NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dazzybee

Meet Up, Gaming Tournament extravaganza!

Okay, I'll try and be concise and not rambly.

So, my company organised a Japanese festival in Lincoln last year, we got some funding from The japan Society and some sponsorship and local council money; we showed films (we got the high def 25th Anniversary of Akira before it was officially released in the UK from Manga and Pigs and Battleships), we had an art exhibition of a local Japanese artist, Japanese musicians playing traditional music, free food and drink, hundreds of hundreds of pounds worth of prizes... it was great.

Anyways, we're doing another this year, we have more money, more support and we're adding loads to it. More films, more workshops etc But one of the events I'm running is an all day video game (though probably just Nintendo) tournament event - so basically a large venue in Lincoln, the cafe/bar will be a street pass meet up hub for gaming and drinks and such; the main hall will have a cinema screen housing the main tournament matches; with loss of HD Tv's lining the outskirts of the venue for heats and just general gaming fun - maybe retro consoles for old multiplayer games and such. Also will encourage a huge cos play event.

We'll have big(ish) prizes for the tournaments, and best costumes and hopefully it'll jus be an awesome day.

My point is two things really, one. would n-europe be up for maybe partnering in some way with the event? I don't mean money, just help and support in some way. Basically, in theory, is that something which would be of interest. And who on this site runs things now? @Ashley? Secondly, this place holds meet ups, and wondered if people would be up for an N-europe meet up in Lincoln (random place) and being a part of a big tournament day!!

There'll be lots of other japanese activities over the weekend so people could stay all weekend, I'll have great deals with local B&B's so could sort that out.

So who'd be up for it? Anyone interested in helping in some way? Any additional ideas, absolutely anything!!

Hi dazzy, I can probably be more helpful contacts wise. Unfortunately bluey and I host similar events of our own now (including helping with StreetPass Brum!) so having the time to get involved with another group is something that we'd want to do but probably shouldn't for our sanities' sake!

I'd highly recommend getting in touch with Lincoln's local StreetPass team: https://www.facebook.com/streetpasslincoln?fref=ts

Sam Kenealy runs that group and is likely to be able to get you in touch with your local Nintendo rep and possible Nintendo UK's community manager, who is a really nice guy. They might lend you some capture units that can be hooked up to TVs if you get reeeeeally lucky but they will come with technicians and basically bodyguards. Politically, you need to make this worth Nintendo's while and they have budgetary constraints so keep that all in mind if you do end up talking to them.

Take a look at the Winter Pokémon event that they did to get an idea of how awesome some of their official mascot costumes are: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.186148238255198&type=1

As far as other ideas go, I think that street performance and food would go pretty high on my list of culturally Japanese vibes. Things like ramune, interesting tea (like sakura tea) and some of the weirder food like takoyaki or something pretty fun like "make-your-own" okonamiyaki would be great. I would say do sushi as well but I don't think it would have the impact that it would have done say 10 years ago.

You need to get some decent gatchapon machines too ;-)

Okay, I'll try and be concise and not rambly.

So, my company organised a Japanese festival in Lincoln last year, we got some funding from The japan Society and some sponsorship and local council money; we showed films (we got the high def 25th Anniversary of Akira before it was officially released in the UK from Manga and Pigs and Battleships), we had an art exhibition of a local Japanese artist, Japanese musicians playing traditional music, free food and drink, hundreds of hundreds of pounds worth of prizes... it was great.

Anyways, we're doing another this year, we have more money, more support and we're adding loads to it. More films, more workshops etc But one of the events I'm running is an all day video game (though probably just Nintendo) tournament event - so basically a large venue in Lincoln, the cafe/bar will be a street pass meet up hub for gaming and drinks and such; the main hall will have a cinema screen housing the main tournament matches; with loss of HD Tv's lining the outskirts of the venue for heats and just general gaming fun - maybe retro consoles for old multiplayer games and such. Also will encourage a huge cos play event.

We'll have big(ish) prizes for the tournaments, and best costumes and hopefully it'll jus be an awesome day.

My point is two things really, one. would n-europe be up for maybe partnering in some way with the event? I don't mean money, just help and support in some way. Basically, in theory, is that something which would be of interest. And who on this site runs things now? @Ashley? Secondly, this place holds meet ups, and wondered if people would be up for an N-europe meet up in Lincoln (random place) and being a part of a big tournament day!!

There'll be lots of other japanese activities over the weekend so people could stay all weekend, I'll have great deals with local B&B's so could sort that out.

So who'd be up for it? Anyone interested in helping in some way? Any additional ideas, absolutely anything!!

Glad to hear your finally getting this off the ground. I remember you mentioning it way back when we were recording podcasts and the like...

Id go to Lincoln for a meet :p Could convince moogle as well, hes local to me :D

Not anymore, I'm afraid; I've moved to Oxford.

Unless I combine with a trip to the 'rents.

Any more info like dates times location? Would probably go a bit of a way to finding out if people would attend :p

Oh God I wish someone else was running this place at times. Imagine all the free time I'd have! :heh:

This sounds like a nice idea, be cool to have an N-Europe logo up somewhere :p Lincoln isn't far away for me, when would this be taking place, roughly?

Cheers @Jamba that's great help. I read about your street pass events, great to hear about them! We're going to turn ours into a full on experience so music, food an drinks and such will be part of the whole thing!

And yeah @flameboy, I've had the idea a while :) We've got some funding for another festival so no better time! Shame you buggered off to Canada!!

Originally I was thinking June July time, but actually I think late September October would be best; Lincoln is a bit of a student city (has two uni's) so we need to capture them (plus they'd be up for the cos-play side of things), and it really gives us time to nail the whole event, get more sponsors, get some good marketing going etc.

If people were up for coming, would people be up for cosplaying it :)

Also, anyone have any ideas on how the tournaments could work and what games would be great for it? More and more I'm thinking of it being solely Nintendo - Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros Brawl (unless the new one is out much sooner than expected), Mario Strikers, Pikmin 3, Wii Sports, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, super soccer, any other random games :)

Also, what do people think would be good for the surrounding areas - retro consoles to play some games, smaller units for people just to play, or more obscure games people may not have played from Japan/America?! etc?!

I'm glad you said that there are two Universities in Lincoln, most people aren't aware of the other one! Bishop Grot students love dressing up, especially the Drama in the Community bunch. Most of them don't start until October I believe.

Sign in to follow this