NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo & DeNA Business Agreement - Nintendo on Smartphones

I think there's very little chance of this Miitomo having any real success in the west. Very Japanese.

I think there's very little chance of this Miitomo having any real success in the west. Very Japanese.

Isn't that what everyone said about Tomodachi Life?

0z4HrX6.png

;)

Depends what it will offer at the end. It is free, so I am sure a lot of people will download it.

If it can increase communication between friends, I think it will help.

I plan to download and try it, but probably not spend money on it if it's not really functional, but younger people may be spending some money.

Probably the goal is anyway to bring more people to Nintendo with the app, while making direct money is just a bonus. I expect some advertising build inside the game (Nintendo adds of course).

Probably the goal is anyway to bring more people to Nintendo with the app, while making direct money is just a bonus. I expect some advertising build inside the game (Nintendo adds of course).

That's the entire goal Nintendo set out for with their apps

Yup, that's exactly what they say in the presentation.

56.jpg

OK, so I am just repeating what they have said :D. I was waiting for the conference, but at the end after 15 minutes had to sleep, I was to tired :D.

So they announced a game and delayed it straight away...?

Yup, that's exactly what they say in the presentation.

56.jpg

They should make learning the correct use of capital letters an objective too :heh:

Isn't that what everyone said about Tomodachi Life?

0z4HrX6.png

;)

I guess you have a point, but Tomadachi Life was a quirky game, a life simulator. It was probably bought here mostly by kids and in bundles as well as by Nintendo fans. I don't reckon it brought that many new people in.

This seems more like a social network, and I think that people over here are too hooked into the likes of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc. for them to use this seriously. I think it's too cutesy and niche. People may try it out, but I can't see it becoming anything major.

If anything, it doesn't look gamey enough, but I guess we haven't really seen enough yet to judge.

I remember a year or so ago, Iwata mentioned a mobile app featuring Miis.

Yeah, this is that.

There will still be mobile games by Nintendo that are more gamey, but let's not forget that Nintendo did say that they're not just going to shift experiences over.

Edited by Serebii

Initially I was disappointed, it isn't a game, I don't see how they'll make much money from it etc But then it shows that the NX will be their main focus on that maybe thermopile stuff really will be about directing people towards that rather than fuller gaming experiences.

A bit of me got used to the idea and wanted to see what nintendo would do with mobile gaming though.

Weren't DeNA or nintendo making out they could make billions from their mobile games? I can't see the being that successful, especially financially. But we know so little who knows.

Still wanted Donkey Kong Mine Kart Runner dammit!

Interesting first project.

Not exactly what I was expecting or hoping for, but I do recon it could be quite successful, especially in Japan.

Very surprised that it's delayed until March though. :hmm: Doesn't seem like the most ambitious thing ever, and obviously reuses pre-existing assets from Tomodachi Life... ::shrug:

Interesting first project.

Not exactly what I was expecting or hoping for, but I do recon it could be quite successful, especially in Japan.

Very surprised that it's delayed until March though. :hmm: Doesn't seem like the most ambitious thing ever, and obviously reuses pre-existing assets from Tomodachi Life... ::shrug:

Probably delayed because the My Nintendo service wasn't ready yet.

Not that it really matters much. I mean, it's a mobile game. It's not something that's gonna sell more during the Xmas period in particular anyway :heh:

Probably delayed because the My Nintendo service wasn't ready yet.

Not that it really matters much. I mean, it's a mobile game. It's not something that's gonna sell more during the Xmas period :heh:

Ah, of course! I was just thinking about this purely as a game and so couldn't understand why it'd take so long to be ready. :p

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/151029qa/index.html

The English version of the investor's Q&A is out. Not much really new, except for one little blurb that says that they plan to start promoting their mobile apps around 2 months before their planned release dates.

So that means that we'll be seeing more in-depth details about Miitomo in January.

That's January's Direct sorted then

I really like the look of this app but this is the kinda gimmicky Wii-era crap I lap up, whilst I think a lot of people are over that sort of thing. But time will tell, Nintendo and Dena have no doubt put masses of time into this so I'm sure they know what they're doing.

I know they said they're only ever making original content for mobile but damn, I wish they'd get a bit looser with that rule as there's a bunch of games that'd work just as well or even better on mobile. Whenever I play Kirby Rainbow Paintbrush for example, I always think how much better it would be to be able to play it on my crisp iPad screen, especially as the graphics are so nice.

Captain Toad, Nintendogs, Kawashima, WarioWare, Rhythm Tengoku... Nintendo have so many quality titles just dying to be on mobile yet they insist on original games only.

That's January's Direct sorted then

And Nintendo will probably consider that "This Year" as it can technically count if they change the goalpost to "This financial year"

...I want a direct, even though I'll probably moan a lot :(

[TWEET]725224371221106688[/TWEET]

As long as it's not a better Animal Crossing than the Wii U game, I'll be happy.

WSJ are reporting that Zelda will be coming to smartphones.

Nintendo Co. NTDOY -0.05% plans to offer its game “The Legend of Zelda” for smartphones, people familiar with the matter said, the latest step by the Kyoto company to expand its mobile-games lineup.

The people familiar with the matter said the “Animal Crossing” smartphone app is likely to be released in the latter half of 2017, and “The Legend of Zelda” would follow that, although they cautioned that the timing and order of the releases could be changed. Nintendo is developing the games with Tokyo-based DeNA Co. 2432 -0.12%

Meh. Touch controls still suck. I also want to be able to chew a controller out of frustration.

Meh. Touch controls still suck. I also want to be able to chew a controller out of frustration.

Touch only Zeldas have been done before (twice even!)

I suspect that this will be much simpler than a proper Zelda though. Maybe a top-down randomly generated dungeon crawler like Binding of Issac?