NEurope
Retro_Link

Bayonetta 2

38,828 copies of Bayonetta 2 were sold since release in Japan... Only four days ago so things will improve but...

For some context, the original shifted 64,325 on Xbox 360 alone in its first week.

For some context, the original shifted 64,325 on Xbox 360 alone in its first week.

In Japan?

The reviews and impressions for this game are pretty favourable. I might actually pick it up along with Bayonetta 1. Haven't tried it so don't know if I'd like it. The videos make it look a bit boring and like a button masher.

38,828 copies of Bayonetta 2 were sold since release in Japan... Only four days ago so things will improve but...

Industry was a much better place in Japan back then, to be fair.

Home console market there is dead, handheld isn't far behind. Japan is embracing mobile rapidly and it's scary.

No, those sales aren't good, but they're in line with what we should expect and what most games that aren't Pokémon, Monster Hunter or Youkai Watch get.

Seriously, last week the 3DS did only ~50,000, and did better than all other devices combined. The industry is in hell...but this is a discussion for another topic.

Yeah, but this was on the Xbox 360 in Japan. ON THE 360!

I think it will do far better in the west. When it comes to the home console market Japan has completely lost the plot at the moment.

Yeah, but this was on the Xbox 360 in Japan. ON THE 360!

I think it will do far better in the west. When it comes to the home console market Japan has completely lost the plot at the moment.

Was still at a different time.

TBH, I actually expected worse ::shrug:

On the bright side, it should do significantly better in the west at least...

Home console market there is dead, handheld isn't far behind. Japan is embracing mobile rapidly and it's scary.

No, those sales aren't good, but they're in line with what we should expect and what most games that aren't Pokémon, Monster Hunter or Youkai Watch get.

Seriously, last week the 3DS did only ~50,000, and did better than all other devices combined. The industry is in hell...but this is a discussion for another topic.

Was a different time but the wii u has a bigger install Base than the 360 had in Japan when Bayonetta 1 was released.

I don't think it's unfair to of expected Bayonetta 2 to have sold more on the Wii u than the first one did on the 360 but then you remember the Nintendo demographic don't really dig these type of games.

3DS has a new device round the corner. The sales of the current devices should slow down as people wait for the new device to drop.

Was a different time but the wii u has a bigger install Base than the 360 had in Japan when Bayonetta 1 was released.

I don't think it's unfair to of expected Bayonetta 2 to have sold more on the Wii u than the first one did on the 360 but then you remember the Nintendo demographic don't really dig these type of games.

3DS has a new device round the corner. The sales of the current devices should slow down as people wait for the new device to drop.

It doesn't work that way and you know it.

This is disappointing. But I think it's also the state of the industry in general.

The charts are increasingly dominated by cookie cutter yearly releases and many masterpieces are overlooked.

Madden, FIFA, COD, Battlefield, NFS, Assassins Creed etc - all of these dominate the charts and stick around for ages.

Yet a game like Bayonetta 2 will be a flash in the pan and disappear regardless of quality or or value (after all the double pack is amazing value for money considering the quality of the games).

what's the deal with the double pack?

Not really my kind of game, but if the deal is that good I'll probably get it for a rainy day.

what's the deal with the double pack?

Not really my kind of game, but if the deal is that good I'll probably get it for a rainy day.

You get both the first Bayonetta and the new installment. If it's not your kind of game, you really shouldn't pay full price for the double pack, though.

If you don't enjoy the gameplay, it just isn't worth it, in my opinion.

I loved Bayonetta and can't wait to get the second one, but I have to wait until December :(

It doesn't work that way and you know it.

Your right it doesn't and I don't think you can deny that a game such as Bayonetta is more likely to sell more on other platforms regardless of the install base simply because Nintendo fans are not so receptive to such games.

The game would of bombed on any platform that we know but man it would be nice to see a third party game like this sell more than 38k on the Wii U.

This is disappointing. But I think it's also the state of the industry in general.

The charts are increasingly dominated by cookie cutter yearly releases and many masterpieces are overlooked.

Madden, FIFA, COD, Battlefield, NFS, Assassins Creed etc - all of these dominate the charts and stick around for ages.

Yet a game like Bayonetta 2 will be a flash in the pan and disappear regardless of quality or or value (after all the double pack is amazing value for money considering the quality of the games).

Indeed. Even then, I truly believe the industry is heading for a crash. Increased budgets, minimal returns...practically only the AAA annual crap selling well. Console sales being heavily frontloaded then collapsing to worse than the consoles were in years past. It's all doomed.

I would make a post about it elsewhere here, but I'm sure certain people would call me a fanboy and then say "but the PS4!!!!!!!!! it's more cinematic"

I would make a post about it elsewhere here, but I'm sure certain people would call me a fanboy and then say "but the PS4!!!!!!!!! it's more cinematic"

Or you could just write that post, make it coherent, factual and leave it open to discussion instead of making this passive aggressive statement.

I for one, would appreciate if you made a post where you explain (in detail) why you think "the industry is heading for a crash". I'm not into the business side of video gaming like others are, but I am interested in things like this.

And if someone says "LOL PS4/M$ owns", ignore them and focus on your point and those who answer without spouting crap like that. :)

Anyway, reviews are out for Bayonetta 2. Don't want to read them to avoid spoilers, but is there any news about how long the game is? It will decide whether I'll get it in November or rather around Christmas.

Anyway, reviews are out for Bayonetta 2. Don't want to read them to avoid spoilers, but is there any news about how long the game is? It will decide whether I'll get it in November or rather around Christmas.

I hear that it's around the same length as the original (if not a little longer). So 10-12 hours your first time through (which is very long for a game in this genre).

(And the original is about 11-15 hours to beat, see http://www.howlongtobeat.com/search.php?t=games&s=bayonetta )

Does anyone know the price for both 1 and 2 on eShop?

For the 2 together? It'll be the same price as the retail compilation pack (each game will be £30 on the eShop I believe, but when you buy one, the other game becomes £10 to buy - making it the same £40 price as the retail bundle)

have not read the review but this got 10/10 from Edge. So £40 for the double pack does seem a real bargain.

I don't think the industry will crash, it will just get like the film industry.

It will live off major block busters and recycled sequels. This is already happening. It will see less major releases, and there will be a bigger pressure on those releases to perform because of bloated budgets.

Bayonetta 2 sold through 67% of its initial shipment in Japan

According to Media Create, Bayonetta 2 sold roughly 39,000 units in its first week. But this doesn’t paint the full picture.

Bayonetta 1 sold 200,000 copies when it launched for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 back in 2009. In a follow-up report, Media Create mentions that the decline in sales for the sequel comes down to the Wii U’s smaller install base and different demographics.

Media Create also shares a bit more about Bayonetta 2’s sales. The game actually managed to sell through 67.29 percent of its initial shipment. There weren’t sell-outs, but Bayonetta 2 did end up shifting approximately two-thirds of the shipment.

It’s also important to remember that Bayonetta 2 launched in Japan on September 20. Media Create’s reporting period for the week ended on September 21, so the game did not come close to experiencing a full week of sales.

http://nintendoeverything.com/bayonetta-2-sold-through-67-of-its-initial-shipment-in-japan/

That last bit I've highlighted, it could be important. We'll see what next week brings. It came out on a Saturday, maybe people were enjoying the weekend off. Still if you want it, I'd say most would get it launch day. I think and hope it'll sell better in Europe and NA.

Supposedly, some stores have had a second shipment of Bayo 2 ordered in (Amazon JP springs to mind), so that's a good sign at least :)

At least it's not gonna hit the bomba bins...

I don't think the industry will crash, it will just get like the film industry.

It will live off major block busters and recycled sequels. This is already happening. It will see less major releases, and there will be a bigger pressure on those releases to perform because of bloated budgets.

Your film analogy is spot on. Games like Assassin's Creed and FIFA are the Fast and Furious and Transformers of our beloved medium. There is still a lot of other great content out there.

In fact, I'd argue that there are more great non-AAA games available now than ever before. Heck the Wii U just had SteamWorld Dig and Teslagrad release and we have ShovelKnight in a few weeks. At no other point do I remember there being such great quality in smaller titles.

My world doesn't revolve around AAA games andI'm better off for it.

So Digital Foundry did their Bayo 1 face off...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-bayonetta-wii-u-face-off

And it's good news as expected :) Slightly better performance than the 360 version, faster loading times (with or without a full HDD installation on 360) and with some minor visual tweaks like higher res shadows - but most importantly, no bloody screen tearing! (not unexpected, given that Nintendo mandate VSync on all Wii U games, but still hugely appreciated because the original game used to tear like crazy, even on 360 - ugh! easily the ugliest and most nausea inducing visual artefact you can have in a game :shakehead)

Not bad for a freebie bonus! (And then there are the extra costumes, Off TV play, Miiverse stamps & support and touch controls added for good measure too!) Platinum Games once again earn their name :bowdown: (and well done to Beeline studios for a great port as well! : peace: )

Can't wait to plough through Bayo 1 again! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Good port, but it's an old game so it should run perfectly on a slightly better console. Nothing that impresses me :p