NEurope
Daft

The Great British Bake-off 2014

cake-to-the-face-o.gif

Tonight at 8pm on BBC One.

Anyone else excited for the Game of Thrones of the baking world?

I cannot wait.

It's such a great program. It always makes me laugh though how people just fall apart when they get into the tent. Like they get the cake in the oven and go "oh my god... I've used salt instead of sugar!" :laughing:

Whilst I can't imagine the pressure they're under, it always makes me question their baking skills when they do something like that!

I love seeing the journey the contestants go on too. Some of them scrape through at the beginning and then end up flourishing towards the end as they get much more comfortable with what they're facing (mainly Paul Hollywood :heh: ) and ain for bigger and better bakes!

I can't wait to sit down and watch it. I always have to make sure I have some form of cake in the cupboard though. Absolutely no chance am I watching a baking programme and not having some form of cakey munch to eat whilst viewing!

Never considered applying Daft?!

I've never really watched this ( more of a Masterchef kinda guy ) but my brother really got into it last year and told me I would like it. I may give it a watch.

I've never really watched this ( more of a Masterchef kinda guy ) but my brother really got into it last year and told me I would like it. I may give it a watch.

Yes. And it's annoying how the judges in other shows try the "we'rd going to recap everything whilst pretending we're having a conversation about it" which I recognise Masterchef for. They did it in the British Bakery thing and I so wanted Greg Wallace to storm in and pimpsmack them for copying him.

Never considered applying Daft?!

As much as I love baking, I only really started doing it regularly the end of last year (must have baked about one thing a week on average). They would give me a meringue to bake and I'd be like...'You'll get a jaffa loaf cake.' /Gets told to leave :heh:

I can't bake or cook for shit, but there's no denying this show is pure televisual alchemy.

The HD cakes, Sue's puns, the crazy characters (YES NORMAN, you cupcake wizard, you) and the perfectly timed musical cues. Buenísimo.

Also: lol at preferring Masterchef.

Masterchef is pure turd. The 'judges' spiut such pretentious waffle.

Paul Hollywood however, just states them truth. You can't argue with any of his comments because he's just judging the baking, not being mean for the purpose of a TV show.

Paul is such a love rat too.

When he whisked Mary aside as she was about to voice her disapproval of beardy-guy's rolling method I fell in love with them both all over again.

I watched it and really enjoyed it. It's a lot more light hearted than Masterchef but I still prefer that though, been watching it for years.

I'm not a fan of the presenters. I never liked either of them ( especially the short haired one ) and I fail to see what they bring to the table. Could the judges not just present it?

I really wanted Jordan to get thrown out. I just didn't like the look of the guy.

Nancy was easily the star of the show and I quite liked what the builder guy pulled off as well.

Will continue to watch with great interest.

If you don't like Sue Perkins you need to get your head checked. She is adorable, amusing and very talented.

If you don't like Sue Perkins you need to get your head checked. She is adorable, amusing and very talented.

I've never liked her. I hated her from a young age. I used to come home for lunch when I was at college and the two of them had some show on channel 4 that my mum used to watch. She just grates on me and I don't find her funny at all.

I was fuming over tonight's episode.

Shocking what happened to Iain! Stupid old cow essentially sabotaged his ice cream. No way should he have be thrown out.

I think his ice cream might have been failing before that anyway, but yeah, it was probably the most dramatic Bake Off ever! Up there with when that woman used someone else's custard.

I was fuming over tonight's episode.

Shocking what happened to Iain! Stupid old cow essentially sabotaged his ice cream. No way should he have be thrown out.

Crazy overreaction. Why are people hating on big Di? It's a programme about cake. From Sue on Twitter:

'Iain's Alaska was out of the freezer for 40 secs. That's it. No sabotage. 40 secs of normal temp would NOT be enough to reduce it to liquid'

Iain would probably still be in the competition if he kept his sponge. Alas, he did himself no favours.

*Never thought I'd make a comment like this in my life

Crazy overreaction. Why are people hating on big Di? It's a programme about cake.

Not really. Why do people get upset over football? It's a just a game after all. Why do people get upset over things that happen in soaps? Different people are invested in different things.

'Stupid old cow' - a wee bit excessive considering there probably wasn't any malice or conscious thought process involved. And it wasn't solely her fault.

'Stupid old cow' - a wee bit excessive considering there probably wasn't any malice or conscious thought process involved. And it wasn't solely her fault.

I stand by my comment. :D

Don't think he should have gone tbh. The Scottish bloke who is stuck in the 70's, he should have been booted off. Nice enough chap, but he's really not stepping up when it comes to the show stoppers.

I thought Diana was a bit of a bitch tonight. Firstly, she asked who's the ice cream was, before she took it out and left it out. It may have only been for 40 seconds, but if Ian hadn't have said "where's my ice cream" then who knows how long it would have been sat there for!!

And secondly, it was her attitude. "Well you've got your own freezer" and then the look of exasperation on her face at it all!!

I don't think any of it was meant, and certainly not a sabotage jobby, but I think she could have at least told him she'd taken his ice cream out.

Still, who knows how it must feel in that tent!? Pressure!

I've been watching this whenever this is on telly. I don't watch an awful lot these days. But, whenever I happen to sit down with my tea, this just happens to be on.

I properly gasped tonight when the ice cream was left out. Fucking load of shite! If you take out somebody's stuff from the freezer (even if it is in the wrong one), you fucking TELL THEM.

"Your stuff is in our freezer. Sorry. Can it go in your freezer, please?"

"Oh shit, sorry. Ok, I'll put it in there now."

You don't just leave it out and not tell them, whether it's 40 seconds, 40 hundred seconds or 40 cans of lemonade. What a load of shite. I'd have probably thrown it in the bin, too. I loved the passion in that.

This very much rattled my inner scientist, moving someone's shit and leaving it out is a big no no. Sounds like it didn't really have much effect in the end though.

When you saw the liquid go everywhere when he lifted it up...massive lol moment despite it obviously being infuriating for the guy. I totally would have had to battle urges not to bin that shit too.

I would have just left the metal on it and popped the meringue on top.

Don't think he should have gone tbh.

At the end of the day, he didn't present anything to judge, I think he might just got through had he not had an episode. Harsh but at the end of the day, if you don't present anything, you finish last automatically.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

At the end of the day, he didn't present anything to judge, I think he might just got through had he not had an episode. Harsh but at the end of the day, if you don't present anything, you finish last automatically.

Fair point, but it's not just that that they judge on. That's one of three challenges. If he's come bottom of the other 2, then understandable. But that wasn't the case.

I get what you're saying though, but still don't think he should have gone.

In other Bake Off news, Diana (who was at the centre of the ice cream saga), has left the competition:

Diana Beard has exited The Great British Bake Off due to ill health.

Next week's episode, which airs on Wednesday, September 3, begins with the remaining bakers expressing their sadness that Beard is no longer on the show.

Although the departure comes immediately after Iain Watters was eliminated in last night's (August 27) instalment, it is unrelated to the Baked Alaska incident which prompted some viewers to accuse Beard of sabotage.

"Diana will not appear in the rest of the series, as she fell ill ahead of filming episode five earlier this year," confirmed the BBC.

Explaining to The Guardian what her illness was, Beard said: "The reason I had to leave the show was because I was down in Newbury and I fainted in the restaurant on the Friday night, and I bashed my head and spent a night in Basingstoke A&E and I've lost my sense of taste and smell. It's an absolute bummer. My neurologist says it may never come back."

The BBC previously rejected claims that Beard was at fault for Watters' failure to present a bake in the Showstopper challenge.

The broadcaster stated: "Due to the extreme temperature in the tent that day, many of the bakers struggled to get their ice cream to set as seen in the episode.

"Diana removing Iain's ice cream from the freezer for less than a minute was in no way responsible for Iain's departure."

Watters said of the incident: "I have seen all the controversy and I don't hold Diana responsible in any way. There are no grudges. We are still friends and keep in contact regularly."