N-Europe

GamesMaster Retrospective (Eurogamer)

Great read. icon14.gif

Gamesmaster was legendary, everything about it was awesome, don't think we'll ever see anything like it again either, which is a shame. :(

Dominik Diamond was absolutely hilarious, the amount of stuff he got away with on GM was just insane! The Zoe Ball celebrity challenge has to be one of the best:

From 16:00 on this vid:

"Oh no, they've slipped inside her! A couple of men slipped inside Zoe there, but she's managed to knock one of them off"
:laughing:

Still literally makes me cry with laughter today.

GM was also amazing for its footage of unreleased games, I loved seeing video from Nintendo's Space World event:

Another great thing about GM... those mermaids. ;) Especially the blonde one: :hehe:

OcFSyCJ.jpg

Edited by RedShell

Blinding article! It's amazing how anything got made at all with the kinds of budget and commisioning limitations they had in place.

Also each and every single one of them are complete nutters. It's no wonder why the show was so good :laughing:

Is it weird that I now have even more respect for Dave Perry after reading his account of that famous "Bombshell" moment? You really couldn't script this stuff and that's what made the show so good (well, except for the Dexter Fletcher series - which I had actually completely forgotten about! :o ), it was all real! It wasn't designed by committee, it wasn't all neatly laid out and planned perfectly in advance; it was spontaneous and organic. All real! :D

They also weren't afraid to piss off just about anyone who they didn't like either. It was because of them that Rare stopped giving out video interviews with the media after Dom took the piss out of the Stamper Bros live on air :laughing:

I will always associate Patrick Moore with that weird Zordon lookalike head. God bless the 90s and god bless Gamesmaster :bowdown:

Edited by Dcubed

Some of the stuff in that article is really enlightening...

For example:

I never realised Dave Perry didn't appear on the show after THAT Mario 64 incident.

I knew Patrick Moore went in and recording his segments separately I didn't realise it was quite so separate that Dominic Diamond barely knew him.

All of this has made me decide to dig up this old thread and have another crack at the Gamesmaster Club:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1570916#post1570916