NEurope
Serebii

Mario Kart Direct

Wii Party U for me, a bit of a meh choice but I already have NintendoLand, Mario, Zelda, Pikmin and W101. Maybe Sonic I guess.

As for MK8, the battle mode courses just being regular tracks is really really disappointing. I can understand lots of bitching about that, it sounds terrible. Especially if the item blocks are in the same grouped locations. You'll just have players setting up camp over an item block and waiting. I was really looking forward to some retro SNES battle tracks :(

The courses are altered for Battle mode...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/30/5-reasons-mario-kart-8as-online-matters

Battle Mode Returns, But with Some Changes

Battle Mode is back, but Nintendo explained that it would be a little different. Instead of arenas, the developers decided to take new and existing courses and re-engineer them for Battle Mode’s frantic style of play. I played a quick match on Moo Moo Meadows, and I consider this was a positive change. But I also though the controls for pulling a U-turn to chase another player could use a little improvement. Battle mode replays can also be edited and shared by Mario Kart TV.

Edited by Retro_Link

Just get the bloody game :p Lack of voice chat in races surely isn't that much of a dealbreaker.

I think its a great move restricting voice chat to just the lobby as I like to concentrate while racing and people talking can be distracting at times.

Imagine all the rage built up from certain players, the atmosphere in the lobby after each GP is going to be fantastic.

Its going to create rivalries, proper rivalries and thats great for the league.

...the battle mode courses just being regular tracks is really really disappointing. I can understand lots of bitching about that, it sounds terrible. Especially if the item blocks are in the same grouped locations. You'll just have players setting up camp over an item block and waiting. I was really looking forward to some retro SNES battle tracks :(

I'm devastated, Battle Mode was my main reason to play MK back in the SNES & N64 day and which is why I never played the others all that much or bothered joining the Leagues (this decision was compounded because a lack of voice-chat on MKWii).

Thing is though, if the voice chat concerns were a) people talking over on another in a race' and b) swearing... surely these are going to be even worse when held back until the lobby after the race!... well hopefully some of the swearers may have had time to calm down, but still.

I'm devastated, Battle Mode was my main reason to play MK back in the SNES & N64 day and which is why I never played the others all that much or bothered joining the Leagues (this decision was compounded because a lack of voice-chat on MKWii).
Did anyone ever really play Battle Mode in any game after the N64 version though?... I think it was due a change.

...Did anyone ever really play Battle Mode in any game after the N64 version though?... I think it was due a change.

Nobody played it after then because after MK64, the Battle Mode in the games were shit!

Nobody played it after then because after MK64, the Battle Mode in the games were shit!
Well there we are then, it's not as though it's suddenly going to be missed, they're hopefully changing it for the better.

Well there we are then, it's not as though it's suddenly going to be missed, they're hopefully changing it for the better.

Hands-on reports say it works really well

How hard is it to implement SNES/N64 style simple battle mode tracks, as soon as they started going for OTT complicated arenas the size of small towns it got stupid, though the warp pipe battle mode track in Double Dash was pretty good.

Glad to hear the tracks are re-engineered but it still seems a bit lazy.

At the time the consensus was that the N64 version was dire too.

When you are making a game for 2 players you can create tight track design that can be implemented in single and multiplayer scenarios. When you open things up to 4 players the tracks have to become wider but the multiplayer battle arenas are also made bigger too. If you create some made for 2 players and some for 4 players that would be ideal -hence why some battle modes have been hit and miss.

Hopefully, as those who have gone hands-on have said, hopefully this method ends up working out well.

I'm more bothered we haven't seen the missions from the DS game return. Loved that mode! :awesome:

Glad to hear the tracks are re-engineered but it still seems a bit lazy.

I'm not sure anything in this game seems lazy (judging by what we've seen so far). It's Nintendo pouring their heart and soul into something and it's looking like the WiiU is getting the definitive Mario Kart.

Just get the bloody game :p Lack of voice chat in races surely isn't that much of a dealbreaker.

Not a deal breaker but it's just annoying and Nintendo again being years behind everyone else.

I want to have jokes with my friends in the middle of races and not in the lobby after.

Why couldn't Nintendo include it in races and allow us to mute rude people.

Not a deal breaker but it's just annoying and Nintendo again being years behind everyone else.

I want to have jokes with my friends in the middle of races and not in the lobby after.

Yet they're far ahead in others. Direct to youtube uploads of completely editable highlight videos. Not even the PS4 has that.

Despite my moaning, you're right, it's not that big of a deal breaker as I'm finally hitting the point of temptation where I might buy a Wii U. But fuck, it's so annoying that they're still not with the times and parting with my money legitimises what they're doing.

Time to think for a while I guess heh

One step forward two back. It's annoying.

I'm not sure anything in this game seems lazy (judging by what we've seen so far). It's Nintendo pouring their heart and soul into something and it's looking like the WiiU is getting the definitive Mario Kart.
Well... the character selection screen so far is rather underwhelming.

Yet they're far ahead in others. Direct to youtube uploads of completely editable highlight videos. Not even the PS4 has that.

Actually it does, as of today with the 1.70 update and the ShareFactory app...

Why on earth Nintendo persist in making these kinds of features per game instead of system wide is beyond me... (Yes yes I know that it doesn't record your gameplay into a video file live while you're playing outside of the Gamepad video stream but surely something like Kart's solution could be implemented at the OS system level for games to call upon - then every game could make use of it! Same goes for the communities features...)

If there are are unlockable characters (and Kart history would suggest that there are lots of them), they wouldn't be shown in that initial character selection list...

Edited by Dcubed

Despite my moaning, you're right, it's not that big of a deal breaker as I'm finally hitting the point of temptation where I might buy a Wii U. But fuck, it's so annoying that they're still not with the times and parting with my money legitimises what they're doing.

I didn't think about that. If this does well, it gives Nintendo the green light to do the same in all their other games. They'll think we're happy enough with this but I'm not. A mute button was all that was needed. Give us the option. Don't like in game chat? Turn it off.

Whenever Nintendo unveils a game these days everyone starts on the hype train then ends up jumping on the complain train.

Not with the times? I would argue it's more like they are not doing what other companies are doing in regards to how they use technology. Just because they march to the beat of their own drum doesn't mean they are behind the times. They are just doing things differently.

Not every gamer wants voice chat and if hardcore gamers are so bothered about it then they have alternatives - lobby chat in game or free (easily accessible) alternatives like Skype that you can use on your smart phone/tablet/PC/Laptop.

Don't let the small things ruin how great this will be. :awesome:

Who is the weird guy narrating it?

"I heard about..."

"Here are some of MY favourites..."

Whenever Nintendo unveils a game these days everyone starts on the hype train then ends up jumping on the complain train.

Not with the times? I would argue it's more like they are not doing what other companies are doing in regards to how they use technology. Just because they march to the beat of their own drum doesn't mean they are behind the times. They are just doing things differently.

Not every gamer wants voice chat and if hardcore gamers are so bothered about it then they have alternatives - lobby chat in game or free (easily accessible) alternatives like Skype that you can use on your smart phone/tablet/PC/Laptop.

Don't let the small things ruin how great this will be. :awesome:

but why not include a mute option? I use to hate random chat on COD when playing on 360 but I Could mute people and just talk to my friends.

This is a simple solution dude!

Also for me to talk to friends during races on MK we all have to get on our phones/tablet or laptops to chat.

Are you really selling that to me as a viable solution.. :shakehead

Actually it does, as of today with the 1.70 update and the ShareFactory app...

Why on earth Nintendo persist in making these kinds of features per game instead of system wide is beyond me... (Yes yes I know that it doesn't record your gameplay into a video file live while you're playing outside of the Gamepad video stream but surely something like Kart's solution could be implemented at the OS system level for games to call upon - then every game could make use of it! Same goes for the communities features...)

Not enough RAM to do it on a system level, has to be inside the game.

...Not every gamer wants voice chat ...

This argument is so silly it's unreal, simply because a mute button or a disable voice-chat option would eradicate any issue at all with it!

One step forward two back. It's annoying.

its a common trend.

Before Wii U was released we were told there would be accounts and yeah we found out there is some kind of account but its not the kind of accounts gamers were asking for.

Then months later we were told that nintendo gamers wanted 3DS a Wii U accounts to be combined but nintendo thinks that the the combined wallets is the perfect solution when it clearly isnt.

Now we get live chat but not in game.

makes no damn sense!

Yeah this has saddened me :( Double Dash had amazing characters.. :heart: