NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

How is it a chore? I honestly don't understand this complaint.

Well let's just say the three times I was able to join my friends, we were all promptly disconnected. @Guy can attest to this.

So not only that, compared to the other systems I'm used to where me and my friends can straight up join up together before entering any game with extreme ease and efficiency, this does indeed feel like a chore.

Combine this with the mountain of communication errors I got last night and it's very clear that this system is sub par. Any connection issues on my end have pushed me back to the main menu screen, anything server side pushes me back to the online menu.

So let's just play a game of empathy here. Now, it's clear that you're not getting these issues as much as most people or you're deliberately downplaying things, but would you not think from my experience thus far (which would seem to be the average experience) sounds like a chore to deal with?

(I honestly don't understand the rage going on with Mushrooms, it's making me think that you guys aren't using them properly. I've overtaken about 5 dudes online from cutting corners with that. It's knowing when to use them and when to save them.)

After fuck knows how many Mario Karts, I certainly know how to use mushrooms properly, thank you very much! The problem is that the boosts they provide have been severely gimped (look back to the MK Wii video I posted), while offensive items if anything have got more powerful due to the reduced protection you now have with 1 item/coins. If you get sent to like 10th at the beginning when playing with people as good as you due to a clusterfuck, the items don't really help you out too much.

Mushrooms seem to work pretty well in my experience.

Edit: Posted the wrong video. Don't think my friend uploaded the right one.

Edited by Serebii

Mushrooms seem to work pretty well in my experience.

Edit: Posted the wrong video. Don't think my friend uploaded the right one.

But nowhere near the level at which they performed in MK Wii. That is the issue.

But nowhere near the level at which they performed in MK Wii. That is the issue.

Because this is a different game.

Because this is a different game.

Good. Now we're getting somewhere, my confused friend.

Now, taking everything that has been said on the matter thus far, are you able to correctly understand the problem many people are reporting, or do you still need more clarification?

Well let's just say the three times I was able to join my friends, we were all promptly disconnected. @Guy can attest to this.

Yep, completely agree. Had a bunch of lobby disconnects today too. Don't get this on other games, including Mario Kart Wii when it was running.

Game needs a patch, or server needs a slap. Nintendo should make it so anyone who drops out in the selection lobby just picks random and then leaves. Problem solved.

On mushrooms, they sometimes feel useful and other times they don't. Their main purpose in 8 seems to be to enable corner cutting or shortcuts. They aren't particularly effective at straight up speed boosting, but I have seen some people use them effectively for that.

Online is a speed game, that's it. Constantly seeing the same character/kart combos sweep everyone. Rosalina, for example, can go fuck herself.

Edited by Guy

Yes, the problem is that people are whining that Mario Kart 8 isn't Mario Kart Wii.

Yes, the problem is that people are whining that Mario Kart 8 isn't Mario Kart Wii.

Dang. And there I was, thinking you understood the complaint. You didn't have a bleeding clue.

It's not that that people want the game to remain the same as one they knew before, it's that they fundamentally changed something that was needed for balance purposes.

Yep, completely agree. Had a bunch of lobby disconnects today too. Don't get this on other games, including Mario Kart Wii when it was running.

Game needs a patch, or server needs a slap. Nintendo should make it so anyone who drops out in the selection lobby just picks random and then leaves. Problem solved.

On mushrooms, they sometimes feel useful and other times they don't. Their main purpose in 8 seems to be to enable corner cutting or shortcuts. They aren't particularly effective at straight up speed boosting, but I have seen some people use them effectively for that.

Online is a speed game, that's it. Constantly seeing the same character/kart combos sweep everyone. Rosalina, for example, can go fuck herself.

Yup. Just been disconnected twice from lostmarios game.

I'm honestly just sick to death of it now, not just the disconnects, just the game in general. Once I get my gold glider ( which I have no idea where i'm at thanks for the lack of coin counter in this one Nintendo ) I will shelve the game and never look back. Unless the balancing issues get sorted and the servers get fixed I won't even waste my money on any DLC that may show up.

Dang. And there I was, thinking you understood the complaint. You didn't have a bleeding clue.

It's not that that people want the game to remain the same as one they knew before, it's that they fundamentally changed something that was needed for balance purposes.

And it has seemed fine to me. Mushrooms have given me many a victory and recovery, but that could be because I'm using them in a manner that befits this game, as opposed to the manner that befits a different game.

Even using them for shortcuts, you're looking at maybe a 5 second maximum saving and you have to hold onto the mushroom for up to a whole lap to reach the point of greatest usefulness. It's really not much use if you're back in 8th-10.

Mushrooms seem to benefit my opponents more than me. They can boost over a corner but when I try it (over less distance) the power runs out just before the end and I'm on slow grass. Once I had the Golden Mushroom and I move three places. It was pathetic.

As much fun as this game is. There's too much shizzle which is downing it for me. Once I complete 150cc and the League is done I'll probably sell/trade in.

I call bullshit on @Serebii... I simply don't believe what you say, you're telling me you're the only person that doesn't see all this and everything works perfectly for you? Bollocks. I think your head is so far in the sand that you just choose to ignore it all and pretend it all doesn't happen.

Sorry, but I just cannot believe.

I call bullshit on @Serebii... I simply don't believe what you say, you're telling me you're the only person that doesn't see all this and everything works perfectly for you? Bollocks. I think your head is so far in the sand that you just choose to ignore it all and pretend it all doesn't happen.

Choose to believe what you will, but I have had less than a handful of disconnects in many hours of playing online. I have used mushrooms to gain victory.

I do agree that recovery time when hit by items is ridiculous. That has cost me numerous matches.

Your opening line, I very almost said the same thing. I'd be interested to see how often he plays the game and how good he really is seeing as his answer has often been 'you're not using it the right way'.

Anyone else feel this way with the Star item? It seems to be lacking in oomph.

Even using them for shortcuts, you're looking at maybe a 5 second maximum saving and you have to hold onto the mushroom for up to a whole lap to reach the point of greatest usefulness. It's really not much use if you're back in 8th-10.

Fuck me, for once I agree with you. When you're back in 9th or 10th you can't hold onto that solitary mushroom for the short cut that's half the lap away. You need to burn it and hope for a better item.

The Golden Mushroom and the Star are totally useless. I've had a Golden Mushroom and not moved a single place up the pack despite seeing the rest just yards away.

I remember the speed boost you got on Mario Kart Wii, you needed skill to control your vehicle during those maniac Golden Mushroom boosts. Now you might as well not bother.

Anyone else feel this way with the Star item? It seems to be lacking in oomph.

The Star is now utterly useless.

Am I the only one who seems to keep getting really crappy items when far behind? There have been loads of times where I'm like 10-7th and I only get a green shell (what the hell am I supposed to do with that!?).

I don't know if this game just loves screwing me over personally, but I swear that it's more out to get me than most past MK games... :p

As for disconnection issues... I've had a fair few but not really anything out of the ordinary ::shrug: (Considering that it's still near launch and that the game is selling well, it doesn't surprise me that there are a few connection issues now and again). It has been a reletively smooth experience really, with the occasional dropout.

Edited by Dcubed

Am I the only one who seems to keep getting really crappy items when far behind? There have been loads of times where I'm like 10-7th and I only get a green shell (what the hell am I supposed to do with that!?).

I don't know if this game just loves screwing me over personally, but I swear that it's more out to get me than most past MK games... :p

I actually got coins while in 5th place today. I had to laugh. There's no escaping dem coins! :D

That is part of a long list of problems. I've been in 11th before and got a single banana! The whole item balance is totally screwed. From items not working to bizarre occurrences, it just kills a lot of the game for me.

I think with a couple of patches, it could be a great game. If the items worked like they did in Mario Kart Wii it would be a lot better.

TBH I like the item balance in this game really. There's a stronger focus on the pure racing aspect than the luck of the items this time around and I like that (the dreaded useless coin item is also just plain funny. I can't help but laugh when I get something stupid like a coin or a green shell when I'm trying to catch up :laughing: )

I also don't feel that mushrooms are useless, far from it, but I do feel that the star is nowhere near as useful as it was in most previous games (except for Super Circuit and DS - it wasn't really that great there either). On the other hand, the lightning bolt is much more dreaded in this game because it's the only item that makes other characters drop theirs now :)

The balance is different than the overpowered nature of Wii (or even the subdued nature of MK7), but I like it personally. They serve to enhance the race and give a chance to tip the balance in your favour, but they don't dominate the races like they arguably did in Wii or Double Dash).

The item balance is an all important part of what makes each MK game unique after all. It's not something that should be changed in a patch because it completely changes the way the game is designed to play. You take away the existing item balance and it is no longer Mario Kart 8...

Yup. Just been disconnected twice from lostmarios game.

I'm honestly just sick to death of it now, not just the disconnects, just the game in general. Once I get my gold glider ( which I have no idea where i'm at thanks for the lack of coin counter in this one Nintendo ) I will shelve the game and never look back. Unless the balancing issues get sorted and the servers get fixed I won't even waste my money on any DLC that may show up.

Pretty much how I feel. It just doesn't feel thrilling at all to me.

You take away the existing item balance and it is no longer Mario Kart 8...

Yup. It would then be a good game.

I kid. I kid...or do I? :D

Just sitting nearing the end of another 32 race marathon, whilst listening to the F-Zero GX soundtrack this time. Probably the closest I'm probably gonna get to F-Zero this generation. :)

There's a fantastic post on Miiverse by a Japanese player that has a nervous Peach listening to a Mii saying ラストにします (This is my last race for us Europeans), followed by a communication error and the tag "Why does this always happen!?".

Looking through it all, this is definitely a global issue. Good thing they're popular posts, Nintendo might see it despite their PR volunteers being very quick to downplay the issue (in the English community at the least)