NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
peterl0

Runbow - Out Now

RUNBOW

This game came out last Thursday and after some positive impressions on IGN NVC and RFN I thought I would take a punt and it is a very good game. But first, some details:

Trailers:

Screnshots:

WiiUDS_Runbow_06_mediaplayer_large.jpg

WiiUDS_Runbow_03_mediaplayer_large.jpg

WiiUDS_Runbow_02_mediaplayer_large.jpg

Reviews:

Destructoid 9/10

NWR 9/10

ShackNews 9/10

NintendoLife 9/10

The game itself is pretty simple. It is a 2D platforming running race, with the first to the goal the winner.

It has controls a bit like Smash Brothers and Power ups a bit like Mario Kart.

During the game the background changes colour every few seconds and if the platform your character is on is the same colour you will fall through.

The game supports up to 9 players, locally or online and up to four players can go online from the same console.

The main action of the game is the running platformer game, but there are also arena fighting and a king of the hill style game.

The developers have also done a deal with other indy devs and so there are characters in the game from most of the recent indy games that have had a Wii U version. (Including Shovel Knight, Scram Kitty, Mutant Mudds, etc.)

It is a blast in the multi-player online or locally and it only costs 10.99. If you have a Wii U and someone else to play with on or offline this is defeinitely worth a punt!

Finally, the music is excellent. I can only describe it as 'caper' music but it fits the running very well.

Anyway, what do people think? Anyone else got it? If you are a Wii U only gamer then a new online experience is surely a tempting proposal?

Edited by peterl0

I really want to get it but I'm a bit afraid that the single player part of it is simply not worth it for now. Plus, I've had quite a lot of 2D platformers lately so it would be a shame for the game if I didn't enjoy it fully because of that.

It looks like it could be a blast in multiplayer, though.

Recall seeing them play this on Treehouse at E3 this year - I was very interested in the concept(though it did at the time make me recall Speedrunner HD) and thought it looked good - but I'm not sure if the online/non-local will be as good as local; and I just don't get that going so much anymore. May be tempted depending on the price of it, though.

Yeah, I mostly got it for online play, so I have not even really tried the single player.

Online play is very good, but you do need to have a Skype call going at the time with some of you to get the full enjoyment.

As it is pretty simple I have been trying to get others that would not normally play many games in as well - with some success - but the Smash style double jump with punch uppercut is proving a steep learning curve.

Also - totally the wrong time for it to come out. Just finished Yoshi and then Mario Maker is coming. If it was not for the online I don't think I would have given it a look in.

Great thread! Pretty excited to give this a spin - definitely on the cards for the next gathering with friends.

Just found out - is anyone does get it - the game wants to be on internal storage, there are some frame rate issues when run from the external HD.

Just found out - is anyone does get it - the game wants to be on internal storage, there are some frame rate issues when run from the external HD.

There seems to be a few issues popping up with indie games running from the external drive lately. Gunman Clive HD Collection has issues as well. Strange.

@peterl0 can you play with random people online? From the way Gui was talking on RFN, it sounded like you could only play with friends who have the lobby passcode.

Yes! The online options are quite good (for a Nintendo game). You can either play publicly where anyone can join the game (if you and a mate both join the same game at the same time there is a pretty good chance you will go in the same game) or you can start a private lobby game with a code, wait for all of your mates to join in and then turn the game public, allowing others to join. (Mario Kart - take note.)

EDIT: I think Gui would probably have explained that is Greg had not jumped in at every opportunity. :heh:

Loved the demo, can't get the game till Thursday though.

Looking forward to it though! :D

Yes! The online options are quite good (for a Nintendo game). You can either play publicly where anyone can join the game (if you and a mate both join the same game at the same time there is a pretty good chance you will go in the same game) or you can start a private lobby game with a code, wait for all of your mates to join in and then turn the game public, allowing others to join. (Mario Kart - take note.)

EDIT: I think Gui would probably have explained that is Greg had not jumped in at every opportunity. :heh:

Thanks for the heads up regarding the online.

Good see it's not just me who noticed Greg cutting everyone off this week.

Loved the demo, can't get the game till Thursday though.

Looking forward to it though! :D

And that's why there's no point in me getting it.

I'll just play his. Gave the demo a go, and it was definitely quite fun. (We only had two players, so it wasn't very crazy, but I imagine that would only go up with online.)

Yep indeed. The man can yak for Britain generally, but at least he has usually played the game in question. He had not even played this!

EDIT: Doesn't @Dcubed get a bit narked about always being the one to have to buy the game? :indeed:

Doesn't @Dcubed get a bit narked about always being the one to have to buy the game? :indeed:

No, not really. Even if I wasn't leeching off of him, he'd still end up buying both physical and digital copies of games. So it doesn't affect him in any way when I borrow a game. He has a lot more disposable income than I do.

And I do buy games from time to time, I'm buying Mario Maker, definitely. (I'll probably end up buying Hyrule Warriors 3DS as well, I kinda owe it to Tecmo Koei at this point)

But this time, Runbow is legitmately not worth me purchasing it, because the only access I have to online play is when I visit him. So if I bought it, I'd only ever play the single player at my place, and let's face it, that's just not worth it.

Edited by Glen-i

Great informative opening to the thread, Pete.

The developers have also done a deal with other indy devs and so there are characters in the game from most of the recent indy games that have had a Wii U version. (Including Shovel Knight, Scram Kitty, Mutant Mudds, etc.)

This is really cool. Kudos to the other indies for chipping in!

No, not really. Even if I wasn't leeching off of him, he'd still end up buying both physical and digital copies of games. So it doesn't affect him in any way when I borrow a game. He has a lot more disposable income than I do.

And I do buy games from time to time, I'm buying Mario Maker, definitely. (I'll probably end up buying Hyrule Warriors 3DS as well, I kinda owe it to Tecmo Koei at this point)

But this time, Runbow is legitmately not worth me purchasing it, because the only access I have to online play is when I visit him. So if I bought it, I'd only ever play the single player at my place, and let's face it, that's just not worth it.

Yeah, sorry if that came off a bit snarky. Was meant in jest.

Great informative opening to the thread, Pete.

Cheers for the feedback - my very first N-E thread.

Edited by peterl0
Automerged Doublepost

Yeah, sorry if that came off a bit snarky. Was meant in jest.

But, but I thought it was funny.

I love a bit of snark! Especially about my sponging off of DCubed. I make jokes about it myself. I mean, now that I actually have my own Primal Groudon figurine, it's the closest I've got to a running joke here.

No need to apologise at all.

But, but I thought it was funny.

I love a bit of snark! Especially about my sponging off of DCubed. I make jokes about it myself. I mean, now that I actually have my own Primal Groudon figurine, it's the closest I've got to a running joke here.

No need to apologise at all.

Now I feel bad for being responsible for ending "GroudonGate" and the running joke that went with it... well only a little bad, as you have your own figurine now so it all balances out. :heh:

I'll promise to make up for it by referencing your game-sharing antics more often, hows that? : peace:

Also on that note, do you think that when you're over at DCubed's or vice-versa that you'll end up "back-seat designing" on Super Mario Maker? I can imagine that being rather fun. :)

Oh and yeah... how about that Runbow game? Looks pretty decent... I might *buy it. (phew! I think my desperate attempt to get back on-topic worked!)

*I know full well I'll be waiting for a sale price, but still... good intentions. :indeed:

I played this at a friends house on Sunday and bought it myself yesterday. Finally finished off Gears of War so divided straight into this...

It's brilliant. Really clever colour scheme mechanic and addictive platforming, it strikes a really good balance between fun and infuriating.

Playing it on Sunday in local multiplayer, I was worried the solo experience might lose some of the fun as we had been giggling like school girls and swearing like pirates in equal measure playing together. It retains its tense and exciting feel when trying to best a tricky level and still has the same satisfaction, just without the high five or the story to tell after.

For anyone only playing on their own, there are over 100 levels, each with a ranking system and unlockables to encourage replaying and 100% ing, and the Bowehemoth mode is tough tough tough as well.

Had a quick go online too, sadly it was hit and miss although when I finally got into a 8 man game it all ran very smoothly, but I believe they are working on that storage issue and the online too.

All in all, up there with F-Zero X as the best tenner I've spent on a game! :)

Now I feel bad for being responsible for ending "GroudonGate" and the running joke that went with it... well only a little bad, as you have your own figurine now so it all balances out. :heh:

I'll promise to make up for it by referencing your game-sharing antics more often, hows that? : peace:

Also on that note, do you think that when you're over at DCubed's or vice-versa that you'll end up "back-seat designing" on Super Mario Maker? I can imagine that being rather fun. :)

Oh and yeah... how about that Runbow game? Looks pretty decent... I might *buy it. (phew! I think my desperate attempt to get back on-topic worked!)

*I know full well I'll be waiting for a sale price, but still... good intentions. :indeed:

Chances are that I'm not gonna get a look in come tomorrow as everyone else at my place is gonna be scrambling to have a go at making levels; so I'll probably be the one doing the backseat designing mostly :laughing:

But hopefully we'll be getting a bit of Runbow in when we're all taking a break ;)

I caved in and got this as a review copy (even though I don't have much time to write the review). Looking forward to booting it up during the weekend!

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

This is an embarrassing record but at least I did it. It was especially two levels that caused me trouble. The first was one with spiked balls that were going up and down and with platforms orbiting them. The second was one of the last ones, climbing a coloured spine, simply couldn't get it to work. This one shouldn't have been so hard for me, I guess I was tired.

My suspicion about this game in single player was right, though. Apart from Adventure mode, which is good, there is not much to do. Edited by MindFreak

I have not even played that mode - I think the description on the title screen put me off even starting. :)

Bought this last night on a bit of a whim - me and my mate played a bit and rather enjoyed it as we got into it! I've tried a bit of the Run mode online and that was enjoyable too, but looking forward to trying a few of us in local at some point.

Runbow confirmed to be coming to retail for both the Wii U and 3DS. It will include all the DLC.

Speaking of DLC, Shantae will be coming as a DLC character.

Ck3SbkjUoAART6Y.jpg

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Sign in to follow this