NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

Metroid 2 fan-remake

Has this been posted yet?

Haven't checked it out myself yet, but I'm very curious. It's been a long time since I played Metroid 2.

https://metroid2remake.blogspot.nl/2016/08/am2r-10-released.html

Features as mentioned on the site:

Metroid Zero Mission style gameplay

Map system

Updated enemy AI

Minibosses

New areas

Challenging Metroid fights

Stackable beam system

Completely redrawn enemy and Metroid sprites

Log system with non-intrusive narrative

High quality soundtrack

Don't think it has been posted yet, but I've been playing it myself and it's shockingly good! Ridiculously polished and lovingly crafted!

They replicated the Zero Mission physics nigh on perfectly (and have added a neat little parkour esc move for good measure) and there are some really nice little surprises that go beyond the original Metroid 2 (think the sub bosses from Metroid Zero Mission and you're on the right lines). It does indeed feel like Metroid 2 being given the MZM treatment! (Though the level design doesn't stray as far as MZM did from Metroid 1).

It's pretty fantastic! Highly recommended! It was made in Game Maker (shocking I know!) so you don't need to do any dodgy stuff to play it either. No ROM hacking involved. Just download and play :)

Just had a quick go.. And it looks good, sounds good, and plays very well. Controls don't feel as tight as zero mission or fusion, but I think it's more due to my controller than the mechanics. But they're good enough for me to sequence break my way to the spiderball before I got the bombs.

Like I said, it's been a very long time since I've played Metroid 2, so I can't remember the layout at all, but it retains the Metroid 2 feel completely, with ominous Metroid eggs, fighting Metroids, then the lava drops to open up new parts of the map. All infused with the GBA Metroid mechanics. It really feels like this is what Nintendo would have made if they had decided to remake Metroid 2 in a similar vein as they remade Metroid 1.

I played this for a while tonight. Excellent game so far and a fitting tribute for Metroid's 30th birthday.

Shame Nintendo don't have the same respect for the franchise as the fans.

Too late. They did the smart thing and kept quiet about it, now it's out there, you can't stop it.

Having said that I don't know where to find it now so probably won't get to sample it for myself. Stupidly I thought yesterday that I'd better d/l it before it got taken down, but didn't actually take the moment to do it. :(

Having said that I don't know where to find it now so probably won't get to sample it for myself. Stupidly I thought yesterday that I'd better d/l it before it got taken down, but didn't actually take the moment to do it. :(

It's the internet, someone will share it. They always do.

I'm looking forward to playing it at @Dcubed's house tomorrow though.

Too late. They did the smart thing and kept quiet about it, now it's out there, you can't stop it.

It was actually fairly well known, with multiple demo versions released over the past 7 years.

That's really awesome! So glad to see him get recognised for his fantastic work! :D

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this