NEurope
Goron_3

N-Europe Weekly Podcast...?

I've been listening to a lot of podcast's recently, particularly the RFN podcasts over at Nintendo World Report, and I thought it would be a great idea if we got a regular podcast going on here which covered things like:

-What we are playing.

-A retro section

-Maybe a feature or so (i.e. N-europe revisits the N64).

We've got a great bunch of people on here and like most people, I love coming on here and reading the varied opinions people have and having some good discussion. Of course, I don't want to do a podcast that comes across fanboyish; I want a podcast full of good discussion and a bit of banter.

So, my questions...

1. How easy is it to set this up a podcast?

2. Who would be interested in being involved? I've done a bit of radio work during my time at Uni so I'm happy to host, but we'd need 4-5 of us altogether who can regularly be involved.

Peace yo!

I wouldn't mind helping out, but I'll have to have some game on a Nintendo console to play first. There's nothing out which I plan to get soon.

I was involved in the previous 2 podcasts on N-Europe a couple of years ago and would possibly be interested in being involved again. From what I understand, it was a relatively sizeable amount of work editing everything together, but I'm more than happy to talk about games I'm currently playing and whatever other news there may be :smile:

I'd be interested to help out. However my lack of Nintendo home console may hold me back somewhat...I currently record two podcasts one weekly and one monthly so will gladly help out in whatever way if it's deemed I can't take part! Although a slightly less Nintendo focused member may help prevent rampant fanboyism

Doing the show live via Google Hangouts may be worth a try, you can then rip the audio from youtube and save on editing time plus have the community taking part along the way.

I was involved in the previous 2 podcasts on N-Europe a couple of years ago and would possibly be interested in being involved again. From what I understand, it was a relatively sizeable amount of work editing everything together, but I'm more than happy to talk about games I'm currently playing and whatever other news there may be :smile:

Yeah, I was listening to the second episode yesterday. The Mario Kart banter was great and I loled at Rez when you and darksnowman started talking Pro Evo. :D

Yeah, I was listening to the second episode yesterday. The Mario Kart banter was great and I loled at Rez when you and darksnowman started talking Pro Evo. :D

Fancy being involved? It'd be great to have you onboard as you're always playing something :)

Great stuff! Who was it that put the content together? I'm pretty rubbish with tech but tempted to put my name forward to edit the thing.

I'd be interested to help out. However my lack of Nintendo home console may hold me back somewhat...I currently record two podcasts one weekly and one monthly so will gladly help out in whatever way if it's deemed I can't take part! Although a slightly less Nintendo focused member may help prevent rampant fanboyism

Doing the show live via Google Hangouts may be worth a try, you can then rip the audio from youtube and save on editing time plus have the community taking part along the way.

Awesome! I've never heard of hangouts but I will check it out :)

Is it really that much work?

All you'd have to do is just act like we're in a pub and talk about games for an hour and presto.

I'm interested to talk about stuff as well, although I'm usually not up-to-date with all the games if that matters.

I tend to game at my own pace.

I've just checked out google hangouts and it seems very straight forward. All I would need as an extra is some kind of intro which someone could make (maybe a 10-15 second clip of famous Nintendo sound bites...).

I'm interested to talk about stuff as well, although I'm usually not up-to-date with all the games if that matters.

I tend to game at my own pace.

I'm the same :heh:

I'm generally never playing anything that has just been released as I always feel like I have plenty of other games to be getting on with! This week, for instance, I've played some Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on N64, Chu Chu Rocket on Dreamcast and PaRappa the Rapper on PS1 whilst also trying to see Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS through to the end : peace:

Awesome! I've never heard of hangouts but I will check it out :)

I guess that's a thanks for the advice but a no to my offer of involvement :p

I guess that's a thanks for the advice but a no to my offer of involvement :p

Oh no, I would definitely love to have you onboard :hehe: For now I'm just seeing if there's interest, then I'd like to see if it's possible. After that it comes down to finding a time where 4-5 of us are free :hmm:

@Retro_Link, any chance you'd be interested?

I'd be interested.

Like you say, it's just finding a good time everyone could to do it, or I suppose people can swap in and out maybe if quite a few are interested but we just want a few on the podcast each week, maybe depending on the discussions.

Because as others have said, I don't have a Wii U, although I feel I could talk about the games on it at least, and of course whatever we are playing atm, retro games etc...

I think @Goron_3 is just gathering ideas on how to do this at the moment! before giving people roles.

I know I was kidding he replied to everyone else saying great you wanna be involved? and then just took my suggestion and nothing from it..... I added a :p to indicate my quip!

I like to talk a lot of shit so I wouldn't mind taking part :heh:

Of course, this is assuming that talk about non-nintendo games is ok. I think if you're going to do this, there's little reason to tether it to N-Europe rather than just set up a separate domain name and host it from there, which I would be happy to do since it's pretty cheap.

Edited by The Bard

Of course, this is assuming that talk about non-nintendo games is ok. I think if you're going to do this, there's little reason to tether it to N-Europe rather than just set up a separate domain name and host it from there, which I would be happy to do since it's pretty cheap.

I'd definitely be up for non-Nintendo talk. The first section would be a 'what are you playing' section where you could talk about a game on any console :) I thought about starting a separate site but then it just made sense to do it on here, given we all post here and what not.

If you're going to be N-Europe Community Podcast I don't see any problem with talking multiformat as obviously there is a sizeable number of non-Nintendo focussed community members.

Bring it on.

Edited by Fused King

If you're going to be N-Europe Community Podcast I don't see any problem with talking multiformat as obviously there is a sizeable number of non-Nintendo focussed community members.

I disagree. The N-Europe name has always been linked in with Nintendo, as has its heritage (Revolution-Europe, Cube-Europe). If you're going to talk about other formats, drop the usage of the N-Europe name.

I disagree. The N-Europe name has always been linked in with Nintendo, as has its heritage (Revolution-Europe, Cube-Europe). If you're going to talk about other formats, drop the usage of the N-Europe name.

By that logic why have an Other Consoles board? Like I said if it's a community podcast, akin to a fans show whatever then it becomes a mute point they are talking about the community they are a part of a large part of which is centred around things other than Nintendo....

By that logic why have an Other Consoles board? Like I said if it's a community podcast, akin to a fans show whatever then it becomes a mute point they are talking about the community they are a part of a large part of which is centred around things other than Nintendo....

The other consoles board is an accessory to the main forum, in this case the Wii U board, or Nintendo board, or whatever it's called at that present time. It's similar to how the RedCafe Man United boards have a section where you can talk about general football stuff.

I don't feel comfortable with the idea of using the N-Europe name to then discuss rival consoles, as we are still N-Europe. It is meant to be Nintendo orientated and it should stay that way as long as that name is above the door. You wouldn't expect there to be a Southampton FC podcast on a Portsmouth website. It seems pretty obvious to me.

The other consoles board is an accessory to the main forum, in this case the Wii U board, or Nintendo board, or whatever it's called at that present time. It's similar to how the RedCafe Man United boards have a section where you can talk about general football stuff.

I don't feel comfortable with the idea of using the N-Europe name to then discuss rival consoles, as we are still N-Europe. It is meant to be Nintendo orientated and it should stay that way as long as that name is above the door. You wouldn't expect there to be a Southampton FC podcast on a Portsmouth website. It seems pretty obvious to me.

Hmmmm ok so the football example granted makes sense in some ways and not in other, it's not a direct comparison. However I'd say you do get club centric podcasts that still talk in general terms about football because nothing exists in a bubble. A community podcast that isn't claiming to be the official podcast of this site but rather made up of it's diverse members. Like 3 of the people interested in this thread have brought up non-Nintendo talk.

I get your meaning of protecting the brand of N-Europe but I feel not realizing and reflecting on the fact that this community as a whole has evolved along with people who have moved away from Nintendo currently offers and representing that in a podcast would be a mistake.

IGN for example have podcast beyond it's sony orientated podcast but they don't ignore the fact that other consoles exist and those guys do cover other platforms content in videos and articles.

N-Europe's community is fantastic and a great podcast that doesn't persecute could be a real success.

Hmmmm ok so the football example granted makes sense in some ways and not in other, it's not a direct comparison. However I'd say you do get club centric podcasts that still talk in general terms about football because nothing exists in a bubble. A community podcast that isn't claiming to be the official podcast of this site but rather made up of it's diverse members. Like 3 of the people interested in this thread have brought up non-Nintendo talk.

The football example does make sense because you could copy and paste different names into the places and the logic behind it is still sound. You wouldn't catch Liverpool fans running a podcast about Man United on their website (unless it was to belittle them). It's just not a done thing. By all means, run your own podcasts (we're not the police) but the N-Europe name shouldn't be brought into it. As Goron said, he almost made his own special site for it but decided to do it here anyway.

I get your meaning of protecting the brand of N-Europe but I feel not realizing and reflecting on the fact that this community as a whole has evolved along with people who have moved away from Nintendo currently offers and representing that in a podcast would be a mistake.

I feel pretty strongly on this issue, especially as somebody in the past who has had ties with the main website. I feel that we, as N-Europe have already gone far out of our way to make this place more than hospitable for people to discuss their views on other systems. I would say it's about time we stuck to our roots and remembered that are meant to be Nintendo orientated. At least, like I said, whilst that name is still above the door.

IGN for example have podcast beyond it's sony orientated podcast but they don't ignore the fact that other consoles exist and those guys do cover other platforms content in videos and articles.

IGN are a bit different as they have their fingers in many pies anyway. They don't have any allegiance towards one brand, so they can pretty much get away with it.

N-Europe's community is fantastic and a great podcast that doesn't persecute could be a real success.

That's lovely. It doesn't change anything, though and I think it's a perfectly reasonable to suggest that we don't use the N-Europe name.

Like I said, it's a suggestion and I do feel quite strongly on this one. A podcast done by Nintendo fans on a Nintendo website about Nintendo could be a real success.

The football example does make sense because you could copy and paste different names into the places and the logic behind it is still sound. You wouldn't catch Liverpool fans running a podcast about Man United on their website (unless it was to belittle them). It's just not a done thing. By all means, run your own podcasts (we're not the police) but the N-Europe name shouldn't be brought into it. As Goron said, he almost made his own special site for it but decided to do it here anyway.

I feel pretty strongly on this issue, especially as somebody in the past who has had ties with the main website. I feel that we, as N-Europe have already gone far out of our way to make this place more than hospitable for people to discuss their views on other systems. I would say it's about time we stuck to our roots and remembered that are meant to be Nintendo orientated. At least, like I said, whilst that name is still above the door.

IGN are a bit different as they have their fingers in many pies anyway. They don't have any allegiance towards one brand, so they can pretty much get away with it.

That's lovely. It doesn't change anything, though and I think it's a perfectly reasonable to suggest that we don't use the N-Europe name.

Like I said, it's a suggestion and I do feel quite strongly on this one. A podcast done by Nintendo fans on a Nintendo website about Nintendo could be a real success.

Ok I'm just gonna duck out of this....all I'm saying is a community podcast that actually reflects the actual nature of the N-Europe community should not be viewed as a bad thing. The community is what it is....statements like we've gone far out of our way to make this place more than hospitable for people to discuss their views on other systems make it sound like we're refugees being held to ransom or something....like we should be grateful in some way, when each and every member who posts on here makes this place what it is not the "we" as you put it. Coupled with statements like let's remember our roots just hit it home and has made me feel really quite unwelcome...

Anyway I didn't expect you to get so angry/heated, I thought we were having a normal conversation sorry if I've pissed you off.

Whatever we do, Serebii needs his own special segment with him going through anti-NINTENDO comments and countering them.

And we could also involve the N-Europe Mario Kart League when that comes into play!

----

I get what you're saying Fiercy_Link, but we could still make ita 70-30 split or something...

Or we could just have people talk about what they've been playing like Goron said, and if those games happen to be on non-NINTENDO systems then so be it.

There is no harm in discussing non-NINTENDO related things in the industry, but I do believe that NINTENDO should be the core of the show if we would slap the N-Europe 'brand' on it.

It would be like an opposite BonusRound :laughing:

cuz all they ever do is mention NINTENDO briefly and mockingly

Edited by Fused King