NEurope
Rummy

Lock down your wallets...the Steam sale has arrived!

So once again, the summer sale is upon us.

Now that we've got a general discussion board I thought it could be a good place for the general light-hearted Steam Sale chitchat, memes and personal wallet-destroying tales that comes with it.

I have no memes to hand, but less than 24 hours in and I've already been sucked in!

I'm stupidly well not in a position to spend much after a few heavy months, but...I just can't bluddy help myself! So far decided to get GTA III,ViceCity and SanAndreas(as I've never actually played them), Scribblenauts Unlimited(as it's a bargain £4!), Cthulu Saves the World(67p) and Civilisation III(never played either).

All for 'just' £15. As I said to @Twozzok, 'under £4' is a dangerous button to have anywhere!

So what about yourselves? Planning to pick anything up? Recent releases, old classics, general bargains?

Or will you manage to resist the temptation, and just say no(lol)?

url-31.jpeg

*Stole from @Happenstance on fb

Everyone needs to remember the Steam sale rules as well!

Never buy anything unless it is in a daily, flash or community sale until the very last day when you are sure that it will not get discounted further.

Also it can be a good idea to put some money into your steam wallet instead of just ordering directly with your cards. Banks have been known to think that all these little payments happening in quick succession are fraud and block your cards.

Buy the Ys games, they are on sale. Do you no less.

If you want one get Ys: The Oath in Felghana first. I think Origins has a demo but that game is slightly different to the rest but should give you a good idea.

I got Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Also, if you want to see as many sales as possible:

Dailies change at 6PM (UK time)

Flash and Community sales change at 2AM, 10AM and 6PM.

Civ V Gold is on flash sale right now, 9,99€ and 7 hours left. Great historical strat game that let's you tinker with a ton of stuff yet also at your own pace. Definitely worth buying if you like strategy / civ building games.

Everyone needs to remember the Steam sale rules as well!

Never buy anything unless it is in a daily, flash or community sale until the very last day when you are sure that it will not get discounted further.

Also it can be a good idea to put some money into your steam wallet instead of just ordering directly with your cards. Banks have been known to think that all these little payments happening in quick succession are fraud and block your cards.

I got Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Also, if you want to see as many sales as possible:

Dailies change at 6PM (UK time)

Flash and Community sales change at 2AM, 10AM and 6PM.

This is good advice! I bought Civ III for £1.50...now it's 74p! I wasn't sure whether to get the newer ones given I've never played any of them. Also my credit card WOULDN'T go through last night, but I think that wasn't cos of the purchases(first purchase and was bulk). Just used PayPal instead.

It seems all the Civ stuff is on flash right now, even the the newest expansion that was released TODAY. Crazy stuff.

@Rummy And yes, go for the new ones. They look and play better, as some of the more annoying shit has been streamlined away. V > III.

I need to try and get back into Civ V. It was my first Civ game when I got it and I was enjoying it but it just seemed to drop away. Went back to it the other week and had completely forgotten how to play.

It seems all the Civ stuff is on flash right now, even the the newest expansion that was released TODAY. Crazy stuff.

@Rummy And yes, go for the new ones. They look and play better, as some of the more annoying shit has been streamlined away. V > III.

It's too late now! I already spent my money! And 75p too much of it! I'll consider them in next year's maybe, depending how I find III.

Okay, so I bought Civ V Gold to play properly once I get back to Portugal (I have a download limit right now)

Now, there's also a Brave New World demo, which I'd like to try, but I don't know how Steam demos work. Can I download it to play whenever I want, or does it have to be the moment I download it?

Or am I being paranoid and the demo will be there for a long, long time anyway?

@Rummy Yeah I get that, you spending your live-savings on that and all.

@Jonnas I don't think the demos go anywhere, so no panic. I mean they still have some ancient Civ IV demo up there as well, so I can't really think why the newer one wouldn't stay there.

Haven't bought anything yet, but I will keep watching.

It's times like this I wish I could see the prices in local currency, and not having to calculate from euros in my head. Anyone happen to know if it's possible to change the currency shown?

I'm looking out for Farcry 3 and Tomb raider. I Picked up Hotline Miami yesterday, its awesome.

This is very good advice.

I'm looking out for Farcry 3 and Tomb raider.

Far Cry 3 is in a flash sale. £11.99 for FC3 and Blood Dragon is £5.39.

Haven't bought anything yet, but I will keep watching.

It's times like this I wish I could see the prices in local currency, and not having to calculate from euros in my head. Anyone happen to know if it's possible to change the currency shown?

Do you use the client or the site? Not that I'll know either way, just thinking cos Ville quoted in €s earlier for Civ but I always used to find the site quoted me in $ rather than the £ the client did for me.

By client, you mean the menu that appears by clicking the desktop item? Because that one is euro. Besides, I think Finland uses euro as its currency anyway.

Oh, and another thing: those cards you randomly get. If you're not interested in them you can sell them on the marketplace. I've sold three so far and have £1 in Steam funds.

By client, you mean the menu that appears by clicking the desktop item? Because that one is euro. Besides, I think Finland uses euro as its currency anyway.

Uhh..yeah, sounds like it. Are you visiting the steam site in your browser? If that's the case possibly try logging in there, iirc it knew where I was/what my currency was when I was at work once and displayed stuff in £(though I just wanted to buy one thing, so didn't look around too much).

I use the client and yes, Finland is a €uro country. Anyway:

What currencies does the Steam store support?

The Steam store offers pricing in United States Dollars (USD), British Pounds (GBP), Russian Rubles (RUB), Brazilian Reais (BRL) or Euros (EUR) depending upon your location. Exchange rate and certain fees may be charged by your credit card company or bank.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8360-WEJC-2625#currencytype

So it is euroes for me. Multiplying by eight is annoying.

So it is euroes for me. Multiplying by eight is annoying.

My apologies, I totally missed out the 'from' in your earlier post and read that you were calculating Euros in your head - totally forgot you're not in a € currency, and thought you were doing euros from dollars or something.

Bought myself a copy of Sleeping Dogs. I already played and completed it on the PS3 but I know that the PC version looks a lot better and considering how much I enjoyed that game the first time around I'd quite like to play it again. Plus with my PS3 out of commission for now I cant just go and play my original copy.

Aww, was it a fiver in a flash sale? Missed out despite voting for it yesterday, damn! Maybe my PC woulda sucked too much for it anyway(struggled a lot with SR3).

Gotta say, I'm tempted by FEZ...heard good things about it. Anyone got/recommend?

Aww, was it a fiver in a flash sale? Missed out despite voting for it yesterday, damn! Maybe my PC woulda sucked too much for it anyway(struggled a lot with SR3).

Gotta say, I'm tempted by FEZ...heard good things about it. Anyone got/recommend?

Yeah Fez is good. Its also one of those games that really opens up on the new game plus playthrough once you have started figuring out stuff that initially looked random in the world. I still regret not having been able to play it when it first came out on 360, it sounded pretty cool the way the community banded together to figure out all the secrets.

I expect Sleeping Dogs will come up again by the end. Games in the community votes usually appear multiple times.