N-Europe

Team Ninja would like to make another Metroid

Retro_Link

I know i'm in the minority here but I actually like Other M more than the Prime series. *ducks for cover*

I just found Other M more accessible and enjoyable than the Prime games. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the Prime series ( have yet to finish the 3rd ) but I just found Other M more fun.

I love how Other M added a lot to Fusion's plot.

I'm with you there. It acted as a good link between Super and Fusion. Can't agree with the idea that fusion is cheapened as a result of Other M.

I know i'm in the minority here but I actually like Other M more than the Prime series. *ducks for cover*

I just found Other M more accessible and enjoyable than the Prime games. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the Prime series ( have yet to finish the 3rd ) but I just found Other M more fun.

I can definitely understand why somebody would prefer Other M to Prime. They're both very good, but so different to each other. Other M is definitely more accessible, as you say, and is just easier to get into. Prime is brilliant, no doubt about it. But, at times, I did find it such an effort to play.

I quite liked the portrayal of Samus in Other M. She is meant to seem quite cold, hence the voice during the majority of the game. She really reminds me of the character of Dexter, from the TV series. Somebody who struggles with emotion. But, there are times in Other M where Samus' is overcome with it, with the battle with Ridley (loved that scene) and when Adam and her part ways (again, brilliant).

I didn't find Other M more accessible.

I thought the controls were a bit of a mess tbh and didn't feel very comfortable with them, switching between perspectives and some of the quick third person combat moves.

Metroid Prime I felt much more at home with as I thought you were introduced to everything at a perfect pace, and the controls were so natural and instinctive... one of the reasons it took a bit of getting used to the changes they made in Prime 2, with scanning and menu's etc...

Edited by Retro_Link

It all comes back to how you can't properly translate a 2D games series into 3D without changing it. Metroid: Other M was more fun than Prime, and yet Metroid Prime was better in many ways. This is because Other M was much more like Metroid, whereas Prime (although it continues many Metroid traditions) has a lot more in common with the classic FPS than is generally acknowledged. They're both good, but different.

Nintendo has to decide whether console Metroid should stay true to the classic 2D games, or dare to continue down the Prime path. Personally, I'd say keep the 2D games on handhelds, with the most elaborate sprite-scaling that can be done, because you're not going to better Zero Mission/Fusion by going the Other M route. On consoles (which after all are designed to be massive polygon-crunchers), continue down the Metroid Prime route, albeit with a 3rd-person mode and a few tweaks to things like Wall-Jumping and Screw Attack. Because Prime may be better overall, but Other M can still teach it a thing or two.

I love how Other M added a lot to Fusion's plot.

Uh what, because Adam has backstory now?

All it really does, for me, is makes Samus look like a complete fucking moron for being shocked at the "twists" in Metroid Fusion.

Cloning is already an unimaginative ass-pull plot device the first time it appears in any franchise, suggestive that a plot that looked finished is being dragged out through any means necessary. Hey there Alien Resurrection.

What's worse is when you already use the storyline of "THEY'RE CLONING METROIDS" in one game, then set a game directly before that game in the timeline and have the plot revolve around "THEY'RE CLONING METROIDS" again. Well, they're cloning Metroids and everything else this time.

I really can't stand that just because the franchise name is "Metroid" they feel that every game has to bring the Metroids back in some form or another. They're an extremely minor part of the actual gameplay experience of the games, you could easily have games with Samus that don't have Metroids in them.

Edited by James McGeachie

If anything, it's even more shocking that they're trying again. And in Fusion it's actually the Galactic Federation, not a small corrupt group inside it.

Also, I really liked how they explained how Ridley's frozen corpse is in Metroid Fusion.