NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
yogi_bear

Colouring on photoshop

i have some pictures that i have drawn and i was wondering if anybody knows were i can get a step to step guide on how to colour them using photoshop, they are manga style drawings.

Thanks, i currently have photoshop CS.

thanks again

I'm not sure how different CS is, but this should be what you're looking for if none of the plethora of other links prove fruitful.

Jeez guys, a hundred different tutorials? Please, one pointer is enough, otherwise you're just overwhelming the poor guy. We could always try and be the ones that other sites link to, y'know? If it wasn't possible that the thread starter will check them all, I would've deleted them all after the first. There are some talented people on this site so why not share your own knowledge instead of the second hand stuff?

Personally, to colour your own lineart I would suggest firstly upping the contrast and erasing unwanted noise, with the eraser or noise reducing filters. If you know the pen tool, you could then redraw your lineart for maximum effect. I'd then set the lineart layer to "Multiply" in the blending options.

As for colouring, I find the best way to do it is using a small soft round brush, with the opacity and flow set to 20% or even lower. Start with the darkest shade for the base, and then pick a light source in your mind, adding lighter tones gradually, until you get to near whites for the areas close to your light source (assuming it's meant to have a bright source). Make sure you put each and every colour on it's own layer, so you can erase the parts that overlap the edges without messing up the rest. Use a small 75-85% hardness eraser for that part. Since the line-art is on a multiply layer, it should make the black show up anywhere.

Ok, I'm in a bit of a rush here because I'm amout to head off to my first lesson on character modelling (YAYZ XD) but, this is a link to where I learned everything I've ever needed to learn to colour anime style characters.... http://www.katandnekomanga.ca/Lessons/Lessons.html

Seriously, this tells you everything you need to know before you develop your own style......... ^^ I will share some tips of my own later though as they relate to the link I gave you. hehe

Seriously try to look at my link before the others........ I look at the others as well and feel that the one I supplied is easier to follow or something..... =P

Ok so here are some tips.... *I'm in class and have some free time*....... My first tip is really to do with shadows..... Don't strictly follow what it says in the link I gave when doing them... Mess around with the feathering more and you will get some really nice effects........

Ok maybe I don't have free time... gotta go again. lol... ^^;

Jeez guys, a hundred different tutorials? .

Mine was a program :P

I've never colourised before but was trying to be helpful in my own little way. Always been something I've been interested in though, just never done any.

Wow, thanks alot. Im gonna try look at these tutorials now, hope i understand them lol, i would post my picture, but i don't think it looks all that, it's a copy of a naruto pic, not traced, lol

ok here it is, i just want to try and colour it and stuff, then i can do my own one.

here it is, it's all my limited coloring skills permit

sasuke1copy8cq.jpg

oh and a tip i can give you is, in the future DON'T draw the shadows aswell, and try to make the line less furry.

This may be subjective, but you might find it easier later if you don't shade your lineart.

wow, that looks so quality..how long did it take?

About 3+ hours.

This may be subjective, but you might find it easier later if you don't shade your lineart.

A LOT easier, half the time was spent erasing it.

oh ok then, thanks for the tip. BTW how do u know where to place the shadow ont he drawing, does photoshop do it automatically?

Might want to re-ink the lines digitally too. That always helps to create a more digital feel to the image. Only problem is it takes so long. Zoom in and take your time.

The shadow as you call it, I presume you mean the colour shading? For example, the darker areas of colour where the light fails to reach? The easiest shading method is to pick a light source and shade on the opposite side to this light source. I suppose it's all about trial and error.

oh ok then, thanks for the tip. BTW how do u know where to place the shadow ont he drawing, does photoshop do it automatically?

Nop, you have to use you're sense and put it where you think it is like you did in the drawing.

What I did was, duplicate the background layer and then turn it off so you can see only the duplicated one, go to the image>adjustments>curves and put it darker, erased the shades, then created a layer for each color and painted, use diferent layers for diferent shades of black by reducing it's opacity and the same aply's to the lighting (the more shades the more detailed it will be).

I don't understand what you're asking, but all I used was the poligonal/magnetic lasso, the brush tool, the magic wand, the eraser, and the pencil when it needed some touchs.

oh, yes you can redo the original pics lines with the pen tool and as you see the result is much better than mine :smile: but it gives a lot more work to do, and I don't know how to use the pen tool very well. :p

Sign in to follow this