NEurope
Hero-of-Time

E3 2016 General Thread

I really hope it exceeds Skyrim and Witcher 3 in terms of quest, story, sidequest stories, lore, towns and cities. I just don't see why people are so certain that it will. From what I saw, and as far as I've read, nothing has been shown or seen except from the opening segment. Yet it already exceeds Witcher 3? Why, because Nintendo purposusly hid it?

Zelda does many great things that Witcher doesn't touch. It's the interactivity with the land in this case that sets this Zelda apart, that's probably what the Eurogamer article meant, but they're very different games that do different things brilliantly.

Jump to 10:57, wow!! So cool

They make a great point about systems stacking on top of each other to make memorable moments. I recommend watching to hear all the crazy things that can happen, from about 9:30 onwards. That's probably what Eurogamer was talking about in terms of exceeding Witcher in some aspects.

Love the part where they chop down the trees to make a bridge on the river to reach the raft.

Edited by Ronnie

Witcher does great story telling and world building. That said, the combat in Witcher and interactivity with the environment was lacking. I look forward to seeing the towns in Zelda as the characters and their individual lives in Majora's Mask were some of my very favourite things. :)

Witcher does great story telling and world building. That said, the combat in Witcher and interactivity with the environment was lacking. I look forward to seeing the towns in Zelda as the characters and their individual lives in Majora's Mask were some of my very favourite things. :)

What was lacking in the combat? I thought it was fantastic. There's multiple ways to approach a single fight and using the Signs (especially if you keep upgrading them) and bombs adds another dimension to each combat scenario. The only thing I would like to see an improvement on is the crossbow, which is only useful for flying enemies. There's nothing more awesome than using Whirl to take out a group of bandits and seeing their limbs fly everywhere, or using Rend to decapitate a beast.

With regards to the interactivity with the environment, I believe it fits its setting. For example, let's imagine that there's an upturned cart that you find and you examine the area to find a blood trail which leads you to a cave. Now, there's no complex puzzle to solve here in order to progress, as in you wouldn't have to move a block on to a switch to unlock a door which leads to a room to light a torch that leads to another room where you have to pull levers on several difficult points in the room to progress. There's none of that. That sort of puzzle solving would have felt incredibly out of place in the world that was created here. It just wouldn't have made sense and would have broken the flow of the game. Geralt is a tracker, so he's more akin to a detective crossed with a mercenary than anything else and I think that it really came across well in the game.

I don't think of the environments as just pretty backdrops either. They're actual locations. It's not as basic as "forest area, water area, mountain", these are actual places with their own history, politics, culture, which meant that I instantly identified with them more and wanted to know more about them. Compare Skellige with Toussaint, for example. You do get the sense that these are two completely different locations with their own sets of people. That helped to create an incredible world. When I played Ocarina of Time, I was fascinated by the Gorons because they had their own different way of speaking and I had built up this whole idea of their culture in my mind. The same with the Zoras. For some reason, I don't feel that each Zelda after that continued to build on that. I want more deep history about each location and each set of people. That's partly what makes a believable world that you can fall into. Look at Tolkein's Middle Earth, for example.

Just generally there wasn't much to it. You could pretty much steamroll the game with one upgraded sign and it didn't feel fun to open the wheel mid combat. Occasionally there would be a wraith or some other kind of enemy and you would switch it up but not that often.

Lack of level balancing meant a lot of battles and particularly the rewards were a bit pointless too.

there's no complex puzzle to solve here in order to progress, as in you wouldn't have to move a block on to a switch to unlock a door which leads to a room to light a torch that leads to another room where you have to pull levers on several difficult points in the room to progress.

Those aren't complex puzzles, they aren't even puzzles.

90% of what people call puzzles in Zelda games don't require any kind of problem solving besides "look for a switch and shoot it/hit it/bomb it/put something on it".

I want a Zelda with puzzles that require you to think, e.g. like in Portal or The Talos Principle.

Those aren't complex puzzles, they aren't even puzzles.

90% of what people call puzzles in Zelda games don't require any kind of problem solving besides "look for a switch and shoot it/hit it/bomb it/put something on it".

I want a Zelda with puzzles that require you to think, e.g. like in Portal or The Talos Principle.

Mute the voices and observe - If you care to watch, I'm sure you would agree these puzzles/items aren't conventional.

And yeah that comment is a little bit condescending, but of course its an opinion. But I would say any form of problem solving is a puzzle; shooting, hitting or bombing something in a particular order for the game to progress is a problem solved.

Edited by King_V

Mute the voices and observe - If you care to watch, I'm sure you would agree these puzzles/items aren't conventional.

I won't watch because I don't want to spoil things for me, but I trust you that these puzzles aren't conventional.

I wasn't speaking about the new Zelda, though.

And yeah that comment is a little bit condescending, but of course its an opinion. But I would say any form of problem solving is a puzzle; shooting, hitting or bombing something in a particular order for the game to progress is a problem solved.

Well, I don't consider these as "puzzles". For me - and I don't want to sound arrogant - they don't require any more brain power than pressing a button.

Most of the time in Zelda games it works like this: You get a new item (e.g. a bow) and then you shoot a switch which opens a door, or you shoot switches in a particular order...hardly a puzzle.

Let's take The Talos Principle. You basically get 5 items throughout the game and they require you to use them in different combinations and in ways that they weren't exactly intented to be used for.

Yes, this game is based on puzzles and these would probably ruin the pace of Zelda, but I would like to use my brain a little more during a dungeon.

Well, I don't consider these as "puzzles". For me - and I don't want to sound arrogant - they don't require any more brain power than pressing a button.

Most of the time in Zelda games it works like this: You get a new item (e.g. a bow) and then you shoot a switch which opens a door, or you shoot switches in a particular order...hardly a puzzle.

That's a really bad generalisation you've applied there.

I'm not even really a fan of the latest console Zeldas, but even I can't remember puzzles being that simple.

You have played and completed a console Zelda right?

(I wanted to list a number of Temples to compare to your "get a new item, shoot a switch..." but I won't...)

You have played and completed a console Zelda right?

Every installment except Skyward Sword for obvious reasons :p

I don't know, none of the dungeons really gave me a lasting impression when it came to puzzles...they were all fairly simple and didn't require much thought.

I always thought the puzzles were really, really easy. Again, I'm not saying I'm genius or anything :D

The environment in this latest Zelda is on a whole other level to other Zelda games... and on another level to many, many other games.

To talk about about in such simple terms as the previous Zelda games doesn't do the game...

...wait!

I was about to say "do the game justice"... but that's not right. This wasn't the finished game. This was a small demo!!! A tiny portion of the game world and the level of interactivity with the environment was simply outstanding!

It completely took my breath away in places, the things you could do, and I've not seen anything of the like on any other game at all, never mind just a small demo!!!

Hell, you could run into a band of bokoblins, go to a nearby tree and lay a bomb by its base. You then climb the tree, get into a position in the branches and snipe at the bokoblins with your bow and arrow. When they run towards you in the tree, you could jump out and paraglide away slightly, detonate the bomb you laid, causing the tree to fall on them!

Of course it may not work as its not scripted, but the fact you can even do it is astounding and I can't think of other game worlds allowing this kind of interactivity.

Some of the examples people are giving of how they've tackled certain things are simply immense!!!

Edited by Kav

The environment in this latest Zelda is on a whole other level to other Zelda games... and on another level to many, many other games.

To talk about about in such simple terms as the previous Zelda games doesn't do the game...

...wait!

I was about to say "do the game justice"... but that's not right. This wasn't the finished game. This was a small demo!!! A tiny proportion of the game world and the level of interactivity with the environment was simply outstanding!

It completely took my breath away in places, the things you could do, and I've not seen anything of the like on any other game at all, never mind just a small demo!!!

Hell, you could run into a band of bokoblins, go to a nearby tree and lay a bomb by its base. You then climb the tree, get into a position in the branches and snipe at the bokoblins with your bow and arrow. When they run towards you in the tree, you could jump out and paraglide away slightly, detonate the bomb you laid, causing the tree to fall on them!

Of course it may not work as its not scripted, but the fact you can even do it is astounding and I can't think of other game worlds allowing this kind of interactivity.

Some of the examples people are giving of how they've tackled certain things are simply immense!!!

Ahhh I appreciate your passion Kav!

The more I watch the more I feel as you do... Just a growing appreciation of what Nintendo has done. They have pretty much overhauled all the complaints we had with SS and getting rid of convention, whilst also enhancing elements of SS which were welcome - the weapon system. It looks and feels like they have merged the best things about all console Zeldas into one, including the visual style - which I feel will be another timeless classic like WW.

I've been watching tonnes of YouTube videos of people doing all sorts of amazing stuff. The game is blowing my mind!

I'd kill for Nintendo to release the demo that was at E3.

Apologies

Chopping down a couple of trees to make a bridge to reach a pier, to use a raft (with the help of the Korok leaf you found)... wonderful stuff.

Just one of dozens of cool moments

Edited by Ronnie

Can you guys talking about the bits and bobs that Zelda is doing either spoiler them or discuss them in the Zelda thread. It's fine if you are sitting watching all the videos out there but for someone like myself who has only watched the trailer and a bit of the first Treehouse segment it's kinda spoiling things. I'm avoiding stuff like this so when the game does eventually drop I can find things like this out for myself.

While i'm not the biggest fan of Huber, there's no denying how great this is.

Warren Spector didn't seem like a happy chappy. :D

Good choices all around (based on what I've seen from the games).

Can't wait for Horizon, God of War and FFXV : peace:

Good choices all around (based on what I've seen from the games).

Can't wait for Horizon, God of War and FFXV : peace: