Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Splatoon

Retro_Link

Those American trailers are terrible. So misjudged....

No, no, no. How do you know if its misjudged? If that ad is playing on Disney XD it's perfectly judged; if its playing late night ABC then it's misjudged.

It's clearly not an ad thats directed at us Nintendo's fans, this is an as aimed squarely at pre-teens. It gives a clear indication of what the game is, the striking visuals & recognisable soundtrack could prove to be a pretty effective advertisement to pre-teens.

No, no, no. How do you know if its misjudged? If that ad is playing on Disney XD it's perfectly judged; if its playing late night ABC then it's misjudged.

It's clearly not an ad thats directed at us Nintendo's fans, this is an as aimed squarely at pre-teens. It gives a clear indication of what the game is, the striking visuals & recognisable soundtrack could prove to be a pretty effective advertisement to pre-teens.

Er, no, this would have to be aimed at under 8's to be remotely effective! Wrong market for this game. Massively. I work with young people all the time, I have nephews who are 7 and 9. This advert would not work at all!

The only argument could be Americans are different. A weak one, but I wouldn't have any counter point other than logical and instinct.

Saying that however, why are nintendo still going for that market? Play to the crowd and do an advert which will appeal to current wii u owners, old nintendo fans, owners of other consoles who could be tempted by something so unique and fun!

Er, no, this would have to be aimed at under 8's to be remotely effective! Wrong market for this game. Massively. I work with young people all the time, I have nephews who are 7 and 9. This advert would not work at all!

The only argument could be Americans are different. A weak one, but I wouldn't have any counter point other than logical and instinct.

Saying that however, why are nintendo still going for that market? Play to the crowd and do an advert which will appeal to current wii u owners, old nintendo fans, owners of other consoles who could be tempted by something so unique and fun!

Why can't they do ads for both markets?

I don't see what's so terrible about that ad, it's aimed at 10+ year old kids, and shows off loads of cooler action moments. Obviously we're not going to appreciate but I think it fits that market pretty well. There'll also be ads aimed at an older market, which frankly all they'd need to do is swap the audio for something a bit more grown up.

Yup. I have a couple of younger nephews as well ( 5 & 9 ) who wouldn't find the advert appealing. To be fair, unless they are killing zombies or shooting people online in CoD, they ain't happy. :D

5 and 9 year olds shooting people online in COD? WTF has modern gaming become!!

This is exactly what it has become and it's why Nintendo have lost and are losing a generation of kids. These types of games and online experiences are few and far between on Nintendo consoles and kids are growing up with the ability to play and social with their friends on different online games.

Should they be playing things like CoD? Probably not but this is no different to the generation of kids who were playing things like GTA3 on the PS2 or Halo on the original Xbox.

I do think more should be done to enforce the age restrictions on games. Its just become the norm now to ignore them. You read all these stories from parents complaining about the stuff in the games their kids are playing when they are the ones buying them and ignoring the warnings. I know we havent heard from him in a while but it would also limit the ammunition people like Jack Thompson would have in their crusades against video games.

Edited by Happenstance

I think Splatoon could easily appeal to those kids, easily, but not with an advert aimed at 4 year olds. The UK trailer is FAR FAR FAR better, that mixed with some actual footage would work.

But a beyond atrocious theme tune which makes Child of Lights writing look sophisticated is not the way to go!

I do think more should be done to enforce the age restrictions on games. Its just become the norm now to ignore them. You read all these stories from parents complaining about the stuff in the games their kids are playing when they are the ones buying them and ignoring the warnings. I know we havent heard from him in a while but it was also limit the ammunition people like Jack Thompson would have in their crusades against video games.

Indeed.

I think both parents and retailers need to take responsibility.

Kotaku ran a piece earlier this year about stories from retail workers. The following one really stuck with me and should be happening more often.

So I’ve only been working at GAME for several months now and over the Christmas period, a family comes in looking to buy an Xbox One with Grand Theft Auto V. Their son is around 13-14 and his parents are both with him. I explained to the mother that the game was a [PEGI] 18+ but if she was okay then it was fine. She then said to me that she was concerned about purchasing it but she felt uptight not getting him the game as all of his friends were playing it. The dad seemed okay with the situation.

I went into the back to get their bundle sorted but I was worried that she wasn’t really comfortable and that her son and husband were forcing her hand. I asked my boss if it was okay to show them a video on my phone from the game so she knew what she was getting the kid. He said it was fine and I went back out. It may well have been one of the most awkward moments to date for me, but I explained that the game has prostitutes and with the new added ‘first-person’ mode it’d be a more immersive experience.

I gave her my phone and hit play... their reaction was complete shock. The dad turned to his son and the kid just instantly burst into tears. They began arguing in the middle of the store. Suffice to say I made a quick exit, saying to come to the [counter] when they’d decided what they wanted to buy. At the counter, the kid then tried to push Far Cry 4, at which point another colleague explained to the parents that the game contained nudity and violence. So that didn’t work out well for the kid either... He ended up with FIFA 15. I still think he’s going to kill me at some point.

@dazzybee I do think you place this too young, we'll have to hope that Nintendo of America have done their research! I don't for a moment think that they'll ignore a more adult audience with better targeted ads.

The UK trailer is FAR FAR FAR better

I don't think so. The UK trailer showed nothing about the game whatsoever, I actually thought it was really poor. People will watch it and go wtf is this. The US one is far more likely to get me to buy the game, even with the terrible voiceover not aimed at me.

I don't think so. The UK trailer showed nothing about the game whatsoever, I actually thought it was really poor. People will watch it and go wtf is this. The US one is far more likely to get me to buy the game, even with the terrible voiceover not aimed at me.

That's why I added about actually showing the game... I just meant the tone, creativity, style of the UK trailer is light years ahead of US one. Light years. If that had game info/footage then it'd be a fantastic trailer for the game.

Even the desktop wallpaper and stuff is nailed in tone, bright, colourful, but has an edge to it. The games fixation on fashion shows it's aimed at a touch older audience.

That theme tune, that style of advert, it's preposterous it was ever greenlit!

That's why I added about actually showing the game... I just meant the tone, creativity, style of the UK trailer is light years ahead of US one. Light years. If that had game info/footage then it'd be a fantastic trailer for the game.

Even the desktop wallpaper and stuff is nailed in tone, bright, colourful, but has an edge to it. The games fixation on fashion shows it's aimed at a touch older audience.

I have a vague horrific memory, I think it was possibly super mario sunshine.. and all I remember is that the advert was horrific. I have mostly purged the memory, but that splatoon advert has triggered a relapse :(

Way off subject, but age ratings absolutely need to be enforced better. @Hero\-of\-Time if it's made clear to me that the purchase is for the kids i'd would happily refuse to serve that family.

Enforcement comes down to hardware and software manufacturers, retailers and parents. Hardware should offer robust but easy parental controls and monitoring, retailers should face greater sanctions for sale and parents punished for allowing children to view.

Way off subject, but age ratings absolutely need to be enforced better. @Hero\-of\-Time if it's made clear to me that the purchase is for the kids i'd would happily refuse to serve that family.

Enforcement comes down to hardware and software manufacturers, retailers and parents. Hardware should offer robust but easy parental controls and monitoring, retailers should face greater sanctions for sale and parents punished for allowing children to view.

It is frustrating how shit parents are... I think I'd refuse to, or at least make it very clear I didn't think it was in any way appropriate.

Somewhat related, I once refused to serve a woman for cigarettes who was pregnant. i asked if they were for her, she said yes, I said I'm not serving you then.

Too many parents just bow to the pressure of their kids needing to stay current with what all their friends are also playing. I think its going to take an actual initiative to stop games being sold so easily to kids or parents (where you can tell obviously). It would probably take at least a gaming generation for it to become the norm for kids to be playing games again actually designed for their age range.

My kids will only be playing Pokémon until they're 25.

Really is annoying when people ignore age ratings. I mean I get it that your kid may be more mature. We did get Goldeneye and whatnot when I was 11/12, but the more adult stuff, no.

Fixation on fashion? If anything its use fashion are another indicator the game's aimed at the Nickelodeon market.

My kids will only be playing Pokémon until they're 25.

Really is annoying when people ignore age ratings. I mean I get it that your kid may be more mature. We did get Goldeneye and whatnot when I was 11/12, but the more adult stuff, no.

They'll love playing all those VC games on the NX and all the main games released post 2016 on the NX CONSOLE, after nintendo decides to make the games cross buy with their handhelds

Yes I'm poking the Beartic :heh: