NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Rumour: SNES Mini On The Way

This may be the reason why Nintendo doesn't prioritise Virtual Console any more. It might actually not happen for Switch.

They've already said it's coming (with online multiplayer support to boot!). It's coming alongside the paid online service at the latest, since we already know that we're getting one NES and SNES game for free (rented, but still) each month alongside the paid subscription. It's not the first time the VC wasn't ready for a console's launch (in fact, Wii has been the only time that was actually the case).

Uh-huh, one Switch exclusive, one WiiU game and an updated port. That must have been hard to pull off.

I guess my point was "here, Nintendo put out all their big games in one go". Nintendo don't necessarily think about long term or spacing. In fact, I'm sure they've released big games at exactly (or near enough) the same time before.

It wouldn't surprise me if this had some Switch functionality.

After the strange way they handled the NES mini, I'm not sure how to feel about this.

At least we can feel safe with the Wii, because the Wii Mini already happened.

I was lucky enough to get hold of a NES Mini and I really like it, so I'm definitely up for a SNES version but hopefully they produce more than 50 of them this time. It seems like an odd decision to completely cut off production of the NES Mini despite demand and then start production on an entirely different one but I guess Nintendo are used to making odd decisions.

The NES Mini was excellent, so I'm really excited about them producing a SNES Mini. The SNES is probably my favourite console of all time. Also means that more people will get to own the awesome SNES Wii Classic Controller, which was previously only available via Club Nintendo.

Unfortunately there'll likely be two problems. 1) Scalpers will buy them all and sell them on eBay at over inflated prices. 2) It almost certainly won't include any games using the SuperFX chip, and probably unlikely they'll include any games using the SA1 chip.

I'd be much more interested in a SNES Mini than the NES and I know others who would be the same. I would, however, probably prefer to build up an immense, and portable, Switch library of VC titles.

I suspect the Joy-Con buttons will be more than satisfactory as a D-Pad replacement :smile:

I'd be much more interested in a SNES Mini than the NES and I know others who would be the same. I would, however, probably prefer to build up an immense, and portable, Switch library of VC titles.

I suspect the Joy-Con buttons will be more than satisfactory as a D-Pad replacement :smile:

They are usable, I'm assuming we're talking about the Directional Buttons on the Left Joy-Con? But personally I have to say that they really aren't very good for titles which require use of a proper D-Pad as I discovered rather quickly when playing the ACA NeoGeo version of Metal Slug which meant I played it on the big screen with the Pro Controller most of the time.

Here's an exact quote from the review...

This is exactly the same fantastic game it always has been except now it's so much better with superior controls owing to Pro Controller support which is currently the best way to experience the game by far thanks to its proper D-pad.

Sadly I cannot advise using the split buttons on the Left Joy-Con as they do not afford anywhere near the required amount of accuracy required for this type of game or indeed any Neo Geo title, so here's hoping that Nintendo release legacy console Joy-Con controllers featuring a real D-Pad sooner rather than later to make portable play more of a realistic prospect for such games.

It's already impacting games which are released now, so when Nintendo have that Direct to tell us all about their online plans and Virtual Console, they really need to make a set of Joy-Cons geared towards classic games for portable play.

Otherwise, what's the point in making controllers in such a modular way if they can't be swapped for different augmented types later on down the line? ::shrug:

That's just my view from the perspective of playing classic games on the go with no proper D-Pad option, everything else about the console I pretty much love. :)

They are usable, I'm assuming we're talking about the Directional Buttons on the Left Joy-Con? But personally I have to say that they really aren't very good for titles which require use of a proper D-Pad as I discovered rather quickly when playing the ACA NeoGeo version of Metal Slug which meant I played it on the big screen with the Pro Controller most of the time.

Here's an exact quote from the review...

It's already impacting games which are released now, so when Nintendo have that Direct to tell us all about their online plans and Virtual Console, they really need to make a set of Joy-Cons geared towards classic games for portable play.

Otherwise, what's the point in making controllers in such a modular way if they can't be swapped for different augmented types later on down the line? ::shrug:

That's just my view from the perspective of playing classic games on the go with no proper D-Pad option, everything else about the console I pretty much love. :)

I haven't had to use the buttons as a D-Pad yet as I don't have any games that require it but I do hope that I find it at least good enough when the time comes. I don't want to buy a Pro Controller or an alternative version of the Joy L :hmm:

If it doesn't feel quite right, the analogue stick might suffice..

I haven't had to use the buttons as a D-Pad yet as I don't have any games that require it but I do hope that I find it at least good enough when the time comes. I don't want to buy a Pro Controller or an alternative version of the Joy L :hmm:

If it doesn't feel quite right, the analogue stick might suffice..

Well the Switch is all about playing in a way which you find comfortable, the buttons are useable but personally I just can't accept them as a D-Pad replacement. :(

If you find that the buttons work well enough for you then obviously that's fantastic and I'll be genuinely happy for you plus anyone else who finds them comfortable to use. :D

The analogue stick is another point of contention for me when it comes to classic games, for some cases it will work but it very much depends on a game by game basis I've found. :)

I'm merely asking for an enhanced set of Joy-Cons including a D-Pad, slightly improved ergonomics and possibly altered shoulder buttons to be released depending on which Virtual Console formats end up being supported while still having the other existing controllers usable so as not to split the user-base but just to offer options. : peace:

Should this SNES mini come to light, it would be interesting to see if Nintendo ends up releasing some kind of USB adapter so that you could connect the controller from it or any other pad with a similar connection to the dock so that you could have extra options for when playing in docked mode, probably not needed really but the future is certainly interesting for Nintendo in addition to gaming in general. :grin:

Well the Switch is all about playing in a way which you find comfortable, the buttons are useable but personally I just can't accept them as a D-Pad replacement. :(

If you find that the buttons work well enough for you then obviously that's fantastic and I'll be genuinely happy for you plus anyone else who finds them comfortable to use. :D

The analogue stick is another point of contention for me when it comes to classic games, for some cases it will work but it very much depends on a game by game basis I've found. :)

I'm merely asking for an enhanced set of Joy-Cons including a D-Pad, slightly improved ergonomics and possibly altered shoulder buttons to be released depending on which Virtual Console formats end up being supported while still having the other existing controllers usable so as not to split the user-base but just to offer options. : peace:

Should this SNES mini come to light, it would be interesting to see if Nintendo ends up releasing some kind of USB adapter so that you could connect the controller from it or any other pad with a similar connection to the dock so that you could have extra options for when playing in docked mode, probably not needed really but the future is certainly interesting for Nintendo in addition to gaming in general. :grin:

The buttons as a D-Pad wasn't something I was happy about when the rumours emerged last year but I won't really be able to judge it until I try it out in a game for real but I just hope they'll be just good enough! Your opinion of it definitely adds to my concern, though.

I agree on the analogue stick as it will probably work well enough in racing games but platformers aren't as ideal.

With the abundance of peripherals and configurations with Wii and Wii U, my desire is to keep things simple with Switch. I want my Joy-Cons to work for everything without needing something else, even if it comes with certain comprises :smile: