NEurope
ReZourceman

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

I'm not surprised by the drop off, I've been looking forward to BvS for years but still haven't seen it cos I can't convince any of my mates to go :/

I'm not surprised by the drop off, I've been looking forward to BvS for years but still haven't seen it cos I can't convince any of my mates to go :/

I went by myself on my second viewing of this and what I believe was my fourth of five viewings of The Force Awakens (?). It's nice to eventually see such movies by yourself, but I hate doing so on initial viewings, and especially on opening weekends.

Is the drop off that big? I'm sure I read it was around the 60% mark and most movies are ~55% or something like that, but then I was only partially keeping up on things when I was on holiday so maybe I'm wrong.

I believe it was tracking for a 58% to 68% drop, which ended up being a 69.1% drop off to $51.3 million domestically. It dropped from $254 million to $85 million internationally, a 66% drop off. And I mean, it was sitting at fourth in China at the end of the weekend, losing out to local films which were by no means blockbusters. Seriously, it's just passed $700 million worldwide, and it's going to struggle to get to $1 billion it seems. The power of people not understanding Rotten Tomatoes? Perhaps.

This film cost over $400 million to produce and promote too. They'll be mad at WB, as they clearly seem to be.

EDIT: already starting to wonder how peculiar a choice it was to reveal the slate in the first place. A phase in Marvel is what, 4 or 5 years? Whereas, if we go from MoS, this "phase" (cohesively messy slate) will be SEVEN years long if they stick to it and end with it in 2020. I'd much rather after that they sort it into "phases", just to give it more of a meaning (and don't make minor mistakes like the MCU in revealing a phase before the current one has even finished!)

Edited by Julius Caesar

Yet another new Suicide Squad trailer has been released, no doubt to falsify the claims that the reshoots are to inject some more humour.

Woo! More Batman!

It's really weird that people thing WB can be SO reactionary. First an R-rated version of BvS because of Deadpool. Now a need to inject some humour into reshoots because BvS was humourless. If either of these were the case, they wouldn't happen so quickly, it takes a lot of planning to have a different cut of a film actually certified and I suspect more time to get everyone's schedules for reshoots to match up. And that they would release this to quell the rumours of the reshoots? Is also hilarious. They would have been planning to show this at the MTV Awards for months.

WB couldn't react this fast if they wanted to.

Anyway, I'm super excited to see a DC film without Snyder at the helm.

And I wasn't really sold on Leto as the Joker but the more I see him, the more I'm totally fucking onboard.

Also, bonus Rock at the MTV awards sporting a Black Adam t-shirt.

CfuF5m6UEAI2ocB.jpg

It's really weird that people thing WB can be SO reactionary. First an R-rated version of BvS because of Deadpool. Now a need to inject some humour into reshoots because BvS was humourless. If either of these were the case, they wouldn't happen so quickly, it takes a lot of planning to have a different cut of a film actually certified and I suspect more time to get everyone's schedules for reshoots to match up. And that they would release this to quell the rumours of the reshoots? Is also hilarious. They would have been planning to show this at the MTV Awards for months.

WB couldn't react this fast if they wanted to.

Anyway, I'm super excited to see a DC film without Snyder at the helm.

And I wasn't really sold on Leto as the Joker but the more I see him, the more I'm totally fucking onboard.

Also, bonus Rock at the MTV awards sporting a Black Adam t-shirt.

CfuF5m6UEAI2ocB.jpg

Yeah, I agree, and Ayer seemingly confirms so on his Twitter:

#SuicideSquad "reshoots for humor" is silly. When a studio loves your movie and asks what else you want, go for it! #ThanksWB #moreaction

I can't believe so many people bought into this rumours. I mean, would two weeks even be enough time to do anything of any real consequence for a major movie like this, especially considering the required sets?

And whilst "woo" at The Rock being in a Black Adam t-shirt, news has really dried up on the Shazam solo movie front. Left out of that special from a month or so back and we've had two more movies added to the slate since? Either they're preparing to blow our minds or they're absolutely clueless as to what direction they should go in with such a character.

Solo Batman confirmed (unsurprisingly). Kevin Tsujihara said "we're working with Ben Affleck on a standalone Batman movie" at Cinema Con.

Solo Batman confirmed (unsurprisingly). Kevin Tsujihara said "we're working with Ben Affleck on a standalone Batman movie" at Cinema Con.

Been waiting for this announcement since Affleck was announced as Batman.

This film better be is going to be great!

Willem Dafoe has been cast for the Justice League movies, The Hollywood Reporter confirms

According to them, he'll be playing a good guy. Martiam Manhunter? An older Green Lantern? So many ways this could go!

but first Simmons and now Dafoe. Snyder really loved the casting in Raimi's Spider-Man films, huh?

I bet he's Joe West.

I'd absolutely shit a brick of joy if he was Highfather.

I hope they add some of those missing frames of animation at the start.

The Ultimate Edition of Dawn of Justice has been confirmed to be 181 minutes long, with over two hours of bonus features.

Yowzer.

Seth Grahame-Smith has departed as director of the upcoming DCEU entry The Flash due to creative differences with WB (and likely Snyder).

There is reportedly an increasing amount of pressure on Snyder from the execs due to the somewhat disappointing critical and commercial acclaim of BvS, and an even bigger rumour now is that Aquaman director James Wan could be next to leave the DCEU.

The beginning of the end?

Wan isn't going anywhere. He tweeted as much in response.

As for Seth Grahame-Smith leaving, I'm relieved. I think someone more proven is needed, or at the least someone with a bit more experience. I think this can only be a good thing.

Patty Jenkins had creative difference with Disney over Thor 2, she's now doing Wonder Woman, which goes to show it happens. And The Flash movie is further off than Thor was.

Honestly, I don't know why they announced the director so far in advance. Hopefully WB realised that they can't skimp on the talent.

Wan isn't going anywhere. He tweeted as much in response.

As for Seth Grahame-Smith leaving, I'm relieved. I think someone more proven is needed, or at the least someone with a bit more experience. I think this can only be a good thing.

Patty Jenkins had creative difference with Disney over Thor 2, she's now doing Wonder Woman, which goes to show it happens. And The Flash movie is further off than Thor was.

Honestly, I don't know why they announced the director so far in advance. Hopefully WB realised that they can't skimp on the talent.

I'm aware now, just didn't update my post (made the day of the announcement).

And agreed about Smith, he's got no good reason to do it.

Dang.

Ben Affleck moved up by WB to executive producer on Zack Snyder's Justice League Part One to give him "support".

Green Lantern Corps delayed by WB from June 19th 2020 to July 24th 2020.

Green Lantern Corps delayed by WB from June 19th 2020 to July 24th 2020.

They're probably seeing how well the new Power Rangers movie does with CGI suits to see if they can do that again themselves :p

Warner Bros has finally set up a DC Films studio.

DC Chief Content Officer Geoff Johns, who helped establish the brand’s presence on television, and WB EVP Jon Berg will now co-run DC Films.

It was blinding stupid not having this structure in place. WB have done this with their games, animation and television, why it took them so long to do dedicate a studio to their films is beyond me.

Warner Bros has finally set up a DC Films studio.

It was blinding stupid not having this structure in place. WB have done this with their games, animation and television, why it took them so long to do dedicate a studio to their films is beyond me.

This reaffirms my excitement for the DCEU, though I think announcing a Harley Quinn/Birds of Prey film was done far too early.

I'm just waiting for them to reveal that the October 5th 2018 slot is for The Batman at this point, a Wonder Woman trailer and another Suicide Squad trailer, the former two which I think we'll get at SDC.

Yeah but it depends if they're moany dicks again this year about trailer leaks.

Yeah but it depends if they're moany dicks again this year about trailer leaks.

I can't remember DC complaining too much other than releasing the Suicide Squad trailer because they wanted to give a fair reflection.

I remember Fox were mad. DC has a pretty much open floor this SDC, they really need to make good use of it!

They practically had a fit about having to release it from what I recall. They weren't planning for weeks after.