NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo & DeNA Business Agreement - Nintendo on Smartphones

Ive always wanted this, but like others, done right. Rayman on mobile is a shining example of mobile gaming in traditional games. Then look at simogo and the like for the possibility of other experiences. Pokemon snuffle is the only thing worry thing me...

Still want donkey kings mine cart mayhem as the first game :)

And Gibbs' idea of having the mario maker level editor in mobile is amazing!

I just hope this doesn't BECOME the new Nintendo, and just a brilliant section!

Maybe they'll get nominated for a handheld/mobile BAFTA next year.

If The Room can get a BAFTA, anything could.

It's a sign of the times. Difficult not to feel platform-specific gaming is on the way out with Steamboxes and cheap PC gaming and mobile gaming swelling around our feet. I can live with it though. Official Pokemon games on apple & android devices, just think about it.

Edited by gaggle64

Ive always wanted this, but like others, done right. Rayman on mobile is a shining example of mobile gaming in traditional games. Then look at simogo and the like for the possibility of other experiences. Pokemon snuffle is the only thing worry thing me...

Still want donkey kings mine cart mayhem as the first game :)

And Gibbs' idea of having the mario maker level editor in mobile is amazing!

I just hope this doesn't BECOME the new Nintendo, and just a brilliant section!

Are Pokemon Snuffle and Donkey King new games? ;)

Are Pokemon Snuffle and Donkey King new games? ;)

Pokemon snuffle would be the best pokemon game since snap. Snuff for kids! Capture pokemon and torture them on camera for people to watch, the more subscribers you have the higher the score!

Interestingly, the new Kirby game on Wii U would work a treat
The phone would need a stylus though, fingers would be way to imprecise especially in that size screen, and would also o'clock your view.

The boxart for Donkey King has just been revealed. Best cover ever!

kingdonkey.jpg

41573_117535964965137_5562_n.jpg

You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, you're not that bad.

So here's the relevant part of the press conference where Nintendo and DeNA discuss the roles they'll take on. They make it very clear that Nintendo will be handling much of mobile game development, while DeNA will be handling web services and operations:

DeNA: "In many cases the front-side will be handled by Nintendo, and we may work on the server-side or the backend and operations as well. [...] It really depends on the IP, and we'll have to look at what type of game depending on the IP and then decide who does what."

Iwata: "To avoid misunderstandings, regarding 'front-side', it is what the consumers will be actually watching and playing on their smart devices, and Nintendo has much knowledge regarding user interface and we believe we are more competitive in this field. However, regarding web service and on server-side, or analysis on consumer actions, we believe DeNA has much more knowledge. [...] So we believe that kind of role difference will happen."

The news has done wonders for Nintendo's share price.

[TWEET]577837822066880512[/TWEET]

The news has done wonders for Nintendo's share price.

[TWEET]577837822066880512[/TWEET]

Why do people quote immediate stock price changes on the day of announcements? It's very expected and not particularly indicative of much - see if it affects things over more time instead.

EDIT:Having said that, it's pushed the price up to pretty much its highest since around October 2011(barring one particular day in Jan'14), which I'd call interesting. Be interesting to see where it stands in a month or so.

Edited by Rummy

This is an example of how Nintendo could do it. Mighty Switch Force 2 is an absolutely blistering game that needs full mastery of the d-pad and buttons, none more so than in this example:

However, WayForward recently developed an iOS "version" using the game's existing assets. It appears you simply stand still and solve puzzles:

So, for example, I could easily see (as well as the previously suggested Mario and Donkey Kong ideas) some single screen Zelda puzzles, or maybe even some sort of Metroid blaster.

At the end of the day, it's not a big deal to me. I don't play mobile phone games, but I can see why Nintendo would want to get in on it. As long as they still have some sort of traditional handheld system (ie. a successor to the 3DS), I'll be happy.

But I thought this would be bad for Nintendo to be associated with Smart Phone gaming as it is THE SCUM OF THE EARTH!!?

I feel ill

Worth it just for this comment, tbh.

But I thought this would be bad for Nintendo to be associated with Smart Phone gaming as it is THE SCUM OF THE EARTH!!?

Worth it just for this comment, tbh.

GAF was amused by my reactions, too haha

GAF was amused by my reactions, too haha

The best part was when someone picked out that quote from you where you said that they would never make games and all they would make is a miiverse app.

Reminded me of when you were adamant that the new 3DS wouldn't have a 2nd analogue stick and then BAM.

Only thing that worries me is if this is a huge success for Nintendo then how much of the resources will start going more and more to mobile.

Nintendo struggle as it is with development of games. How they gonna support handheld, console and smartphone gaming.

Ohh, can someone please dig up that discussion where myself and others were saying how perfectly an adapted Mario game (e.g. a runner) would work on tablets and whatnot? I remember some people were very adamantly denying its potential.

How about the following:

Would you buy mobile Nintendo games?

Nintendo can make money on iOS/Android in the short term. Nobody is disputing that. However, the damage it would make to their entire business would be catastrophic. It would stop people wanting to get their hardware. It would devalue the brands "Why would I spent £20-£50 on a new <InsertFranchise>. I have an iOS game of them here for £0.69". It wouldn't lure people to their hardware, it would damage it.

Of course not! The idea is abhorrent!

I... hate... POKEMON DASH!

(not relevant to this topic, but needs to be stated enough)

Would I buy mobile Nintendo games? No, because you can't buy something that doesn't exist/probably never will. ;)

There is potential there. Nintendo could make it work, but I don't honestly think that they'll do this. This is 21st Century gaming and Nintendo are not in the 21st Century.

And that's just from the first two pages!

Should Iwata resign?

Which is where I think Iwata's business structure change comes in. He mentioned not going smartphone.

I don't bring this up to point and say "you were wrong!" to anyone. I bring it up because it's amusing to look back at these kind of things. It's like looking at your MySpace page.

The best part was when someone picked out that quote from you where you said that they would never make games and all they would make is a miiverse app.

Reminded me of when you were adamant that the new 3DS wouldn't have a 2nd analogue stick and then BAM.

I need to predict that Iwata will never give us all £10,000 :p

I need to predict that Iwata will never give us all £10,000 :p

Or at least stop saying you never make mistakes :heh:

Or at least stop saying you never make mistakes :heh:

I never make mistakes...

...I'm just sometimes accidentally thinking of an alternate timeline.

:p