N-Europe

A Nintendo official talks about the power of rev

dabookerman

hes my best friends dog

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=revolution&message.id=745578&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

5. Can you convince gamers that power doesn’t matter?

No. And, we're not really trying to. Unless we start to try, then, nevermind... =P

Even the folks who are number-junkies will see a Revolution demo in a store in the future, and get a chance to form an opinion based on the Whoa! This is a cool control and fun game!-factor.

If someone is picking their system based on raw power numbers, they won't pick our system. If someone's getting a game system based on pure raw numbers, they should go out and get one of the high-end PC gaming machines, with the latest chipsets, dual-graphics cards, etc. (Currently going for about $3500, less for systems that aren't using the latest stuff, double that if you're using bleeding-edge, overclocked, liquid-cooled systems.)

When talking power in the XBox 360/PS3/Revolution generation, you gotta mention HD. The other guys have it, we won't. Why not? Well, I could tell you that the saturation rate for people with HDTV hasn't even hit 20% yet...but I haven't looked up the actual numbers for a few months. I will tell you that HD is the reason you need all that power. If you double the resolution, you need four times the power for the same performance. Revolution will do 480p, and it's games will look great. If we went with HD, our system would have to be more powerful to push all those pixels.

so for you one sided reading people, who still dont know whats over the bottom, the rev wil be less powerful, simply because it doesnt have HD, but it will still be able to produce great graphics

now please for the remainder of the next few weeks or months, stfu about the power and its hd capabilities, and please for the love of jehovah no more petitions

So this makes it easy for developers to port to the Revo. Basically, it saves space and money (for the console, and the electricity) for 80+% of people.

Graphics wise - Yes. But then you have developers that might not want to port over a game because they would have to re-map the button layout to Revo's new controller. Its intimidating, and sure developers want to make something for the Revo, but they want to make something new, exclusive.

So Easy and saves Money in graphics - Yes :laughing:

Easy and saves Money in Button Mapping - No :nono:

In the end it would probably cost about the same to make a game for all 3 systems.

Graphics wise - Yes. But then you have developers that might not want to port over a game because they would have to re-map the button layout to Revo's new controller. Its intimidating, and sure developers want to make something for the Revo, but they want to make something new, exclusive.

In the end it would probably cost about the same to make a game for all 3 systems.

They don't HAVE TO map out a new button layout... controller shell anyone?!

Guest Stefkov

yeah they coudl just add in some features of the controller when using the shell,maybe use the pointer funtion for aiming in a FPS but using the shell for everything else.

Last week I played tge XB360 in a gamestore...

The game was PGR3, and the store only had a regular TV to play it on.

The 360 is INCOMPETENT when it comes to converting resolutions, cuz the rez was lower than on my GC!

And, like five metres ahead of the car, the textures were low-res and blurry, kind of like on N64-racers like RR64...

So I think that rev'll have better graphs on regular TV's...

Last week I played tge XB360 in a gamestore...

The game was PGR3, and the store only had a regular TV to play it on.

The 360 is INCOMPETENT when it comes to converting resolutions, cuz the rez was lower than on my GC!

And, like five metres ahead of the car, the textures were low-res and blurry, kind of like on N64-racers like RR64...

So I think that rev'll have better graphs on regular TV's...

I must admit I played Call of Duty on the 360 on a standard TV and was wondering what all the fuss was about. It just looked like standard graphics. That was before I realised you needed HDTV to see the full effect. I can't see HD taking off this generation anyway and i'm not going to be forced into it buying a special TV, mainly because I can't afford it so Revolution ftw in my case.

Ever heard of the "classic" attachment, that makes the revo controller look, feel and function like a regular controller?

Ever heard of the "classic" attachment, that makes the revo controller look, feel and function like a regular controller?
Nintendo is not dumb, they had the best development packs this generation, and will have them next gen....

About the control scheme I'm sure they'll keep "generic templates" for the control scheme, already fine tuned for it, for example for FPS's and Platform Games that should play always the same way.

besides is remapping a controller that hard to do? isn't it just a case of changing the nput command for each action in the game from say "X" to.. "forward jabbing motion of the FHC".. it's probably much harder than i'm making out but really i bet there's harder things when it comes to porting a game than simply changing what user input command does what..