N-Europe

Weight Loss and Fitness 2013

Fierce_LiNk

I've always done no less than 40 minutes and no more than an hour n a half. I personally think you are better to do half an hour 4 days a week than an hour twice a week

Did a double vipr clean and press, 10kg one inside a 16kg. Got to 19 reps and couldn't physically move my forearms to get that twist motion from under your hands to over. Changes your grip completely as well as you have to hold both of the weights in place. Good for grip.

20kg kettlebell swing x22 (reps of 10 and 12) and single hand swing of 16kg (again x22, 10 and 12). Could've done my normal 10-12-15 sets with everything but the C&P but I think my arms needed a rest so just stayed with the 10-12.

Adding some variance into my week:

Sat - Cardio kettlebell session (the thing I talked about a few days ago, 20 sets of 20 swings in 30 seconds with 30s break between)

Sun - Heavy lifts day (with personal trainer)

Mon - REST

Tue - Freestyle (the kettlebell, trx, and vipr routine I do. Not super super heavy but more reps) + yoga class

Wed - REST

Thu - Freestyle (same as Tuesday, but might have a chat with him and see if I can split it more and do different things each day, perhaps an upper body day and lower body day)

Fri - REST

Once I get used to this I intend to add a spin class in somewhere to get some more cardio. 3 rest days cause those are the days I fast during the day. (so not wise to go straight from a 24 hour fast to any kind of gym session)

Need to get a physio to look at my knee, still havent really recovered from the damage I did on the KNEEEE meet 2008 (lol irony), smashed my kneecap off an escalator step in the airport on the way home. Classy burd that I am. My knee must have doubled in size, and its been swollen ever since. Nothing broken as I had an xray but I think there's some cartilage or tendon injury as it was a really bad fall (well 18 stone onto a single joint is never a good idea)

Edited by Raining_again
Automerged Doublepost

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always done no less than 40 minutes and no more than an hour n a half. I personally think you are better to do half an hour 4 days a week than an hour twice a week

Cheers duck :)

Was thinking of 'allotting' 90 minutes in the morning before work for it, but not necessarily use all of them. May do a 45 minute work out then a brief (but not strenuous) swim. Mostly doing the swim to work my shitty back muscles.

Wow, you're looking guuuuuurrrrd, Raining! Go you! :D

I've done a two mile run today after so long. I look a bit fat so it's time to fight that bitch I call my bellyfat and lose some pounds off my fat ass! I do weights, push-ups and sit-ups every night. I'm hoping that this year is my year. I'm trying to keep a blog on my weight loss adventures but I need to actually post them! haha. I'll post some pictures on as well!

I've lost two pounds recently, making me 16st 11lbs. Hurrah! This year, I aim to get to 15st before my birthday. The ultimate goal is 15st but I'll be happy to be 15st 7lb, which would be the slimmest I'd have ever been!

Oh and Raining, love the hair colour! ;)

Ty Animal =) well done on the loss too!

Two mile run... bleh, think I'd rather die :p

I did consider that option but then my mirror motivated me to go out and run. Got my running soundtrack on my phone so the time flew by for me. Stopped a few times (which I expected because it's been so long) but yeah, quite happy overall.

I did consider that option but then my mirror motivated me to go out and run. Got my running soundtrack on my phone so the time flew by for me. Stopped a few times (which I expected because it's been so long) but yeah, quite happy overall.

Its a great calorie burner, just not for me. Got a meniscal tear (knee cartilage) and a clicky hip so running is pretty much a no =P

Its a great calorie burner, just not for me. Got a meniscal tear (knee cartilage) and a clicky hip so running is pretty much a no =P

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I take it you're not able to go on the crosstrainer either?

I do a mixture of running and playing the Wii. My friends have told me that the Wii doesn't do anything but I disagree, I think it all depends on the games you're playing. Personally, Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus does absolutely nothing for me except for the hula-hoop one (which is by far my favourite game to play on it) but I usually go on dance games like Just Dances or the Experience games (like Michael Jackson or BEP, even though I haven't touched the latter game because will.i.am kind of puts me off, haha). I also play a couple of good fitness-based games that I'd recommend to anyone. The first one is My Fitness Coach, which is fantastic and will manage to have you sweating. The other one is Gold Gym's Cardio Workout, which gives you a boxing routine and is a lot of fun.

I'm going to try out Shaun T's Insanity once I've lost a little more weight. I tried it last week and my feet were killing me. The extra weight doesn't help much so I'm going to lose some and then do it again. Had the same problem before.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I take it you're not able to go on the crosstrainer either?

I do a mixture of running and playing the Wii. My friends have told me that the Wii doesn't do anything but I disagree, I think it all depends on the games you're playing. Personally, Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus does absolutely nothing for me except for the hula-hoop one (which is by far my favourite game to play on it) but I usually go on dance games like Just Dances or the Experience games (like Michael Jackson or BEP, even though I haven't touched the latter game because will.i.am kind of puts me off, haha). I also play a couple of good fitness-based games that I'd recommend to anyone. The first one is My Fitness Coach, which is fantastic and will manage to have you sweating. The other one is Gold Gym's Cardio Workout, which gives you a boxing routine and is a lot of fun.

I'm going to try out Shaun T's Insanity once I've lost a little more weight. I tried it last week and my feet were killing me. The extra weight doesn't help much so I'm going to lose some and then do it again. Had the same problem before.

Anything that elevates your heartbeat is exercise, walking is exercise compared to lying in bed or laying on the couch watching tv, fuck em! Full of shit so they are!

I can do short runs, but I can't really justify it cause I know doing it regularly will cause me damage. Stuff like tennis/squash is a complete no no because I can't really twist my left knee (it causes a LOT of pain and my joint snaps) and things like running or 1 legged squats where I'm putting a lot of weight on one hip or knee would hurt. The xtrainer is actually quite good because both of my feet are static on the pedals and i'm not forcing a lot of weight through my knee, nor am I twisting the joint.

I like doing my weight training cause it doesn't involve a lot of jerky quick movement, kettlebell cardio is as fast as it gets for me and that's all through the core =)

Anything that elevates your heartbeat is exercise, walking is exercise compared to lying in bed or laying on the couch watching tv, fuck em! Full of shit so they are!

I can do short runs, but I can't really justify it cause I know doing it regularly will cause me damage. Stuff like tennis/squash is a complete no no because I can't really twist my left knee (it causes a LOT of pain and my joint snaps) and things like running or 1 legged squats where I'm putting a lot of weight on one hip or knee would hurt. The xtrainer is actually quite good because both of my feet are static on the pedals and i'm not forcing a lot of weight through my knee, nor am I twisting the joint.

I like doing my weight training cause it doesn't involve a lot of jerky quick movement, kettlebell cardio is as fast as it gets for me and that's all through the core =)

I love squash and tennis but I can see why you don't, it's very fast and quick. I love the crosstrainer, it's so awesome! I love rowing and the weights as well. I do the weights almost every night.

You ever thought of doing some of the fitness games on the Wii?

Had a nice solid 2 month streak before Christmas but then assignments and college got in the way and I spend a month on my ass. Just got back again onto my 3rd session since that break and it's going well. Did my normal 80 lengths today. The 50 pyramid lengths I've sped up on a bit and it's really tiring, but it feels great. For once my legs actually feel really tired at the end. Wanted to give up through it but pushed through. I hope I can keep this up, especially since exams are nearly here.

Also, congrats on the weight loss Raining. Great stuff.

So I'm torn, lying naked on the floor, about which gym to join. The facilities are pretty much the same, but it's the commitment that's causing me uncertainty:

1) The council gym near(ish) work. £45 a month, no contract and no joining fee. However, I move in three months and probably will be going south of the river, so would have to find somewhere new.

2) LA Fitness. Currently £25/month but goes up to £50 after 2 months. £25 joining fee and for 15 months (weirdly), but I can use another one of their gyms. Looking at it though, the only gym they have in South London is Sydenham, which is a bit out the way (they have others in non-London SL places like Croydon too, but screw that). But then it depends where I end up, just currently assuming it will be SL.

So yeah...I suck at making decisions.

So I'm torn, lying naked on the floor, about which gym to join. The facilities are pretty much the same, but it's the commitment that's causing me uncertainty:

1) The council gym near(ish) work. £45 a month, no contract and no joining fee. However, I move in three months and probably will be going south of the river, so would have to find somewhere new.

2) LA Fitness. Currently £25/month but goes up to £50 after 2 months. £25 joining fee and for 15 months (weirdly), but I can use another one of their gyms. Looking at it though, the only gym they have in South London is Sydenham, which is a bit out the way (they have others in non-London SL places like Croydon too, but screw that). But then it depends where I end up, just currently assuming it will be SL.

So yeah...I suck at making decisions.

So I guess the fortune teller lied.

Go with the first one, definitely. You don't really have any idea where you'll be in 3 months. You might end up finding a nice place in a completely different area and there might not be an LA Fitness nearby. That last thing you want to do is pay for such a lengthy contract as that...I could see that going wrong quite easily.

Choose the first one, then cancel it when you move and see if there's anything else close to your new place. If there is an LA Fitness, maybe choose it then, provided you'll be thinking of staying within that area for that amount of time.

So I guess the fortune teller lied.

Go with the first one, definitely. You don't really have any idea where you'll be in 3 months. You might end up finding a nice place in a completely different area and there might not be an LA Fitness nearby. That last thing you want to do is pay for such a lengthy contract as that...I could see that going wrong quite easily.

Choose the first one, then cancel it when you move and see if there's anything else close to your new place. If there is an LA Fitness, maybe choose it then, provided you'll be thinking of staying within that area for that amount of time.

Fortune teller?

Yeah I probably will go with the first one. The second one sounded good until I started looking into it, which was while I was writing that post.

and do put some clothes on before you head out to join ;)

Good idea!

Fortune teller?

Yeah I probably will go with the first one. The second one sounded good until I started looking into it, which was while I was writing that post.

Good idea!

From Tooooorn. Although, I just looked it up and the line is apparently "So I guess the fortune teller's right." I've been living a LIE.

@Fierce_LiNk Where did you get your squat bar from? :)

Do you mean the barbell or the squat stands?

Currently I'm using the barbell I got with my weights set, which is from here.

That's 14Ocm. I've gone up to 90kg or so on that and the bar held nice and firmly. Also managed 100kg deadlift on it no problem.

I'm getting a 7ft (I think, or at least close to it) barbell for my birthday. Will post impressions on that when it comes!

The squat stands are these ones. Working well so far.

Do you mean the barbell or the squat stands?

Currently I'm using the barbell I got with my weights set, which is from here.

That's 14Ocm. I've gone up to 90kg or so on that and the bar held nice and firmly. Also managed 100kg deadlift on it no problem.

I'm getting a 7ft (I think, or at least close to it) barbell for my birthday. Will post impressions on that when it comes!

The squat stands are these ones. Working well so far.

squat stand sorry, I r having blonde moment =P

I'm looking into getting the whole lot so this is useful info ty x

squat stand sorry, I r having blonde moment =P

I'm looking into getting the whole lot so this is useful info ty x

It's worth noting that the top of the stand retracts all of the way down, which comes to around hip height or so (on me anyway) and you can overlap the feet of the stands when putting it away, so they don't take up much storage space when not used. If you imagine a square where each side is about 40cm and has a height of around 70 or so, then that's how much space it takes up. Not a great deal at all.

I use the stands for squatting, military pressing, in conjunction with the bench for flat, incline and decline benching, as well as seated shoulder pressing. You can also use the spotter stands (the black parts that stick outwards) placed towards the bottom for deadlifts that are not quite on the floor, if you have problems with knees. It's good for height clearance off the ground.

All in all, would recommend. They're quite sturdy, which is what you want/need really. I'm using standard weight plates, so I'm not entirely sure if the stand is appropriate if you're using Olympic barbells and weights, as it might be slightly too thick for the stand.

the amazon description reckons it can take an oly bar. Sounds like a great piece of kit =)

How is yer lifting going on by the way?

If it can, then it's a bargain at that price. I picked it up for 55quid a few months ago. Think it was reduced from £170 or something at the time.

Lifting is going well at the moment. I really needed this as I was struggling to get consistency beforehand. As I wasn't consistent, I struggled to make gains. Shoulder pressing is getting better, I've switched to seated barbell pressing (sometimes military pressing) and can manage about 42/45kg now for 5 reps, which is an improvement on before.

Squatting and deadlifting will take some time, as I've only just bought the bigger weights. Have managed to get back up to 90kg for the squat and 100 for the deadlift, which is a step in the right direction. I've noticed that I am exercising my legs a lot more now than I used to, purely because I have access to the equipment and can do it a lot more consistently.

Went through a phase of about 4 months or so where I just struggled to make it to the gym. Probably longer than that, too. So, this has definitely helped. Probably the wisest investment I've ever made, in all honesty.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk