N-Europe

Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (Atlus RPG, Q2 2014, eShop-only)

Grazza

I've only recently heard of this game, but apparently it's coming to Europe in Q2 2014. It's a retail title but will be eShop-only in this region.

There aren't too many RPGs on the 3DS, and this could potentially be one of the better ones. Anyone know more about it or the series in general? Is it up there with Etrian Odyssey?

I should warn you that these videos are suggested 17+. Having watched them, I've honestly not a clue why, but I thought I should say so (also, it's possibly the Vita version - what the differences will be, I don't know):

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/atlus_is_bringing_conception_ii_to_europe_as_a_download_only_title

• 2 weeks later...

Atlus have been spewing out newsletters about this for ages, teasing the approaching demo date. Only when that date arrived did it become obvious that the demo date was for the US only, although they never said that.

I'd much rather get SMT IV over here!

I watched a vid Atlus released of the demo and it looks like Persona 4. I guess I'll be getting it after all.

Oh yeah, I don't think Atlus make bad games! :) Looking forward to watching the video.

From what I've read the 3DS version of the game is identical to the Vita version.

Hmm, sounds very much like the 3DS was the lead format then, although I assume the Vita version is at least higher-res. To be honest, I've always wanted enough reasons to get a Vita, but as this is an unknown quantity (for me), I'll probably just get it on 3DS.

So, watching the video, it does seem good - a turn-based RPG, but with 3D positioning. It's not real-time combat (thankfully, in my opinion), but it has an effect whether you attack from the front, back, left or right.

I also see it involves traversing 3D dungeons, so I'm beginning to want it on Vita for the dual analogue. Hmm, we'll see... Don't really think I can buy a Vita just for this (although I'd like to).

• 2 weeks later...

Looks interesting... always enjoyed a good dungeon crawler (especially roguelike - Dungeon of Dredmor is fantastic!), and really liked dating elements in Fire Emblem or some visual novel games. Not sure if I will have time to play it though - I really hope I will!

Also, a demo would be sweet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Has anyone else bought this whilst it's £17.99?

I've given it a quick go and it seems like a decent RPG, with some good music. Some of the humour is a bit naff, and you certainly need a reasonable tolerance for anime/lots of story, but I've not seen anything too off-putting so far. The dating sim aspects do offer you a chance to somewhat put your personality into it, although I suspect the best decision is always to choose the most confident, reassuring and decisive option - still, always a lesson for real life!

The battle system seems very interesting, and would perhaps be too complicated if this was a real-time game. Thankfully though, it's turn-based, so I have a chance.

At the moment I'm thinking: seems like a solid RPG, if the dating sim elements and story don't bog it down.

• 10 months later...

I gave the demo a whirl - I've had it downloaded for quite a while though never tried it. There is a lot to absorb. Did my character have a child with one of the others? I could have been skipping through the text too quickly but the creation of a little chibi gunslinger seemed, erm, a tad weird. :blank: The battle system appears to have a lot of depth - I was kind of overwhelmed so I might give the demo another go, cos I'm curious to get to grips with it. The demo dungeon was nothing special (something about it reminded me of Baroque on the Wii) but I was still very impressed with the graphics. Although as a disclaimer, I think I'm getting more and more easy to impress by graphics. When I played a bit of Monster Hunter 3 on the 3DS the other year, I found it incredible to be playing a Wii game on a handheld.