Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Wut?

Who the fuck is talking about realism?

Let's take it back a few steps.

I said:

(note my usage of more appealing - Would a console look more appealing to a gamer with Metroid or without it?)

You said: (not sure why you start talking about realism)

I said: (me summarising that the WiiU needs variation)

Also, you said yes to my question at the end, which fits in with what I'm saying all along. To a gamer, (a seasoned gamer - a gamer who has a lot of experience with the medium, spending season after season gaming) a console line-up looks better with Metroid than it does without.

So, not sure what you're getting at really with the whole realism thing. You must view things in binary if you consider F Zero and Metroid "realism", which is...I don't even-

I apologise. I misconstrued the use of the term serious to mean realistic.

Exactly :p

Of course, I'm hyperbolising, but seriously Metroid is not a game series that sells well, and people forget that. It'd be high budget and low results.

i think that's Nintendo's problem not ours. When you buy a Nintendo console you do so in the expectation that you will get Mario, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin, you would hope to get 1080, Wave Race, F-Zero and you would assume 3rd parties would deliver sports, fps etc.

When Nintendo sell a console with this expectation they can't then just chuck out a load of family games and fall out with the 3rd parties, otherwise next gen they are going to sell even less consoles.

It's exactly what you bloody said! Don't be so rude, telling me to learn English, when you can't remember what you just said!

'Being seen playing kiddy games'

You're saying insecure people wouldn't want to be seen playing the games by others!

Shit man, I'm not buying that Wii U, because I'm so insecure that someone might look through the window and see me playing it. I'd totally lose my street cred!

Says the guy who actually asked if there was a way to hide the main banner on the site so his work colleagues wouldn't laugh at him for reading a Nintendo site:

This is a small query - would it be possible to have a checkbox in your settings to allow you to hide the banner? When at work it's generally quite easy to browse the grey forum style, but I always feel the banner seems quite standout and, well, a little babyish. Not that everything Nintendo is, but the cartoony style can come across that way to people around you.

Rather than a massive debate about this seemingly superficial request, would it be possible to implement?

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1589872&postcount=2281

So yeah, you should maybe remember what you have said, and as you're clearly insecure enough to worry about hiding the banner of this site because, to quote you - Nintendo characters are 'babyish', it is in the realm of reality to suggest that people might be embarrassed to play the games or admit to doing so.

Says the guy who actually asked if there was a way to hide the main banner on the site so his work colleagues wouldn't laugh at him for reading a Nintendo site:

Are you being fucking serious?

Of course I'd want to hide the banner at work! The clue is in the name - I'm supposed to be working. And yeah, it being Nintendo with standout, sometimes babyish characters on it (can't remember what was on the banner at the time), it doesn't help with your professional image. Completely different argument to what Serebii is saying (note how he didn't reply, either, after I pretty much point pointed out how his words were in no way being twisted. This is pretty much what he always does when he's proven wrong).

What Serebii said, though:

Seasoned gamer? I'm a seasoned gamer and the Wii U is very appealing. You mean more appealing to the "average" gamer who prefer realism over other styles because they're insecure with being seen playing "kiddy" games.

^ He is saying that people are too insecure to play or buy the 'kiddy' games because of how they'll look playing them in front of others.

Tell me, in what way is not wanting to be seen at work browsing Nintendo forums the same as not buying or playing Nintendo games since I fear I'll be 'seen' (lol wut? through the window) playing them? How does the post you quoted confirm or strengthen Serebii's point, or somehow dispute mine? It clearly doesn't.

And we know that the link you're trying to make is a slice of bollocks, because as everyone knows I've had every Nintendo console since the N64, including the Wii U, and I've got most hit Nintendo titles since.

Edited by Sheikah

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1589872&postcount=2281

So yeah, you should maybe remember what you have said, and as you're clearly insecure enough to worry about hiding the banner of this site because, to quote you - Nintendo characters are 'babyish', it is in the realm of reality to suggest that people might be embarrassed to play the games or admit to doing so.

You do realise why it's called 'work' right?

Edit. God damn. I love how you went on a rant at Sheikah for no apparent reason and it got thanks from two people. My sides.

Edit. God damn. I love how you went on a rant at Sheikah for no apparent reason and it got thanks from two people. My sides.

Yes, but

Not that everything Nintendo is, but the cartoony style can come across that way to people around you.

Beautiful :p

The thing is, browsing the internet at work is unprofessional as it is, with babyish characters or not. That he's pointing out it being babyish specifically is what makes me laugh after his comments to Serebii.

That's their problem, not his. It's same at any professional organisation when you're working with, you know, actual people.

I like how this has to be explained to him. :p

The thing is, browsing the internet at work is unprofessional as it is, with babyish characters or not. That he's pointing out it being babyish specifically is what makes me laugh after his comments to Serebii.

Why is it funny? Some of the characters do look pretty babyish, and having them on the banner isn't exactly the right image for work. I really don't get the comparison here at all.

It doesn't mean that Serebii is right in saying people are worried about being 'seen' playing the games. Case in point, I hid the banner but play the games.

Edited by Sheikah

Are you being fucking serious?

Of course I'd want to hide the banner at work! The clue is in the name - I'm supposed to be working. And yeah, it being Nintendo with standout, sometimes babyish characters on it (can't remember what was on the banner at the time), it doesn't help with your professional image. Completely different argument to what Serebii is saying (note how he didn't reply, either, after I pretty much point pointed out how his words were in no way being twisted. This is pretty much what he always does when he's proven wrong).

What Serebii said, though:

^ He is saying that people are too insecure to play or buy the 'kiddy' games because of how they'll look playing them in front of others.

Tell me, in what way is not wanting to be seen at work browsing Nintendo forums the same as not buying or playing Nintendo games since I fear I'll be 'seen' (lol wut? through the window) playing them? How does the post you quoted confirm or strengthen Serebii's point, or somehow dispute mine? It clearly doesn't.

And we know that the link you're trying to make is a slice of bollocks, because as everyone knows I've had every Nintendo console since the N64, including the Wii U, and I've got most hit Nintendo titles since.

You clearly posted:

When at work it's generally quite easy to browse the grey forum style, but I always feel the banner seems quite standout and, well, a little babyish. Not that everything Nintendo is, but the cartoony style can come across that way to people around you.

You clearly stated that you were worried that the banners came over as babyish and might come across as such to those around you. Your primary concern wasn't that people would know you weren't working, but might think less of you because you were looking at something that was, to quote you, 'babyish'.

The point is clear - that if you are concerned that people might laugh at you at work because of 'babyish' banners on a Nintendo site (as clearly evidenced from something you wrote) then it is not a massive jump to what @Serebii said.

It is clearly not inconceivable that due to the 'babyish' stigma that exists, some might be put off from admitting to purchasing or playing Nintendo games.

...Why is it funny? Some of the characters do look pretty babyish, and having them on the banner isn't exactly the right image for work. I really don't get the comparison here at all.

It doesn't mean that Serebii is right in saying people are worried about being 'seen' playing the games. Case in point, I hid the banner but play the games.

I'm not saying Serebii is right, I'm saying it's funny that you specifically pick out that it's babyish and that's not the right image for work when it's also not the right image if you had a hulking space marine like a Gears of War character or a Master Chief or something... that's not the right image too, hell, there's no right image because you're in work and shouldn't be on the internet!

So I found it funny because as opposed to just saying how it's unprofessional you picked out how it's babyish... probably because of embarrassment, not actually out of being worried over looking simply unprofessional, "I don't want to look kiddy too" screamed out in my mind and it made me chuckle.

Depends where you work really and it's very situational. Not a convo for this thread though.

agJIP.gif

I love this thread. It allows me to use this gif oooover and oooover.

Oh it's just so good. Almost as good as...

Lol, news. :p

Blackkid_zpsbbe33e06.gif

You clearly posted:

You clearly stated that you were worried that the banners came over as babyish and might come across as such to those around you. Your primary concern wasn't that people would know you weren't working, but might think less of you because you were looking at something that was, to quote you, 'babyish'.

Yes, and? Many of the characters are cartoony, and do not fit well in a professional environment. Without the banner the website looks almost like a grey excel spreadsheet.

The point is clear - that if you are concerned that people might laugh at you at work because of 'babyish' banners on a Nintendo site (as clearly evidenced from something you wrote) then it is not a massive jump to what @Serebii said.

Absolute, complete bollocks.

As proven by the fact that I hid the banner in a professional environment, while buying and playing the games and having no qualms doing so.

What Serebii said is absolute nonsense, and in making posts like these you do nothing but encourage him. I suggest you read it again - he is claiming people are so insecure about being seen playing them. Tell me a scenario in which most people will pass up playing the games they want because they, somehow, worry they will be seen playing them!

It is clearly not inconceivable that due to the 'babyish' stigma that exists, some might be put off from admitting to purchasing or playing Nintendo games.

Ha! Now you've completely changed Serebii's point into something semi-believable, rather than what it was. That sums up your level of confidence regarding what he originally said!

Edited by Sheikah

Yes, and? Many of the characters are cartoony, and do not fit well in a professional environment. Without the banner the website looks like. Grey excel spreadsheet.

As proven by the fact that I hid the banner in a professional environment, while buying and playing the games and having no qualms doing so.

What Serebii said is absolute nonsense, and in making posts like these you do nothing but encourage him. I suggest you read it again - he is claiming people are so insecure about being seen playing them. Tell me a scenario in which most people will pass up playing the games they want because they, somehow, worry they will be seen playing them!

Ha! Now you've completely changed Serebii's point into something semi-believable, rather than what it was. That sums up your level of confidence regarding what he originally said!

comic146.png

Depends where you work really and it's very situational. Not a convo for this thread though.

Oh it's just so good. Almost as good as...

Blackkid_zpsbbe33e06.gif

Exactly. @kav82 in our workplace we are not hamsters running in wheels and can browse forums or websites if we want. That said, there's no denying that people don't want to be seen as not working, so if you can hide a banner that blatantly displays you're not working then why the hell not? And yeah, a lot of Nintendo characters do look fucking babyish and in some professional environments it doesn't look good. Big deal? I still play my Nintendo games, so it's not like what Serebii is saying is even remotely true.

comic146.png

Now let someone fill in the rest of the cartoon for the later years. ;)

Edited by Sheikah

Yes, and? Many of the characters are cartoony, and do not fit well in a professional environment. Without the banner the website looks like. Grey excel spreadsheet.

You were clearly insecure about being seen in a 'professional' environment reading about Nintendo, so it is clearly not inconceivable that some people would be embarrassed or insecure about being seen playing on a 3DS or playing a game that may be perceived as 'babyish'.

And I am happy to encourage @Serebii. Whereas he comes here to talk about something he clearly loves and enjoys, you come here to bitch about a company you no longer like.

Also, @Kav nailed it. You weren't bothered about Space Marines or grunts in armour - you were bothered about 'babyish' characters. You proved Serebii's point, so maybe you should stop encouraging him?

The more you go on the more it makes me laugh @Sheikah, yes, just because of the images being babyish and yes, simply because it keeps popping into my head that if someone asked what you were looking at or where the picture was from you'd be too embarrassed to say "from a Nintendo computer game". As opposed to it being, let's say, fantasy football... yes, because what simply runs through my mind is you being like "I'm a man, I like football. Thats ok."

It just makes me chuckle. If you re-read my posts I just say I find it funny and say why after you asked. I'm not saying Serebii is right that people are embarrassed to buy and play the games.