Eurovision Song Contest 2015

The semi-finals are on BBC3 right now.

Dat cheese.

Dat political voting.

Dat euro-pop.

Dat costume design.

Dat over-the-topness.

Dat everything.

OMG I forgot about semi-finals! I was out at the pub. Will download and watch tomorrow!

Wasn't too blown away by last night's songs. Liked Georgia at the end, but may also come down to her looks, smoke and wind machines too, but that's part of it, right?

Also quite liked Russia. Britain's entry is shit, though.

I think Russia and Serbia will do well, possibly Georgia too.

I'm happy Belgium managed to get through though! They kept it tense as we were announced last, phew. I kinda like our song; hadn't heard it before but it has grown on me already, quite nice and modern.

I know nothing about this years Eurovision but heard while listening to a football show last night that David De Gea's girlfriend is representing Spain.

Georgia is definitely my pick so far. The song sounds like a winner to me.

Belgium and Estonia also stood out, so I'm glad they got through. Going by the previews, the UK and Australia are also pretty good this year, so should be a great contest!

UK entry sounds like someone heard a couple of electro swing tracks and thought "yeah, I can do that" and then died and someone else had to quickly write a song based on his hastily scribbled notes.

Could have been good, but is ultimately a bit shit.

Belgium sounded too much like Lorde. But not as good.

Eurovision faves, everyone?

Germany 2010, Lena, was my favourite winner of recent years.

Ukraine 2007, Verka Seduchka is definitely my favourite of the cheeses. Came second. It was robbed.

Going to spend my evening on Youtube remembering all the classics.

Double post. Oh god. This from last year. Yes Poland.

nK0WIaN.gif

Lena was fantastic.

I also liked that violin fairy tale song that won a few years back, and that 'fly on the wings of love' elderly guitar couple.

God Eurovision is weird. I love it.

Belgium sounded too much like Lorde. But not as good.

Eurovision faves, everyone?

Germany 2010, Lena, was my favourite winner of recent years.

Yep, Satellite is a genuine favourite of mine too.

Fairytale was a worthy winner in 2009:

Armenia from 2010. Think I just liked the singer, to be honest:

Serbia 2011. Personally, I thought this was a really, really good pop song and wanted it to win:

Greece 2013. Barnstorming!

Poland 2014, of course :heh:. I always refer to this when I want to point out that Eurovision is just a very liberal thing, aimed at everyone:

...And my all-time favourite, the rhythmic brilliance of Rodolfo Chikilicuatre representing Spain in 2008. This was the first contest I watched properly and was hooked from that moment on:

Ah, I love Eurovision! It's such a great night's entertainment.

I normally don't watch the semi finals but do watch the finals on TV. Half the time I just tune in to hear what Graham Norton thinks about all the contestants.

It's a silly contest now and to be honest no one really wants to win especially when you think about the cost of hosting the thing now. In austerity times I think the UK is quite safe with Electro Velvet's entry.

Can't believe this song got sixth place in 2006 -

Edited by sumo73

Some great choices there, @Grazza :) Had forgotten El Chiki Chiki!

Looking back, 2010 was a great year.

Sweden's 2012 winner was a belter.

We don't need a well known singer, we need a decent songwriter/producer. Get a banging dance track from one of our top dance artists: Calvin Harris, Sigma, Chase and Status etc. Anyone could sing on it if it's a good song. Don't know who they're trying to appeal to with this year's track, or any from the past decade, really!

Will share some more of my faves in the coming days!

Not sure if this was even an entry, but I quite liked this when it was in Burnout:

2009 was a fantastic year, in my opinion - by far my favourite.

Armenia. Really, really great beat!

Loved the chorus for Azerbaijan's:

And Turkey's was absolutely brilliant, in my opinion. The chorus just makes me feel a certain way. I do like the ones with an Eastern/belly dancing sort of feel:

And then of course it was won by Fairytale. Great year.

Enjoyed 2010 as well.

Ukraine's was quite haunting. I love the way it builds:

Romania's was like a piano duel! Great chorus:

And as we say, we also had Apricot Stone and the winner, Satellite.

Finally, looking at the recap of 2014, it was also a cracker. My favourite was not Poland, actually, but between these two:

Ukraine. This was definitely my favourite.

And Hungary's was one I kept singing after the contest too.

Good ol' Eurovison! :)

No one all that enthused by last night's 2nd semi-final?

I thought Israel and Sweden were pretty good, and Switzerland should have got through. Georgia is still my pick to win, but UK and Australia might actually be my favourites this year.

I refuse to watch the semifinals. I feel like it is cheating, and I don't like knowing what some of the acts are going to be before the Final.

Looking forward to Saturday though!

I refuse to watch the semifinals. I feel like it is cheating, and I don't like knowing what some of the acts are going to be before the Final.

Oh, I'm surprised!

Sometimes I find I enjoy the songs more on the night if I've got the rhythm into my head first. but to each his own. : peace:

Looking forward to Saturday though!

No cheating is letting the UK, France, Spain Italy and Germany qualify automatically.

Cheating is letting Australia into the "Euro" vision. Cheating is not making them qualify either.

Cheating is the whole voting system.

Cheating is the farce it has become at times.

Now I'm going to make a hasty retreat. :D

Just getting around to watching semi 2 now.

Said I'd come back with some more old favourites, here's another two from 2010!

Turkey!

Greece!

No cheating is letting the UK, France, Spain Italy and Germany qualify automatically.

Cheating is letting Australia into the "Euro" vision. Cheating is not making them qualify either.

Cheating is the whole voting system.

Cheating is the farce it has become at times.

Now I'm going to make a hasty retreat. :D

Yeah i heard Ireland didn't get through...

(To be fair, those countries get through automatically because they pay for the thing)

Just getting around to watching semi 2 now.

Said I'd come back with some more old favourites, here's another two from 2010!

Turkey!

I really miss Turkey. There's just something about that Eastern vibe that I love (as I say, Dum Tek Tek was the one that kept going through my head in 2009 - it gave me a feeling that the others didn't).

Thankfully though, I've just read that that they'll be back for 2016! :yay:

EDIT - Found a couple of videos I hadn't seen. I just find this irresistible:

Edited by Grazza

Me and my boyf are gonna watch this tomorrow night. Obviously. :heh:

Last year I could not wait to watch it. The UK's entry last year was the best in years and years and this year... :shakehead what a complete load of wank.

I hope it does shit because it doesn't deserve to do well. It can't be taken seriously but it seems they want to be taken seriously, which is a little strange for Eurovision!

Looking forward to watching it!

Yeah i heard Ireland didn't get through...

(To be fair, those countries get through automatically because they pay for the thing)

Ireland got a really bad draw. Thet were in the second semi final which was tougher and they were the second act on stage. That's one of the worst lots to get.

I'm not sure it's that those countries pay for it. I think it's that they've the largest viewership figures. It's still very unfair. They could have the worst song in the competition and they still get in. It's supposed to be about finding the best song and sure why not give those countries a larger say in the voting as well while they're at it?

Last year I could not wait to watch it. The UK's entry last year was the best in years and years and this year... :shakehead what a complete load of wank.

I hope it does shit because it doesn't deserve to do well. It can't be taken seriously but it seems they want to be taken seriously, which is a little strange for Eurovision!

Well, steady on, old chap! :laughing: I'd say Still In Love With You is not overly earnest, nor overly camp. Just a decent attempt at a good song, in my opinion, which is the best way to go about it.

Sign in to follow this