N-Europe

Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Retro_Link

On to world 5 now. Loving the pick up and play value this game has. I just do a level here and there in between doing other things. It's great.

I tried the online/community stuff out last night and if Nintendo are using this game as a beta for Mario Maker they really need to take note of load times. The time it takes to get back to the menu screen from playing someones level is 20 seconds. Not ideal at all.

The search option is pretty broken as well in this game but that's because of the crazy way that Nintendo decided for the player to unlock stuff. Most of the most popular stages are just ones that players have made for easy stars. You just start the stage and it finishes instantly, with you netting 3 stars in a very short space of time. Had Nintendo not locked some of the custom stuff and stamps behind stars ( you need around 9000 stars to get everything and you get nowhere near that during your story mode playthrough ) then this wouldn't have been an issue.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On to world 5 now. Loving the pick up and play value this game has. I just do a level here and there in between doing other things. It's great.

I tried the online/community stuff out last night and if Nintendo are using this game as a beta for Mario Maker they really need to take note of load times. The time it takes to get back to the menu screen from playing someones level is 20 seconds. Not ideal at all.

The search option is pretty broken as well in this game but that's because of the crazy way that Nintendo decided for the player to unlock stuff. Most of the most popular stages are just ones that players have made for easy stars. You just start the stage and it finishes instantly, with you netting 3 stars in a very short space of time. Had Nintendo not locked some of the custom stuff and stamps behind stars ( you need around 9000 stars to get everything and you get nowhere near that during your story mode playthrough ) then this wouldn't have been an issue.

At least you can search through the Miiverse community to play stages. That's something :)

Yeah I'm actually impressed with a lot of the search options, really promising for mario maker. But as always cunts ruin everything. Probably impossible but moderation would be great. Or a dislike button too so people can slag off levels and popularity takes into account both. I don't want to cheat getting stars by going through these levels.

Yeah I'm actually impressed with a lot of the search options, really promising for mario maker. But as always cunts ruin everything. Probably impossible but moderation would be great. Or a dislike button too so people can slag off levels and popularity takes into account both. I don't want to cheat getting stars by going through these levels.

Dislike button would be a nice thing.

I've used the 3 star levels a few times now. It's the only way i'm ever gonna unlock everything, that's if I don't get burnt out. :D

Would people recommend this on 3DS or Wii U?

Any benefit for one over the other?

I think it just depends if you want to play it on the move or not. If so, then just grab the 3DS version.

If you just want one version, and you aren't wanting a box, then may I suggest you head to ebay. Lots of people were selling the code for one version or the other for around £8-10.

Would people recommend this on 3DS or Wii U?

Any benefit for one over the other?

The way I see it is (and I said as much in my review):

If you're creating stages more, go Wii U

If you're playing stages more, go 3DS. Even though the Wii U one looks much prettier, it's much easier having the full view on the top screen than having to look up on the Wii U to the TV.

Though both are great

Thankfully, it's incredibly unlikely for there to be "free stars" levels in Mario Maker, so there is likely to be less crap.

Thankfully, it's incredibly unlikely for there to be "free stars" levels in Mario Maker, so there is likely to be less crap.

Hopefully there won't be any unlockables that force people to use such tactics, which is essentially whats happened here.

@Hero\-of\-Time - where was your box copy from if you don't mind me asking?

I nabbed it off ebay as I couldn't find a retailer who was selling it.

Ooh I didn't read the review - I'll be sure to check it out. :)

And thanks guys.

3DS it is I reckon!

@Hero\-of\-Time - where was your box copy from if you don't mind me asking?

You can order the boxed copy from Amazon de or es if you wanted. Surprised they didn't sell the boxed copy on the official store.

Thanks Ike.

Yeah, surprised it isn't on Ninty's store too. Surely there's people out there that want stuff like that so they'd get a decent amount of orders?

I like digital downloads, but sometimes I miss seeing what I own on the shelf haha weird as that sounds! All of my 3DS games are downloads, and I now hate I don't have them boxed on the shelf along with my other games. Especially considering Nintendo could screw me over with them if they don't transfer to the next handheld etc. That's for another time though! :heh:

I put some more time into this over the weekend. Love this game, I really do. I have 3 of the bonus stages left to do now and some of them have been real head scratchers. Some of are easy enough to do but when trying to get a gold cup, that's when things get tricky.

I have 8 more stamps left to unlock, which requires me to tip some more stars to random people. Luckily the easy star levels have been a good source of stars. :D

I checked my total play time so far and its nearly 15 hours! Not bad for a title that many consider short and garbage. :)

I put some more time into this over the weekend. Love this game, I really do. I have 3 of the bonus stages left to do now and some of them have been real head scratchers. Some of are easy enough to do but when trying to get a gold cup, that's when things get tricky.

I have 8 more stamps left to unlock, which requires me to tip some more stars to random people. Luckily the easy star levels have been a good source of stars. :D

I checked my total play time so far and its nearly 15 hours! Not bad for a title that many consider short and garbage. :)

Yeah the game is so so good. Crazy how stuff like this gets overlooked. Though maybe 17.99 is some of the reason :)

I saw you said your time is nearly done on this. Does creating levels or playing user created levels not appeal to you?

I saw you said your time is nearly done on this. Does creating levels or playing user created levels not appeal to you?

Nah, not at all.

I'm happy to play other people's levels but can't be bothered with making my own. I buy a game to play the game, not create one of my own. :D

• 1 month later...
I'm loving this, downloaded it last night. I had the code in a box sat around for ages and fancied something fun and more chilled out! For the asking price it's a great little package. Got to World 3 and so far I'm really enjoying it.

Good to hear someone else is playing it.

It really is a great little title but many have overlooked it as a throw away experience. Shame on them. :shakehead

I'm loving this, downloaded it last night. I had the code in a box sat around for ages and fancied something fun and more chilled out! For the asking price it's a great little package. Got to World 3 and so far I'm really enjoying it.

You try my slide level yet? :)

I'll have to give it a go! I haven't done any user made levels yet, personally I'm not into the idea of making levels, but trying other people's efforts I'm in for!

Yeah, I'm the same. Unfortunately, so is everyone here so there have been few N-E ones made