Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo and Online Gaming. What's The Deal?

Hero-of-Time

I don't mean about their general ineptitude with online, I'm with You there. But surely they're not adding loads to splatoon after some backlash (otherwise voice chat would be in which people have complained more about). You've turned cynical Kav :)

You'll download the demo. You'll fall in love. And that preorder will be in by Saturday night!

I'm going to Belfast tomorrow morning until Monday night so I'll not download it, haha.

It's an empty shell of a game, so few game modes, so few online functions. It's laughable!

Imagine if CoD only launched with Team Deathmatch and no options like partying up and voice-chat! Nintendo is ripping people off with lack of content in Splatoon! It should not be a full price game!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to Belfast tomorrow morning until Monday night so I'll not download it, haha.

It's an empty shell of a game, so few game modes, so few online functions. It's laughable!

Imagine if CoD only launched with Team Deathmatch and no options like partying up and voice-chat! Nintendo is ripping people off with lack of content in Splatoon! It should not be a full price game!

It isn't. The RRP is £35. Fair enough I guess. It's all coming eventually, but still looks the most original game ive seen in years and years!

Can't remember that last time I paid more than £35 for a game on release.

The Witcher and Batman have both been preordered for 35 each. I got FIFA and Destiny on release date for the same price.

This. Precisely this.

Can't remember that last time I paid more than £35 for a game on release.

The Witcher and Batman have both been preordered for 35 each. I got FIFA and Destiny on release date for the same price.

And you can get this cheaper. I said RRP. Even Nintendo are offering the digital version for £31. Not really fair to compare sale/bargain prices against RRP of something else....

People really do twist anytning to suit their agenda.

This. Precisely this.

Just checked, I also got Alien Isolation for £35 on release. :D

Tesco direct are actually pretty good for prices. TheGameCollection haven't let me down either.

And you can get this cheaper. I said RRP. Even Nintendo are offering the digital version for £31. Not really fair to compare sale/bargain prices against RRP of something else....

People really do twist anytning to suit their agenda.

These aren't really sales or bargain prices are they? They're big games on release. You'd have to be an absolute fool to buy a new game for more than £45...it just doesn't need to be done.

I don't care about the price of Splatoon as I'm not interested in it whatsoever, but gaming in general is quite fair with regards to pricing and it's got better thanks to the rise of online shopping. If you go into game on release and pay something like £49.99 for a new game on release, then you're going about it the wrong way.

I've not bought much stuff in sales and the most I paid for a game as of late was £40. It's not twisting things to suit agendas, it's simply what value we perceive games to be. Splatoon in my mind shouldn't cost more than £20 for it's content.

Oh my god... I'm arguing with some ukip nutters on facebook and you two on here and I don't know what's more annoying :)

I don't care what you buy games at, that is not at all what this is about. You said it is a full price game, I'm saying it isn't, the RRP is way below the RRP of all other home console games. This shows it isn't a full price game. The fact you can get other games way below their RRP does not change the fact that THIS IS NOT A FULL PRICE GAME! The RRP for mariokart was not 34.99 at launch, neither was Hyrule,or smash, xenobladew won't be. 49.99. Full price. FULL PRICE! 34.99 not full price.

The price you paid for alien or destiny is not a factor in this...

Ps I've let my ukip vent out with this too...

I've not bought much stuff in sales and the most I paid for a game as of late was £40. It's not twisting things to suit agendas, it's simply what value we perceive games to be. Splatoon in my mind shouldn't cost more than £20 for it's content.

£20 isn't really the right price for this sort of game. It's a Nintendo exclusive, so that automatically means that the diehards will regard it higher than a third party game. £30-35 on release is probably about right. There's no way Nintendo would go for a price point like that on release, they just wouldn't.

Edit: Oh, @dazzybee. :) I think we'll just sidestep this one, haha.

If you want to get particular @dazzybee I could say RRP is simply RRP, it's not "full price". Full price is what you pay for a game that isn't second-hand and what you buy it for when it's not in any sales etc.

@Fierce_LiNk I know it's not something Nintendo would do, it's just the value I see the game at.

I know I am new here, but if the prices on eshop are RRP, than @dazzybee is right, the prices listed there are much higher. Only Captain Toad is 39,99 euros, Rayman 29,99 and some few other games, but the "top" games are 49,99, or 59,99 euros. I know you are talking sterling, but when I have followed earlier the prices (before I've got the Wii U) I didn't see that they would correct them according to currency rates.

Splatoon on amazon is 39,99 euros, I am not sure about the eshop price as it is no listed and I know there are much lower prices in some shops.

It's a bit sad how we expect games these days to cost £35 at most, which is the lowest they've been for generations, even though the amount of work and effort that goes into today's modern HD games is far greater than it's ever been. Everything else suffers from inflation, except games it seems.

It's a bit sad how we expect games these days to cost £35 at most, which is the lowest they've been for generations, even though the amount of work and effort that goes into today's modern HD games is far greater than it's ever been. Everything else suffers from inflation, except games it seems.

Are you sure it isn't related to reducing cost of media over time?

How much were VHS movies back in the 90s? DVDs when they first came out? Blu-rays? How much media content can you get these days for the same price? Why the move to disc-based media and away from cartridges?

Cartridges were a major price factor with the N64 whereas the PS1 could produce CD's for pennies instead of pounds.

Yeah. Correct me if I'm wrong but they used flash memory too? That's another thing that's reduced over time - storage and memory. I think it's essentially just reduction of overheads due to evolution of technology. A reason why I feel Steam and digital distribution can do so well - because the end overheads are reduced you can sell at a lower price for similar profit(and possibly even more via units shifted).

Of course, coming back into the thread's topic - it's important to have a good and decent online infrastructure and distribution model to make this approach work. High digital prices put some people off(especially when hard copies can be obtained at similar or lower prices) and the online approach imo is more than just 'online gaming' - it's that whole digital network and product.

Bluray may be cheaper than cartridges but the amount of work that goes into a game is increased ten fold between N64 and Wii U. I just think we have it very lucky with the price of games. Unless you're a tight arse obviously who watches his pennies I think it's a shame that the RRP seems to be getting lower.

What thread is this? :D

I quite enjoy Nintendo's pricing structure. Games like Splatoon, Kirby and Captain Toad are releasing at £30 or below. The same goes for their 3DS strategy, with the likes of Mario Golf and Puzzle and Dragons being £24.99 or below. Sure, their big hitters are still around £35-40 but they realise that some of their more niche titles would do better at a lower price point.

EDIT: Whoops I put higher instead of lower. :blush:

Edited by Hero-of-Time

What thread is this? :D

I quite enjoy Nintendo's pricing structure. Games like Splatoon, Kirby and Captain Toad are releasing at £30 or below. The same goes for their 3DS strategy, with the likes of Mario Golf and Puzzle and Dragons being £24.99 or below. Sure, their big hitters are still around £35-40 but they realise that some of their more niche titles would do better at a higher price point.

I think the pricing structure is also to do with the amount of content some of the games like Captain Toad and Kirby provide. They're both relatively short games. Now I see why Splatoon was so cheap to buy, half of its content is coming months later in the form of DLC. I don't want to think about that or people won't like what I have to say. I'll see how this demo goes on Saturday.

I think the pricing structure is also to do with the amount of content some of the games like Captain Toad and Kirby provide. They're both relatively short games. Now I see why Splatoon was so cheap to buy, half of its content is coming months later in the form of DLC. I don't want to think about that or people won't like what I have to say. I'll see how this demo goes on Saturday.

Thing is, Captain Toad wasn't a short game ( 10-14 hours ) and from what i've played, Kirby isn't either. Sure, if you just run through the game from beginning to end they will be short but the same can be said about any game.

Are you sure it isn't related to reducing cost of media over time?

How much were VHS movies back in the 90s? DVDs when they first came out? Blu-rays? How much media content can you get these days for the same price? Why the move to disc-based media and away from cartridges?

The cost of cartridges was much higher, something like £5 for the whole package as compared to about 50p for the disc and packaging.

However, game development costs are far higher today. The teams needed to make an N64 blockbuster like Goldeneye were tiny. Today you can have over 200 people involved in a game like Assassins Creed or Resident Evil.

The cost of the media itself has only really fallen when the move from cartridges to CDs happened. The cost of development however is sky rocketing.

The cost of the media itself has only really fallen when the move from cartridges to CDs happened. The cost of development however is sky rocketing.

Indeed.

It's why we've seen so many developers fold of the past couple of generations. Budgets have become stupidly large and instead of focusing on tight gameplay elements, the chase for things being on a grander scale killed off many developers.

It's also why we've seen a surge in the indie development scene. A lot of developers are feeling shackled by the AAA model and can't express what they want to make, so they set up shop elsewhere.

There's plenty of content in Captain Toad, you refuse to play it so are in no position to judge. Splatoon is getting "half its content" for free, so your argument about its relatively low price makes no sense. So gracious of you to give the demo a chance though.

Great article over at IGN about the lack of voice chat in Splatoon and Nintendo games in general.

HERE

It seems Fran is at breaking point with these decisions and I find it interesting that these types of decisions are pushing him away from Nintendo, not unlike a lot of our members on here.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!