NEurope
Mokong

Eurovision 2012

I think this is prolly the first year in many that there hasn't been an active Eurovision thread on these here forums while the show was on.

I didn't bother watching the songs, don't know why but just didn't have any interest. Guess with Ireland not taking part again this year (Jedward with their egos count as their own country and DO NOT represent ME :mad:) I lost interest :heh:

But watching the voting part and gotta say I was worried with all the PR and the staged media grabbing celebration Jedward did in the Semis I was worried they might be in with a chance of winning.

But half way into the votes and they only have 19 points, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Thank the gods Europe is showing more sense this year than last.

I guess all the "Jedheads" forgot to vote or were in Ireland and only just realised they can't vote for Jedward, haha.

Unsurprising ye guys in the UK gave Jedward 10 points.... that is a bad bad UK, go sit in the corner guys :mad:

Jim and I have been watching it tonight with some cider. Also watched the semi-finals during the week (Belgium didn't go through as usual).

I really want Sweden to win cause the song is amazing!

Either that or the singing grannies from Russia, they are just lovely. =P

Looks like Sweden is a done deal to win now. Caught the last few songs and been watching the voting process.

Anyone know why most the countries giving the points speak English?

I really want Sweden to win cause the song is amazing!

Either that or the singing grannies from Russia, they are just lovely. =P

I get the feeling I missed out on some good/decent songs/acts by not watching it all. I of course blame Jedward :heh:

Finding it real funny how the Irish commentator is so upset and shocked at how poor Jedward are doing. Like get over it dude dispite my pre-show worries, the rest of Europe aren't as stupid as I thought they would be.

Looks like Sweden is a done deal to win now. Caught the last few songs and been watching the voting process.

The points have always been in English (and some French)?

Otherwise no one would know what on earth is being said and everyone would just turn off the telly. =P

Jedward's song was that bad it became terribly catchy. The whole show is a crap joke though.

Jedward's song was that bad it became terribly catchy. The whole show is a crap joke though.

I think that's what they were going for as it almost worked for them last year coming 8th and they thought that was a great result that could easily be improved on this year. I'm loving how they are no where near equaling 8th :D

What's really annoying though is their Eurovision song from last year has been re-written by a radio DJ for 2FM and turned into a song for the football team for Euro 2012 *shudder* (well at least the profits for that go to ISPCC)

Pretty abysmal collection of songs this year. Worse than previous years. Nothing really there you could sit down and have a good laugh at, well except Jedward. The German entry wasn't too bad (surprised it didn't receive more votes), nor was the Swedish, but there wasn't anything standout really.

There was, though, a hell of a lot of toeing the line with regards to some of the music used as so many of the songs had music which was borderline copied from elsewhere.

Do pity Engelbert. Song wasn't great (very much a dated song that didn't fit with anything else on show), he didn't perform well and he was on first. Was never going to go well.

So happy Jedward didn't even get one 12 point vote, imagine if they had and they showed them celebrating getting 12 points. They would have acted like they won the show and done cartwheels again.

Surprised they weren't running around trying to get in the shots of which ever country was getting the 12 points :heh:

So any chance this poor showing will signal the end of Jedward?

Best part of this, Jedward have a concert in my hometown on June 3rd, it was meant to be their Eurovision victory show I bet, not any more, haha (note: I'm leaving town on the weekend of teh 3rd as I don't want to be in the same town as them :heh:)

Hopefully means next year we'll have a proper act :D

I heard the Sweden entry on a forum a few month ago and knew instantly it would run away with it.

It is pretty much bang on trend and Europe seem to love themselves an attractive girl belting out a ballad / dance ballad. In fact who doesn't love that?! :laughing:

Glad Sweden won. Great track. Englebert did no wrong bless him lol. Apart form agreeing to do it in the first place!

Some really good songs this year though I thought!!

I thought this year's selection was pretty good as well. Usually there's a lot of crap songs, but most of those are voted out in the semi-finals these days. If you watched that, you might've seen some more crap ones (Montenegro was the worst I think). =P

But yeah good songs this year. We liked Sweden, Russia, Greece, Cyprus, Albania, Romania, Serbia... =)

I loved the Russian grannies haha! Amaze.

My favourite was probably Denmark (girl with the guitar). It was totally wrong for Eurovision (hence placing poorly!) but I really liked it.

I also liked Cyprus and Iceland! We should have had a N-Eurovision party! :grin::heh:

Enjoyed it tonight as usual, along with the semi-finals on Tuesday and Thursday. At the end of the day, the whole event is great entertainment.

I do feel the song quality was a little bit lower this year, with quite a few decent songs but none that I liked as much as Lena's "Satellite" or Serbia's "Magical" (loved those two :heh:). That said, I very much enjoyed Lithuania, Italy and Turkey.

Edited by Grazza

I loved the Russian grannies haha! Amaze.

My favourite was probably Denmark (girl with the guitar). It was totally wrong for Eurovision (hence placing poorly!) but I really liked it.

I also liked Cyprus and Iceland! We should have had a N-Eurovision party! :grin::heh:

D'oh, we forgot to mention Denmark on that list. It was a good entry, the sort of song you'd love to hear on the radio. But yes, a bit out of place.

Sweden's song was definitely on a different level when compared to the rest. I've had it stuck in my head all day. Plus, the dancing is very Kate Bush-esque.

As for song quality, I thought this year's was brilliant. Excellent singers, only let down in part by song choice. The UK really need to pull their arse out and make a quality song like Euphoria for this competition.

So happy Jedward didn't even get one 12 point vote, imagine if they had and they showed them celebrating getting 12 points. They would have acted like they won the show and done cartwheels again.

Surprised they weren't running around trying to get in the shots of which ever country was getting the 12 points :heh:

So any chance this poor showing will signal the end of Jedward?

Best part of this, Jedward have a concert in my hometown on June 3rd, it was meant to be their Eurovision victory show I bet, not any more, haha (note: I'm leaving town on the weekend of teh 3rd as I don't want to be in the same town as them :heh:)

Hopefully means next year we'll have a proper act :D

I sercetly wish Jedward had won.... does that make me less of a person?

Yes.

10 cars.

It was a good entry, the sort of song you'd love to hear on the radio. But yes, a bit out of place.

Sweden's song was definitely on a different level when compared to the rest. I've had it stuck in my head all day. Plus, the dancing is very Kate Bush-esque.

As for song quality, I thought this year's was brilliant. Excellent singers, only let down in part by song choice. The UK really need to pull their arse out and make a quality song like Euphoria for this competition.

Yeah totally agree. I would like to hear Denmark's song again.

Sweden did a great job with that track. I mean, it's a no brainer really. That's the exact kind of music that is selling everywhere right now - even in America.

We did well when Jade Ewen represented us - think she came in fifth in 2009. It was a decent song, massive vocals and she's very attractive. That's where we need to go next year!

I'm revoking your human race membership.... that how much less of a person it makes you :wink:

Because it's awesome, that's why most of them sing in English. And why the Japanese ram in English words all over the place.

I'm half inspired to buy the album of Eurovision this year, there were some really good songs going.

Just had a thought... but have the last 4 winners (or more?) all been female singers?

Watched it. Still a bit bummed that Portugal didn't pass (we were so much better than Ukraine and Turkey...). Our semi-final was tough, though, it had Sweden, Estonia and 5 Balkans (Serbia was pretty good, too).

I usually like Eurovision because there's usually plenty of unique songs and acts, so it's good entertainment. This year, the songs felt very...same-y and generic, except for Russia and Turkey (Lots of yelling, too, or is that just me?).

At least the good songs stood out.

Was rooting for Estonia and Serbia, so I was pleased to see them rank well. Sweden's music is not my style, but I knew it was going to do well. Can't say it didn't deserve it.

Also, Russia usually gets a lot of votes unfairly, but I liked seeing the grannies doing well :grin: I definitely prefer unique acts.

And hooray for the Irish Twins doing badly!

Just had a thought... but have the last 4 winners (or more?) all been female singers?

Wasn't last year's winner a man and a woman?

Wasn't last year's winner a man and a woman?

Was it? I only remember the girl :heh:

selective memory I guess....

Albania was literally the worst thing to ever grace my ears. How they did relatively well I do not know. I enjoyed the slutty Greek woman's performance too.