NEurope
Grazza

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Wow. What a night, what a surprise? Cranky Kong. OMG WOW I can't believe it. Best surprise ever! How did they calm the crowd? They must be still buzzing?

There was no crowd :p

OMG LOOOOL @ Cranky Kong! He looks hilariously boss! (And very reminiscent of Scrooge McDuck from the Ducktales games)

Tier 1 Kong for sure! He is gonna sooo one-life-in-less-than-an-hour this mother! : peace:

BTW, anyone who was honestly expecting them to show anything other than new DKCTF footage is about as smart as a monkey themselves :p

Game Infomer had a bunch of details in their latest issue.

Snowmads are made up of penguins, owls, rabbits, sea lions, and walruses

- Diddy Kong’s cartwheel attack useful for close attacks

- Use Kong Pow with Diddy to turn all enemies on the screen into extra balloons

- As previously mentioned, Dixie’s Kong Pow turns onscreen enemies into gold hearts

- Dixie’s ponytail is like a propeller underwater for extra speed

- Enemies will get tougher as you progress

- Tucks (penguin-like enemies) start out with Donkey Kong being able to take them out by jumping on their heads or rolling into them

- Later, they’ll have spears and helmets at their disposal, so you can only attack them from behind

- Tucks will then come with double-sided spears and spiked helmets, so they must be stunned first before you can attack

- 6 islands

- 6-7 levels per island

- Boss stage and a bonus level as well

- Bonus level unlocks after collecting all KONG letters in each level

- World 1: Lost Mangroves (rainforest, vine grabbing, zip-lining)

- World 2: Autumn Heights (Bavarian-like mountain, mine carts, hot-air balloons, giant owls, jagged cliff faces)

- World 3: Bright Savannah (tall grass, orange/brown colors, like an African safari, dodge brush fire and penguins with spears)

- World 4: Sea Breeze Cove (blue harbors, sandy inlets, lots of swimming, dodge electric seaweed and manage air supply)

- World 5: Juicy Jungle (tropical forest that produces a rare fruit, home to an elaborate processing plant, jump off jellies to reach new heights)

- World 6: DK Island (Donkey Kong’s tree house has been frosted over, has homages to levels from Donkey Kong Country Returns)

- Will always control Donkey Kong in single-player

- Side characters add to Donkey Kong’s abilities

- Subtle differences between the side characters

- Can switch between side characters by breaking barrels in the levels

- Icons on the barrels rotate slowly so that you can pick your partner

- Offers challenging gameplay

^ All the above information sounds pretty good, the only thing I'm unsure of is the 'managing air supply' while underwater... I'm sure this was not an issue in the original DKC trilogy plus DCKR didn't have any underwater levels so it seems to me that Retro have taken it upon themselves to alter quite a significant part of the 'series' I know that technically they are separate series but I like to think that they carry on in one big line. :heh:

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I hope having to worry about air while underwater doesn't ruin how the game plays somehow.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I hope having to worry about air while underwater doesn't ruin how the game plays somehow.

No stress as long as it has the musics...

Edited by tapedeck

That guy is sooooo good.

And so is this guy, of course:

307782.jpg

Still probably the best thing about this game.

Pleased to hear this is confirmed 1080p native and David Wise has written the entire soundtrack.

Andre reckons this game is a 'tour de force' on a technical/visual level (and he thought 3D World was decent but nothing amazing).

Edited by Lens of Truth

So glad this is coming out the same day here as America.

The latest trailer makes it look great

I have to say the latest trailer that was shown in the direct has made me hyped for this game whereas before I felt a bit meh about it.

Im playing the first game on the 3DS at the moment so will be looking forward to playing this.

I always knew it old be amazing, and although I'm still disppointed this is retros game for wiiu, it looks incredible and I'll undoubtedly love it. But let's hope they ARE a two game studio now :)

Is it fair to say that this will have Stamps in it? I hope so, as I loved collecting them in SM3DW. I'm also hoping that they become a permanent thing with Nintendo games.

Is it fair to say that this will have Stamps in it? I hope so, as I loved collecting them in SM3DW. I'm also hoping that they become a permanent thing with Nintendo games.

Hope so. Though I hope they allow you to scale them. It's ridiculous that some of the 3D World ones won't actually fit on the Miiverse message

Yeah not scaling them it flipping them and such is just such a weird omission. Why do Nintendo come up with such amazing ideas all the time but with inept implementation?

How are you taking advantage of the Wii U’s hardware? Are you doing anything special with the touchscreen?

Kensuke Tanabe: Because we want everyone to enjoy not only gameplay, but also to focus on the on-screen visuals, we decided not to implement GamePad features which would require the player to often switch between the two screens. We have added off-TV play so that players can play the game with the GamePad only if they want, so that they can enjoy the game anytime even when the TV cannot be used.

That sux but not a surprise. Its just a repeated message we hear all the time.

This would have been a great snowy/wintery Christmas game. Probably would have had a cheat to add Christmas stuff/music like DKC3.

How are you taking advantage of the Wii U’s hardware? Are you doing anything special with the touchscreen?

Kensuke Tanabe: Because we want everyone to enjoy not only gameplay, but also to focus on the on-screen visuals, we decided not to implement GamePad features which would require the player to often switch between the two screens. We have added off-TV play so that players can play the game with the GamePad only if they want, so that they can enjoy the game anytime even when the TV cannot be used.

That sux but not a surprise. Its just a repeated message we hear all the time.

That GamePad really is proving uttetly pointless. At expensive mistake; I'd have taken either a cheaper console or power boost over it.

That GamePad really is proving uttetly pointless. At expensive mistake; I'd have taken either a cheaper console or power boost over it.

Are Zombi u and Nintendoland not worth it :) It is weird how Nintendo have abandoned it. I think they're making steps to release a game padless version, the only thing that makes sense.

Personally I love it, I love it's uses. I love off TV play. However it is bizarre how nintendo have abandoned it completely.

As for Donkey Kong. Really can't wait for it; looks stunning. Though is it weird I'm more pleased it's finished so Retro can continue on their other title... Saying that, wouldn't surprise me if Donkey Kong is one of my favourite titles of 2014!!!

Are Zombi u and Nintendoland not worth it :) It is weird how Nintendo have abandoned it. I think they're making steps to release a game padless version, the only thing that makes sense.

I agree. Was playing ACIV and SM3DW with the Pro Controller thinking the GPad is a nice extra (and I do like it), but it's not a necessity. SMW3D shows a huge reversal of the GPad integration. Only the Captain Toad (and a couple of touch/blowy levels really require it. Just seemed...strange.

Get the price down to £150 with a Wii remote or Pro Controller and the 'core' audience will probably get a WiiU as a second console - like they did last gen. There is just enough difference already. Add an alternative Nintendo. :blush:

Been playing DKCR on the 3DS (enjoying it more actually...less brutal!) and wasn't a huge fan of the re-do due to DKC1-3 being my fav. games on the SNES. This is shaping up to be great but having played Rayman and Mario bros.U, I'm having a 2D burnout. Also, SMW3D ticks the 2.5/3D box.

Edited by tapedeck

Exctly @tapedeck that's the thing. This game will be amazing no doubt. But it's the last thing we want, and the Wii U needs. Bizarre decision by Nintendo!!