NEurope
ReplayEvents

Play Expo – Manchester (UK) - 13-14th October 2012

Play Expo takes place at Manchester’s EventCity on 13-14th October and is the UK’s newest large-scale Gaming Expo, offering gamers the unique opportunity to experience all aspects of the hobby under one massive roof. The Expo is essentially four events in one:

now.play is a showcase of the latest games and innovations from some of the biggest names in the industry, including Nintendo, EA, Konami and Namco Bandai.

pro.play is a dedicated area for competitive multiplayer gaming. Our partners from the EGL will be running tournaments on the likes of FIFA, Call of Duty and Super Street Fighter IV, with cash prizes to be won.

re.play celebrates the history of gaming with over 300 classic consoles, home computers, arcade and pinball machines. Everything from Pong to the PS3 will be available for visitors to play, with special themed areas, competitions, giveaways and much more.

cos.play is a dedicated area focussing on Cosplay, Anime and Japanese Gaming culture, with masquerades, skits and contests throughout the weekend.

We want Play Expo to be the ultimate celebration of gaming and believe it is the ideal opportunity for online communities to meet 'in real life' in an environment perfectly suited to their hobby! With plenty of hotels, shops and nightlife nearby and excellent transport links, Manchester is the perfect location for the Expo and for community meets.

Your community leaders have agreed to support the Expo and if any N-Europe members are interested in coming to the event, we can offer a special package for your community, including a designated meeting place at the event, a 'team photo', lanyards and passes and discounted tickets for group purchases.

You can connect with Replay Events and Play Expo via the popular social networking sites. We are running weekly giveaways on the Facebook page so please pop along and ‘like’ us!

If you have any questions about the event please post them here or send us a PM! :)

I'm sure the big question on your minds is whether the Wii U will be showcased at the event...

We are very hopeful it will be there but sadly cannot confirm anything for sure yet. Nintendo like to keep things very close to their chest regarding what they will bring to each event. What I can say is that at the last big event we were involved with, Games Britannia, they brought along several then-unreleased titles including Beat the Beat and New Super Mario Bros 2, and they also showcased the 3DS XL.

Well, at least it's not something listing their prices for mobile phones in US dollars. But spam is spam...

But I'd actually be interested in this, so now I'm confused...

Well, at least it's not something listing their prices for mobile phones in US dollars. But spam is spam...

It's not spam. They asked for permission before they posted.

Yeah this isn't spam its awesome

I was planning on going to this anyway, when i'm not in work i'll look into it in more detail

It's not spam. They asked for permission before they posted.

My apologies. I missed the bit where they mentioned the forum mods had agreed to support it :blush: But even if it was, it would be interesting spam!

I've asked a few mates if they fancy this. We're looking at going on the Sunday.

Edited by Dog-amoto

Definitely recommend this to anyone near Manchester.

I went to the one in Sheffield (Games Britannia) in July which was great but from what I've read about this, its much bigger.

@ReplayEvents, did my streetpass message bring you here?

Edited by lostmario

The re.play area takes shape!

Planning for the re.play area of Play Expo has now been completed and we can reveal some of the great retro gaming zones that will be available to our visitors. Remember that everything is free to play (including our already-announced Arcade and Pinball areas) and there will be over 350 classic games and systems to choose from...

Replay Lounges

Our popular Replay Lounges have already appeared at past events such as GEEK 2012 and The Gadget Show Live, but this will mark their debut at our own show. Each lounge consist of four large-screen TVs, each offering a classic multiplayer game – just sit down, grab a joypad and join in!

We will be featuring dedicated lounges for FPS games like Goldeneye, plus a dedicated racing game lounge featuring Micro Machines and Mario Kart 64. Additional lounges will feature other multiplayer party classics like Bomberman, Super Smash Bros and the legendary Warlords.

Lightgun Shooting Gallery

Go for your guns and shoot to win! Our shooting gallery will feature big screens and a range of classic lightgun games such as Point Blank, Virtua Cop, Time Crisis and Duck Hunt!

Genre-specific Game Zones

We’ll be charting the rich history of the major gaming genres with each getting its own specific area at the show. So whether you like driving games, beat em ups, sports, platformers, shooters or even puzzle games, there will be an area for you featuring standout titles from the past 35 years.

Classic Computers

It all started for many of us in the 1980’s with an 8-bit computer like the ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 or BBC Micro. If you’re a little younger then you may have tried your first taste of gaming on an Amiga or Atari ST. This zone will have them all, along with some of the less well-known computers from that classic era.

Import Only

Some of the greatest games and systems never even made it to British shores. This zone will showcase a variety of offerings from distant lands that you may never have seen before!

Console Curiosities

Here we aim to introduce you to some of the most bizarre consoles and games you’re ever likely to see! Ever killed zombies with a keyboard, played a platform game with a set of bongos, or controlled Tetris with a Balance Board? If not then you’re sure to enjoy this weird and wonderful array of obscurities. If you have, then we’ll still have some surprises for you!

Retro Request Zone

If all the great games we’ve chosen in our other zones don’t appeal to you, don’t worry! The Retro Request Zone will feature all the popular consoles from the Atari 2600 to the XBOX with a selection of games available for each. Just request your chosen game from the Play Expo crew and your own piece of gaming heaven will be delivered for you to enjoy.

And there’s much, much more... But we’ll save a few surprises for the show itself! :)

I attended this last year and gave coverage. It was really awesome to see so much retro goodness in one place, there was also some very worthy charity work going on. I am hoping that I am going to be able to attend this once again, I strongly recommend it to anyone who is unsure.

This event is among those announced where the Wii U will be playable.

How about a meet up? :)

Booked tickets for the Sunday.

Will make my mind up about the Wii U then, but to be honest, I'm mainly going for the retro stuff.

I guess you already know this but here's the official announcment...

Wii U comes to Play Expo

Here's the news that Nintendo fans have been eagerly waiting for – the Wii U is coming to Play Expo! Nintendo have confirmed their Wii U tour today and we are delighted to say the console will be available to try at our show this coming October.

With world famous Nintendo franchises like New Super Mario U and Wii U exclusives including Nintendo Land and Ubisoft’s ZombiU, the tour is the perfect place to try out the console for yourself and really experience how the Wii U and GamePad controller can change your in-home gaming experience.

As well as the chance to play pre-release Wii U titles, you will be able to play the as new Nintendo 3DS XL games too, including the upcoming Pokemon and Mario adventures.

There are Wii U challenges for you to complete, fantastic prizes to be won, and Mario and Luigi will even be there to meet and greet you. Make sure you come and check out this amazing new console.

I think I might go along to this :D For the lanyards if nothing else.

There will be lanyards? Really? Not sure about that.

sunday seems popular, any reason? different events on?

More people work Saturdays or have other plans on Saturdays perhaps? In my case it's working Saturday that's in the way.

Not booked yet, but very likely to, need to look at travel although train's an option.