NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Rumour: SNES Mini On The Way

From Eurogamer.

Nintendo will follow up its smash hit NES microconsole with a mini version of the SNES, sources close to the company have confirmed to Eurogamer.

The SNES mini (or, to continue Nintendo's official branding, likely the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System) is currently scheduled to launch in time for Christmas this year. Development of the device is already under way, our sources have indicated.

Nintendo's plans for SNES mini are also a major reason why last year's NES mini did not see a reprieve from discontinuation, Eurogamer understands, despite the latter's continued popularity and sell-out status.

Scalpers are now rubbing their hands in delight.

With the way they handled the NES Mini I dont really want to give Nintendo any money for this next version.

I don't believe it. I know it sounds like a braindead obvious thing to make, but that's partly why they won't do it.

The other part stems from the fact that it doesn't fill a hole in Nintendo's lineup like the NES Mini did. The main reason why they actually made and released it in the first place was because they delayed Zelda and killed the Wii U off early, leaving them with no big release for Xmas across any of their platforms outside of Pokemon Sun & Moon. They made it in order to fill a gaping hole in their Xmas lineup. They even admitted as much when they said that the NES Mini wasn't meant to be sold for an extended period of time; it wasn't for life, just for Xmas.

Also, Switch VC will be launching around that time. Why compete against yourself? They'd rather have people buying the games on there a-la carte.

Plus I'm still waiting for Mario meets Rabbids RPG and Mother 3 in English... Eurogamer... :p

Not to be that guy, since I know you guys hate it when I do this, but I have also heard this through multiple different channels.

Not to be that guy, since I know you guys hate it when I do this, but I have also heard this through multiple different channels.

Why didn't you tell us before?

I've also heard plenty of things that haven't panned out... as have Eurogamer before...

I just choose not to believe this one this time for the reasons I've stated earlier.

Hopefully this means that they've got the FX chip issues sorted out.

This makes no sense. Why bring out the NES mini, make far too few, discontinue it 6 months later, then bring this out? Are they going to do the same thing? What's the point? They clearly don't want to make money on it.

I thought one of the arguments for discontinuing the NES one was that people would then buy stuff on the Virtual Console for the Switch, but then this makes no sense.

Well, assuming this is true - I'm not entirely convinced - I wonder what ramifications this will have for Nintendo's plans for the Virtual Console on the Switch?

If the games list is anything like I think it will be - if it even happens - then surely we'll get the following...

Axelay

Breath of Fire

Breath of Fire II

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IV

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy VI

F-Zero

Donkey Kong Country

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!

EarthBound

Kirby's Avalanche

Kirby's Dreamland 3

Kirby's Super Star

Mega Man X

Mega Man X2

Mega Man X3

Pilotwings

Super Bomberman

Super Bomberman 2

Super Bomberman 3

Super Castlevania IV

Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Super Metroid

Super Punch Out!!

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

OK, maybe some wishful thinking for a few of those titles, maybe chop and change a few but I think that's roughly what we'll get. : peace:

Feel free to call me out on that list though as it's a bit biased toward some of my favourites. ;)

Also, it's horrible to have to choose only Thirty games from the SNES era as I could easily choose between Fifty and a Hundred, still feeling that the quality of the titles would still be decent. :)

At least there should be less extra controller problems being that it will use the same pads which were available via Club Nintendo which connect via the same connector and have a pretty reasonable lead length if I recall correctly. :D

Well, assuming this is true - I'm not entirely convinced - I wonder what ramifications this will have for Nintendo's plans for the Virtual Console on the Switch?

If the games list is anything like I think it will be - if it even happens - then surely we'll get the following...

Axelay

Breath of Fire

Breath of Fire II

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IV

Final Fantasy V

Final Fantasy VI

F-Zero

Donkey Kong Country

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!

EarthBound

Kirby's Avalanche

Kirby's Dreamland 3

Kirby's Super Star

Mega Man X

Mega Man X2

Mega Man X3

Pilotwings

Super Bomberman

Super Bomberman 2

Super Bomberman 3

Super Castlevania IV

Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Super Metroid

Super Punch Out!!

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Gods that's a killer list! You could sell that for $150 and still probably sell out with a list like that! :o

At least there should be less extra controller problems being that it will use the same pads which were available via Club Nintendo which connect via the same connector and have a pretty reasonable lead length if I recall correctly. :D

Sadly you remember wrong. It's the same length as any other Wii Remote extension; i.e, tinchy. Still have mine (and use it regularly!) I really hope that Nintendo sort something out with using old controllers with the Switch VC. The Joycons work well enough, but it just won't feel the same without the good ol' dogbone...

It makes sense for them to do this, so as DCubed said, it won't happen. It would also make sense for them to have continued the NES Mini and look what happened there.

I agree with most of you that NES mini was made to bridge the gap between generations. Possibly also a way to get rid of some old remaining tech they had in their warehouses (dem controller ports).

If this does turn out to be true then that's great as its a lot more interesting to me. The SNES is full of classics that have aged a lot better than NES titles.

You didn't ask :p

I'm getting flashbacks to Derren Brown and some lottery numbers here. :rolleyes:

I'm getting flashbacks to Derren Brown and some lottery numbers here. :rolleyes:

Well considering I got dogpiled other times I have mentioned things I have been told, I've learned to keep my mouth shut

Well considering I got dogpiled other times I have mentioned things I have been told, I've learned to keep my mouth shut

Shh... Don't tell them that Retro and NST are working on Wave Race meets 1080, meets Excitebike for Switch ;)

I heard this from my post-announcement source as well. Cheers @Hero\-of\-Time :wink:

If Eurogamer says so then I believe it, and am very excited by the prospect.

You mean Christmas? Christmas this year?

The same year that the Switch came out?

Riiiiiiiight.

You mean Christmas? Christmas this year?

The same year that the Switch came out?

Riiiiiiiight.

You mean the same year Nintendo are releasing Zelda, Mario Kart and Mario? Yeah, you better believe it.

This may be the reason why Nintendo doesn't prioritise Virtual Console any more. It might actually not happen for Switch.

You mean the same year Nintendo are releasing Zelda, Mario Kart and Mario? Yeah, you better believe it.

Uh-huh, one Switch exclusive, one WiiU game and an updated port. That must have been hard to pull off.

Why compete against yourself on your brand new console's first Christmas?

Then again, maybe they're banking on scalpers to buy them all.

I'm expecting another fiasco with the SNES mini. Seriously, it's a money maker same as the NES mini was.

Ah well, expect scalpers to roll all over this, unless Nintendo do something and restrict orders to 1 per household.