N-Europe

Puzzles & Dragons - Super Mario Edition

Serebii

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I had the option to get a Koopa/Cheep Cheep combo at one point, but now I don't see it. I see other combinations I can't do on other characters, but I can't see that one. It's weird.

Red Koopa only.

The Ally guide has a nifty little function that shows you transformation paths.

BTW, this game is harsh! Gotten to World 4 now and lost 4 lives to 2 Big Cheeps Cheeps that kept one shotting me!

I keep using my lowest level characters, (Gotta have one of everything, you know?)

Also, @Ronnie, you realise characters with a lower level cap level up faster, right?

You may want to consider training them up so that when they transfrom, some of the work is already done.

(Big Paragoomba is an absolute beast)

Also, @Ronnie, you realise characters with a lower level cap level up faster, right?

You may want to consider training them up so that when they transfrom, some of the work is already done.

(Big Paragoomba is an absolute beast)

I've just been using the highest level allies, one of each colour and using my Lv 1 and 2 allies to upgrade them slowly. So you'd suggest going back to world 1 or 2 and levelling up a few low ranked allies?

I've just been using the highest level allies, one of each colour and using my Lv 1 and 2 allies to upgrade them slowly. So you'd suggest going back to world 1 or 2 and levelling up a few low ranked allies?

I have been going back to previous stages to level characters up. I'm playing this very much how I play JRPGs, which is to do some grinding every now and then to strengthen my team. You get exp but also disposable allies to use to upgrade your main team, which for the sounds of it is you've been doing anyway.

With Kirby done and dusted, i've started putting more time into this. I've only cleared the first world and i'm still trying to get my head around a few things. There's a LOT to take in.

I'm still getting used to only making one move at a time. I thought it was like Pokemon Link/Shuffle where I could make multiple moves at once and the key was to just being fast. :D

I'm currently rocking a team of Super Mario, a Blue Koopa Paratrooper, Red Koopa Trooper, Green Goomba and my helper of choice is usually a Blue Toad, mainly because his super move comes in handy when I need some HP.

World 5 now, unlocked Boo Mario/Luigi and they are amazing!

Having them both nets you a damage multiplier of 6.25 when you attack with 3 different colours at once. I can do about 300,000 damage with a measly 5 combo if I do it right. Couple that with Boo Luigi's skill that lets you freely move orbs anywhere you want for 6 seconds and you can one shot bosses!

Still going by the "Use my weakest characters all the time" method and it's starting to pay off. I've got much more freedom for skills and attributes.

Area full of water enemies? I'll just sic Petey Piranha on them with a little Green Toad support.

@Ronnie what I would suggest is to go back and try and kill Coin Coffers, they give good EXP and if you recruit one, it gives a crazy amount of EXP.

I leveled a Boo from 2 to 25 with a purple one. (Matching colours give 50% more EXP)

Yeah I captured two coin coffers and used them to level up a couple allies. Crazy bump in level! I just wonder about spending so long levelling up characters that I'll probably ditch in two worlds' time when better allies are available.

Stuck on the airship level of the desert world. I must have tried about 30 times and died every single one. I just don't get what I'm supposed to be doing to make it through. Tempted to give the game up in frustration, if I can't do world 3, not sure how I'll manage the rest.

Stuck on the airship level of the desert world. I must have tried about 30 times and died every single one. I just don't get what I'm supposed to be doing to make it through. Tempted to give the game up in frustration, if I can't do world 3, not sure how I'll manage the rest.

Just continue after you lose a life. You're not penalised for doing so

I bought this. I shouldn't have. Played it once. Anyone want it for £20?!

Yeah, I think mine is getting traded in as well. I'm just not feeling it. I played through to the second works but can't be bothered with it anymore. I can get £16 from CEX so I'll get GAME to match that and pick up something else.

Yeah, I think mine is getting traded in as well. I'm just not feeling it. I played through to the second works but can't be bothered with it anymore. I can get £16 from CEX so I'll get GAME to match that and pick up something else.

That's a serious loss in money though isn't :) It was the stupid mario plush that pushed me over the edge...

Do what I did and play Puzzle and Dragons Z first.

It's far more forgiving, actually has a Defence stat so you don't take ludicrous damage, is surprisingly funny (There's like, no fourth wall at all) and just generally more fun.

It's just the better game. Playing the Mario Bros edition first is an actual mistake. It's less accessible.

Just continue after you lose a life. You're not penalised for doing so

Actually, you are kinda.

Continuing adds one point to your score, which shows up on your "best score"

Kinda like how Smash Bros does it.

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

It's far more forgiving, actually has a Defence stat so you don't take ludicrous damage, is surprisingly funny (There's like, no fourth wall at all) and just generally more fun.

It's just the better game. Playing the Mario Bros edition first is an actual mistake. It's less accessible.

Actually, you are kinda.

The thing is it's the Mario universe that's the only real draw for this game, that may sound shallow but whilst I'm sure P&DZ is a great game, I'm really just in this for the Mario fan service. Anyway managed to get a couple of extra lives and finally beat world 3. Onto world 4 now and getting some big 15+ combos, the 3 orb levels are great for those. Seems like the airship levels are much harder than the rest.

Actually, you are kinda.

You'd think they'd take from your score, rather than add to it :p

Did anyone else get an email asking them to take a survey about this game?

The questions inside are kind of interesting...

68BE8C5F-2DF2-4369-A8FE-E89C7A1B38F6_zpspqoep67h.png

408CA4C1-77F4-45AC-8130-A757A9773970_zpsvrfmrjtj.png

E2D9CFB6-B53C-4712-857C-E6E62030F84B_zpslq7cygml.png

D14B5772-E5DD-4DAE-A9A1-CBDE152AE1F7_zpsxmoecvfn.png

... Certainly not your typical NOE survey... Hmm...

Still haven't had a chance to play this BTW!

Decided to give the demo of this a crack this morning - I enjoyed it(but then I heavily enjoyed Puzzle Quest too) though wasn't sure how much I was doing was luck of strategy. There isn't a terribly great amount of content to really get a handle on it all, though I gave both 'easy' and 'normal' a few playthroughs each. Contemplated purchasing it but was surprised to see it's a whopping £25! Can't say I saw enough in the demo to make me think this was going to be more than £15 at the most - has it got a lot of content? Is there much depth/strategy to it that you can figure out over time?

Seems to be plenty of content, it's essentially two separate games, albeit with nearly identical gameplay.

Made it to the fifth world now, really enjoying it and I can definitely see the improvement in my play, I'm now using skills a lot more and looking far more combos than before where I would be happy to just get one or two. Difficulty wise the regular levels are easy enough to blast through but the castle and airship ones in particular seem 10x harder.

It also seems like I'm halfway through the game and most of my allies have a level cap of 25 which is annoying, almost feels like a waste to put much effort into leveling them up.

It also seems like I'm halfway through the game and most of my allies have a level cap of 25 which is annoying, almost feels like a waste to put much effort into leveling them up.

You need to transform them.

It's in the Toad House.

You've been getting a whole bunch of items like P-Wings, Super Mushrooms, etc. Right?

You use those to transform your allies and make them stronger, it also raises the level cap and upgrades their ability.

You should also have the ? Lottery where you can spend coins to get a random item. These include lives, BTW.

Difficulty wise the regular levels are easy enough to blast through but the castle and airship ones in particular seem 10x harder.

Just wait until you get to the castle in this world...

Edited by Glen-i
Automerged Doublepost

Ahh thanks will look to transform them. I was just expecting me to recruit stronger allies along the way. I'm also saving my coin coffers for the stronger leaders/allies.

Are coins only used in the Lottery section or should I save them for something else?

I've sort of accepted the fact that I can't go into an airship level with at least 10 lives. It took me about 6 to beat Wendy and world 4 airship!

Loving the 3 orb levels, you can chain some incredible combos there. My max so far has been 16 I think.

Are coins only used in the Lottery section or should I save them for something else?

I think they're also used in the Awaken section as well. But I haven't got far enough to unlock it.

Basically, when you transform an ally to it's last form, it's level cap will be 99 and it will gain a new skill that works much like Mario and Luigi's leader skills (They're always in effect as long as that character is on your team).

However these skills don't work until you awaken them. And that's what that is for.

Just made it to the giant world 8. Tbh although I'm still having fun the game is starting to drag a little bit. Keen to finish it with minimal sidetracking.

I just wish we could sort the receiving hits stuff out. I typically have to use a life on most stages now

This reminds me of Pokemon actually. X was my first (and only) game and while it was fun most of the time, it really started to get boring in the last few hours with the repetitive nature of the battles (or in this case, puzzles). I couldn't play another Pokemon after X, just like I probably couldn't play another P&D.

*ducks*