N-Europe

Wii U VC

madeinbeats

... :blank:

Well I'm obviously not too fond at the thought of abandoning 'VC Weekly' as our feature title - even if I am still closing the gap and its gone from being technically bi-weekly to two-times (or more) :indeed: weekly - as I think the term Virtual Console is now well and truly ingrained into Nintendo's culture or even indeed the culture of gaming itself.

In any case the column only had a redesign at #300 so I don't think it would do us 'N-E' good to go changing things, at least not until this actually becomes more official... even then if it does I think we'd still probably keep the namesake, I hope. :heh:

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't see any mention of Virtual Console throughout the eShop. We'll see if Nintendo release a statement on the matter or what they call next weeks "Virtual Console" releases. It could be part of a rebranding along with Club Nintendo.

The virtual console is a great name for their past consoles... Hmm.... I wonder how they'll market all this, section it off and such. Probably a confusing mess as per their other stuff. Maybe they were annoyed at how much it made sense so decided to sort that out!!

content-4-34067-vcw299luigi.jpg

content-4-34080-10.jpg

Is that the change you meant? I'd never noticed. And there's nothing wrong with a plug for the main site.

It certainly is... bonus points if you spotted that I started adding a 'death stare' to Luigi just before we changed over to the new redesign when it was around the height of popularity for the Mario Kart 8 centric phenomenon. :heh:

I'll likely plug VC Weekly on the forum more when I'm properly back up to date, but it's always good to know that it's enjoyed as I still love writing it, especially on those landmark release weeks such as when we finally got Sin & Punishment way back on the Wii VC or Earthbound just over a year or so ago. :D

There are of course a good few other decent, recent releases but those will always stick in my mind, I'm actually looking forward to getting up to reviewing Axelay as that has been a secretly wanted title of mine for quite a while being that we so cruelly missed out on it in Europe the first time around but at least that wrong has now been righted. : peace:

I like the WIi games being under the Virtual Console banner too to be honest. I almost think they should play on the different consoles even more within their UI. Get rid of their stupid, awful, pointless wara wara plaza and put in NES, SNES, GBA, WII etc consoles, click on them to play game :)

Maybe even see friends SNES collections and such....

Virtual Console is still in use on the Wii U and the 3DS. It's just, for that one section on their main page, they're including Wii games and the Wii games are not Virtual Console releases so they had to reword it.

Also note that they let the VirtualConsole trademark drop, not the Virtual Console one which is still in effect

Exactly. It's not being used for Wii games because they're not actually emulated - they're just digital releases of Wii games (which are still currently being sold at retail) as they are, running through a modified Wii Mode, not emulated/enhanced versions of classics that are no longer sold at retail. It's no different really from a digital release of a Wii U game in that respect, hence why the Virtual Console branding is not used for Wii games.

If you look at the icons and shop banners for NES/SNES/GBA games though, you'll notice that they all still use the Virtual Console brand (and the brand is referenced throughout each game's manual and on the Virtual Console Menu). It would be confusing though if Wii games weren't considered "Gaming Classics from Past Systems" though, so they just lump them all together for simplicity's sake - even if the Wii games are technically seperate from the Virtual Console games.

Edited by Dcubed

Exactly. It's not being used for Wii games because they're not actually emulated - they're just digital releases of Wii games (which are still currently being sold at retail) as they are, running through a modified Wii Mode, not emulated/enhanced versions of classics that are no longer sold at retail. It's no different really from a digital release of a Wii U game in that respect, hence why the Virtual Console branding is not used.

Why not keep the Virtual Console logo and keep the Wii in its own section? Trying to baffle more people? I was thinking lets see how they categorise the games for release next week but sure they already did it for this week.

This weeks Wii U eShop releases and special offers commencing 22 January.

Wii U

Citizens of Earth – €9.59/£7.99 (Until January 29, regular price €11.99/£9.99. €7.19/£5.99 if you own the Nintendo 3DS version)

Donkey Kong Country Returns – €9.99/£8.99 (Until January 29)

Wii U VC

Donkey Kong Jr. Math (NES) – €4.99/£3.49

DK: King of Swing (GBA) – €6.99/£6.29

Wii U Special Offers

Super Toy Cars – €3.99/£3.49 (Ends January 29)

99Moves – €1.49/£1.34 (Ends February 12)

Abyss – €1.49/£1.34 (Ends February 12)

99Seconds – €1.49/£1.34 (Ends February 12)

Blok Drop U – €0.99/£0.79 (Ends March 18)

In the press release it's kept separate, yet on the eShop they lump it into one and no mention of Virtual Console.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

It's also wrong. The GCN controller is supported by all Wii VC games and there's nothing wrong with the emulation on Wii outside of a few minor glitches with the emulation on some N64 games (it uses HLE and is based on the one used on the GCN for the OoT/MQ and Zelda Collector's Edition discs - it's very feature light, lacking things like Suspend Saves, support for the Rumble Pak/Memory Pak etc and has a few minor visual and sound glitches in a few games - it's also probably being completely re-written from scratch for Wii U, which would explain why it's taking so long to surface here) and a horrible & unfortunate blur filter used on most TG16 games - thankfully Castlevania Rondo of Blood is the one major exception that had the filter removed! :yay:

It even supports true 240p output via RGB Scart/Composite in addition to 480p via Component! (except N64, since obviously all games are re-rendered in 480p) - Mind you though, the NeoGeo VC doesn't support 480p output, only 480i or 240p, but that's a minor nitpick really (as well as the unfortunate lack of support for Suspend Saves, just like with N64); it's still by far the best way to play NeoGeo games to date though!

Otherwise, yup, it's a pretty good chart :)

You do realise that's a chart referring to the Wii U, yes? Big clue in the bottom right corner, if you needed it.

Why not keep the Virtual Console logo and keep the Wii in its own section? Trying to baffle more people? I was thinking lets see how they categorise the games for release next week but sure they already did it for this week.

In the press release it's kept separate, yet on the eShop they lump it into one and no mention of Virtual Console.

What are you talking about? The Press release says it quite clearly

Donkey Kong Country Returns (Nintendo) Wii U (Wii Download) Nintendo eShop from 22/01/2015 €9.99 / £8.99 / CHF14.00 until 29.01.2014 23:59 UTC. Regular price €19.99 / £17.99 / CHF28.00 Nintendo UK PR

Game Description: Two of the best-loved – and certainly the hairiest – video game characters on the planet are set to make a roaring return in Donkey Kong™ Country Returns. And, for the first time ever in the series, the primate pals can now face their foes side-by-side, courtesy of a new two-player mode. Donkey Kong Country Returns offers the popular side-scrolling experience the series is known for, together with new levels, spectacular graphics and added depth to gameplay, courtesy of fully 3D environments – all of which are sure to delight both fans and series newcomers alike. In this latest instalment from Nintendo, in association with Retro Studios, you’ll find yourself immersed in dynamic duo, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong’s, quest across jungle, beach and ruins to rescue Donkey Kong’s precious banana hoard from an array of enemies.

Donkey Kong Jr. Math

(Nintendo) Wii U (Virtual Console - NES) Nintendo eShop from 22/01/2015 €4.99 / £3.49 / CHF7.00 Nintendo UK PR

Game Description: Join Donkey Kong Jr. for a maths lesson with a difference! In this educational NES game, swing and jump around the stage, collecting numbers and symbols to calculate the correct figure displayed by Donkey Kong. Put your mathematical skills to the test in single player mode or challenge a friend to a two-player maths race. You can even pester your opponent by grabbing numbers before they do!

This is the US version of the game.

DK™: King of Swing

(Nintendo) Wii U (Virtual Console - Game Boy Advance) Nintendo eShop from 22/01/2015 €6.99 / £6.29 / CHF9.80 Nintendo UK PR

Game Description: The denizens of Donkey Kong’s home are staging a contest to find the ultimate hero. So when King K. Rool swipes all the medals, DK swings into action. DK: King of Swing is a unique platformer using just two buttons. Press L and R to lunge and leap from branch to branch and attack enemies, as you clamber your way through the levels. In addition to the main Adventure mode, you can also try your hand at Jungle Jam as you

@Serebii What am I talking about? What are you talking about?

The press release has a Virtual Console section. Yet when you go on the eShop there's no section titled Virtual Console now. The press release keeps them separate but on the eShop both Wii games and VC games are under the one banner. The Virtual Console should have been left alone and keep Wii games in its own defined section.

The press release has a Virtual Console section. Yet when you go on the eShop there's no section titled Virtual Console now. The press release keeps them separate but on the eShop both Wii games and VC games are under the one banner. The Virtual Console should have been left alone and keep Wii games in its own defined section.

I misread your post. My apologies.

That doesn't mean that the brand is disappearing! It's just a catch-all category for all "classic" games and they've put the two sets of software together for simplicity's sake.

Virtual Console specifically refers to emulated classic games (with a standardised set of extra features that come along with emulation); that's why it is called "Virtual" Console. These downloadable Wii games are not emulated, therefore they are not Virtual Console titles.

Simple.

That doesn't mean that the brand is disappearing! It's just a catch-all category for all "classic" games and they've put the two sets of software together for simplicity's sake.

Virtual Console specifically refers to emulated classic games (with a standardised set of extra features that come along with emulation); that's why it is called "Virtual" Console. These downloadable Wii games are not emulated, therefore they are not Virtual Console titles.

Simple.

I know all that and how they're running through the Wii mode. I'm saying leave Virtual Console as it was. Have Wii games in their own dedicated section on the eShop. Just because Wii games are here now shouldn't mean the Virtual Console sign has to come down on the eShop.

But @Wii, I don't understand what you're saying! You like that they've lumped them all together, yes? Yes.

I'm just kidding, of course :p

Tbh I don't go on the eShop much, I just find it a bit poorly organised for general browsing against specific searching for things. Mostly if/when I do go on I'll skip straight to the offers section and pay little attention to much else.

But @Wii, I don't understand what you're saying! You like that they've lumped them all together, yes? Yes.

I'm just kidding, of course :p

Tbh I don't go on the eShop much, I just find it a bit poorly organised for general browsing against specific searching for things. Mostly if/when I do go on I'll skip straight to the offers section and pay little attention to much else.

The 3DS eShop is especially horrific. The RFN guys often have a good joke about just how bad it's design is and I have to agree with them.

The 3DS eShop is especially horrific. The RFN guys often have a good joke about just how bad it's design is and I have to agree with them.

I haven't listened to RFN for a long while(possibly not since the episode before their big live one) but I do recall one where they spoke a lot about 3DS and the eShop too, was joking speculation about why it was so bad but tbh felt like it could have been an actual possibility.

You have to remember though that these guys would be using the US store, which has a completely different layout (they don't have the same kinds of categories that we do, they don't even have a general Demos or Virtual Console category on the bottom carousel!)

The US 3DS eShop layout is utterly horrible! The EU one is miles better! (Same thing as with Sony's PSN store, the US layout is utterly terrible while the EU one is better).

I haven't listened to RFN for a long while(possibly not since the episode before their big live one) but I do recall one where they spoke a lot about 3DS and the eShop too, was joking speculation about why it was so bad but tbh felt like it could have been an actual possibility.

You need to jump back in, dude. This weeks is especially awesome, what with James going off it over the New 3DS situation over there. :D

I listened to the podcast. I like it, but that James is far too irritating when he's screaming all the time. He's pretty irritating in general with his whiny high pitched voice, constant swearing and screaming, but the most annoying thing is how he interrupts EVERYONE!!!! He was less interesting in the second half with their top 5's, but still a little annoying... And I really can imagine me ever warming to him. Shame, as some of the things he says is pretty good and surprisingly intelligent.

BUT, the podcast itself is still good and I'll keep listening to it! I like the other guys.

I listened to the podcast. I like it, but that James is far too irritating when he's screaming all the time. He's pretty irritating in general with his whiny high pitched voice, constant swearing and screaming, but the most annoying thing is how he interrupts EVERYONE!!!! He was less interesting in the second half with their top 5's, but still a little annoying... And I really can imagine me ever warming to him. Shame, as some of the things he says is pretty good and surprisingly intelligent.

BUT, the podcast itself is still good and I'll keep listening to it! I like the other guys.

Yeah, he's certainly a marmite character. I personally think he's hilarious. They are all intelligent guys ( think Jonny worked for NASA at one point ) and know their stuff when it comes to gaming.

Big respect to Jonny for placing Kirby where he did.

Yeah, he's certainly a marmite character. I personally think he's hilarious. They are all intelligent guys ( think Jonny worked for NASA at one point ) and know their stuff when it comes to gaming.

Big respect to Jonny for placing Kirby where he did.

Yeah that was crazy, a few surprising choices. But nice it wasn't all the obvious ones, and certainly made me want to play all the Gargoyles/Demon Quest games :)

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!