order it soon, but then I found out that this model doesn't actually have a compass built in.

My question now is, how will this affect my usage? We use Google Maps/Here Maps quite a lot when driving or when walking around, but I don't know how much the lack of a compass will affect this? Will I be fine without it?

Or is there an Android phone out there with a similar price tag (£250) that does have the compass/is better than the Moto G 5 Plus? I mostly use my phone to check the internet and Facebook, take photos (so decent camera is needed), listen to Spotify and as a Satnav.

Thanks!

My question now is, how will this affect my usage? We use Google Maps/Here Maps quite a lot when driving or when walking around, but I don't know how much the lack of a compass will affect this? Will I be fine without it?

It will essentially work like a non-phone GPS. It can figure out the direction you're going while you are moving, but not when you're standing still.

I think it will work fine for driving, but may be worse for walking based navigation, because you move too slowly for it to work out which direction you are travelling easily.

So my Nexus 4 is completely pissing me off right now, as it keeps turning itself off randomly. The last two days, I have only been able to use it by keeping it plugged in with a charger... Which of course makes the phone pretty much useless when out and about!

So I have been looking to update to a new phone, and I quite liked the looks/sounds of the new Moto G 5 Plus. I was looking to order it soon, but then I found out that this model doesn't actually have a compass built in.

Or is there an Android phone out there with a similar price tag (£250) that does have the compass/is better than the Moto G 5 Plus? I mostly use my phone to check the internet and Facebook, take photos (so decent camera is needed), listen to Spotify and as a Satnav.

Thanks!

For £250 you can buy the LG G4 off Amazon which is a better phone than the Moto G5 Plus: link.

Spec comparison: link.

It's the phone I use. Has a compass and the camera is very good too.

If you're willing to pay about £35 more you can also go for its sequel, the 1 year newer LG G5, but I tried to find a phone that was the same as your budget.

Edited by Sheikah

Or get a OnePlus 3T. It's a really good phone - and quite cheap for its specs.

Edit: Oh.. it's far more expensive in UK than here in Denmark - it's usually the other way around.

Still, consider it. It's a good phone!

The device has gps so you'll be able to navigate when driving quite easily, I wouldn't think the compass would be a big issue.

The lack of NFC chip would be more of a concern to me.

The device has gps so you'll be able to navigate when driving quite easily, I wouldn't think the compass would be a big issue.

The lack of NFC chip would be more of a concern to me.

From what I can tell, the European model has the NFC chip (something I've never even used to be honest), but not the compass. Whereas the American model does have the compass but not the NFC chip.

Phones like the LG G4 sound interesting, but as they are older models, they will most likely no longer be supported with Android updates. As I plan to have this phone for the next few years, I do want something that is quite new so it will at least be supported for a while.

What about a Samsung A3 2017?

Pretty good feature set for the price.

Seems like it might tick most of the boxes for you, but if you could stretch to the A5 then I would always recommend that in its place.

Alternatively, I also recommend the One Plus 3T. For the price it has fantastic specs and is often touted as one of the best phones to buy in terms of being cost effective.

From what I can tell, the European model has the NFC chip (something I've never even used to be honest), but not the compass. Whereas the American model does have the compass but not the NFC chip.

Phones like the LG G4 sound interesting, but as they are older models, they will most likely no longer be supported with Android updates. As I plan to have this phone for the next few years, I do want something that is quite new so it will at least be supported for a while.

I don't see that being an issue to be honest, app support continues for a long time as it's in everyone's interests to be make sure money continues to be funnelled into apps. It's your choice, but the G4 is a much better phone for the money. If you want, spend that extra 34 quid or so for the G5 which is only last year's model.

I'd be more concerned with diminishing battery capacity in a phone you plan to use for a long time. With most phones the battery is not replaceable; with the G4/G5 it is replaceable.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have a look at the G4/G5 and OnePlus 3T later to see what reviews say. :)

Ideally though I don't want to spend much more than £250, but we'll see. I was originally gonna go for something cheaper like the Moto G4, but then noticed they had a new model out. :P

I think I will also have to see how much I'm getting paid next week, as that might influence my decision. Been doing loads of overtime to help pay for this phone, but don't know yet how much the taxman is taking away from it.

If I had the cash, I would probably go for the Google Pixel or something, but it's so stupidly expensive and how people can spend that amount of money on a phone is beyond me! D:

Just stop feeding Jim for a few weeks and buy yourself a nicer phone :D

Phones before hoes

My contract for my Iphone 6s + is soon to finish. Tempted to dump Apple and join Android, in particular the Samsung Galaxy S8. Thoughts?

I think the S8 looks great, but if you're not desperate I'd wait to see the next iPhone before you make the switch. This years is meant to be a huge update if the rumours are to be believed, so I'd say it's worth holding out for that announcement at least.

I don't see that being an issue to be honest, app support continues for a long time as it's in everyone's interests to be make sure money continues to be funnelled into apps. It's your choice, but the G4 is a much better phone for the money. If you want, spend that extra 34 quid or so for the G5 which is only last year's model.

I'd be more concerned with diminishing battery capacity in a phone you plan to use for a long time. With most phones the battery is not replaceable; with the G4/G5 it is replaceable.

Groupon currently seem to have the LG G5 SE for £279: link here. Tempted to get it as my current phone just won't turn on anymore. :(

I'm assuming this is the model you meant? Or are there different versions available?

Also, does anyone have experience with buying through Groupon? :)

Groupon currently seem to have the LG G5 SE for £279: link here. Tempted to get it as my current phone just won't turn on anymore. :(

I'm assuming this is the model you meant? Or are there different versions available?

The SE is the crapper version of the LG G5.

The main differences between the G5 and the G5 SE are internal downgrades, likely meant to lower the price for markets like Russia and Latin America:

No LTE support

Snapdragon 652 instead of Snapdragon 820

3GB of RAM instead of 4GB of RAM

Otherwise the two phones are nearly identical. Same design (although the G5 SE is 7.3mm thick compared to 7.7mm for the G5), same 5.3-inch Quad HD IPS display, same cameras, and even the same modular design. While it's unclear if LG will be bringing the G5 SE to the US, or any Western markets for that matter, you won't be missing out on much.

You'd think SE stood for special edition.....but probably not a bad phone at the end of the day...

Edited by James

Yeah that's the one. It has slightly less RAM than the regular G5 but is a lot cheaper and essentially nearly the same.

You can also buy it fulfilled by Amazon for a few pounds more, which might be a better idea than Groupon, especially if you ever need to deal with customer service. The cool thing about the G5 is that you can get extra modules for it too depending on what you like.

The SE is the crapper version of the LG G5.

The main differences between the G5 and the G5 SE are internal downgrades, likely meant to lower the price for markets like Russia and Latin America:

No LTE support

Snapdragon 652 instead of Snapdragon 820

3GB of RAM instead of 4GB of RAM

Otherwise the two phones are nearly identical. Same design (although the G5 SE is 7.3mm thick compared to 7.7mm for the G5), same 5.3-inch Quad HD IPS display, same cameras, and even the same modular design. While it's unclear if LG will be bringing the G5 SE to the US, or any Western markets for that matter, you won't be missing out on much.

You'd think SE stood for special edition.....but probably not a bad phone at the end of the day...

Just to point out that the G5 SE still connects to 4G, and 1GB less RAM is nothing much to worry about in all honesty.

I went from the Nexus 4 to the G4, so I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised jumping to the G5 SE.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Yeah that's the one. It has slightly less RAM than the regular G5 but is a lot cheaper and essentially nearly the same.

You can also buy it fulfilled by Amazon for a few pounds more, which might be a better idea than Groupon, especially if you ever need to deal with customer service. The cool thing about the G5 is that you can get extra modules for it too depending on what you like.

Just to point out that the G5 SE still connects to 4G, and 1GB less RAM is nothing much to worry about in all honesty.

I went from the Nexus 4 to the G4, so I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised jumping to the G5 SE.

Well I've just ordered it! :D

Won't get here until next week but that's ok. And yeah, it should be better than my current phone at least, which I am ready to smash against a wall in frustration haha.

Thanks for the help! Now to try and find a flip case that works with this phone and doesn't block the camera. :)

Sign in to follow this