NEurope
Rummy

Most Votes Mafia

Wait so did Peeps win on a coin toss?

I think them and Marc were prob just messing with me. I had no way of defending myself.

@Rummy @Marcamillian if you had let me keep the role I had originally I'd have been way more useful! In the first day my role was changed from this:

You are town.

You are a reverse-tracking power investigator. Pick a target at night. You will be informed of who targets them with which power. Please send PMs to myself(Rummy).

Good Luck.

to this:

You are town.

You are a mirror-tracking power investigator. If somebody targets you in the night phase, you will recieve a PM of who it was and what their power is.

Good Luck.

I understand that the first one may be slightly overpowered if I targeted someone targeted by many others, but my second power was useless!

Yeah sorry mr-paul. We debated back and forth about your role at the beginning.

It was really close as none of the roles were overtly "mafia" and the write-ups tried to be vague about what powers were used so the role wouldn't have been as bad as it would have been in a typical mafia. The end of the day I think we got cold feet about it in a smaller game.

I feel for Dohnut as well. So unlucky that none of his brilliantly nefarious schemes made it to fruition.

T'was fun getting to sit here and see the near misses with targets. There were some hiccups with dual-running between me and Rummy. Solved some of them but need to get some stuff ironed out still.

Most votes didn't seem to have much of an impact on voting patterns which I'm taking as some sort of success. Least it doesn't break things so any games I play in the future will probably use it.

Overall, thank-you for putting up with confusion at points and taking part.

Disagree! I think most votes greatly changed the flow of the game. People were now tactically no lynching, and a single vote could be much more deadly than usual. Also I bet the farm on a coin toss, which we lost. I think it was one of the reasons we had such an exciting end.

I had so many good ideas for my role. It was literally awesome, thanks Marc and rummy for coming up with it! So frustrating - the first two nights I targeted the mafia kills, then the third I was Roleblocked. I sucked because I was sending all kinds of crazy messages to people trying to mess them up!

I should've sent a target on the last night but I genuinely didn't have time when I got online. If I had I would've won with mr-Paul so it's my own fault I guess. I admit I made myself look evil too.

To be honest on the last night I actually planned to target Peeps. Knowing he was mafia I was going to target him and tell him to vote for mr-paul. I would've revealed everything to him and told him to go with mr-Paul. When I did as well, I would win with Peeps. Either way I would've won, but there was always a concern I would've gone for mr-paul and he would've been the kill target. Still, either way I would've won. I just wish I'd had time to send the PM.

I would've been EPIC if the final day had been decided with a coin toss. Literally epic.

My brain hurts...I think I understand what happened now.

Edited by Cube

IMO at the point that town cannot possibly win, the game should end. Everything after that is cruel :D

IMO at the point that town cannot possibly win, the game should end. Everything after that is cruel :D

Exactly, that's how it works.

I ejoyed following this game! :) I wanted to see the new voting mechanic in action before participating in a game with it, and I think it worked excellently! :D The ending was brilliant, I haven't seen such an exciting finale since the 9th Pokémafia! :heh:

This game was so annoying to watch. The Peeps was so obviously mafia. I investigated him on the last night but even if it had failed, I would have told everyone it hadn't.

True, true. However, being so close to end, I felt the need to be a little cruel in addition to letting Marc get a writeup if he wanted to. I also knew we had an audience, and on technicality, the game wasn't over til mr-paul was killed. Whilst both him and Peeps 'knew' it was certain, I'm sure they both jumped at seeing me reprimand the posting. We play games for entertainment, and personally I hope to deliver it until the end. Me and Marc had some very certain ideas for the game(as you in the mafia forum will know), and one large one was essentially a lack of information, leading to increased paranoia that would hopefully work well with the most votes nature of a game. There was a certain ideas behind writeups in this game, done by Marc and actually called by a player, but I really liked it when he brought it up.

I think me and Marc still have a way to go, but I'm really hoping to have a proper sit down for us to jointly sketch out a larger most votes that might run a bit more seamlessly. One major issue identified for myself as dual GM is adaptability; if you run your own game you can tweak to your own measure at will, if you run alongside someone else you need to agree(including any questions by players), and ideas will always be different. I hope @Marcamillian has had patience with me, and I hope I've had enough with him. It translates through to players also, and I hope our issues didn't annoy them too much. I know what decisions I would have made if it were solely my game, but I also know that the game would certainly have been weaker if I'd tried it from the get-go by myself. We had unfortunate logistics that nerfed some roles(particularly mr-paul and Nintendohnut), but I hope in essence we hit a good balance between town/mafia which is one of the most important aspects for me.

On the subject of logistics roles targets etc, those will be coming a bit later(hopefully tomorrow morning but it is my birthday this weekend so please excuse me if not), when I manage to get a proper handle on it all.

Exactly, that's how it works.

I ejoyed following this game! :) I wanted to see the new voting mechanic in action before participating in a game with it, and I think it worked excellently! :D The ending was brilliant, I haven't seen such an exciting finale since the 9th Pokémafia! :heh:

That's good to hear, and I hope you'll be on board for any future ventures. I think with larger games most votes could be even better, and I'm already looking into ensuring fair breaking of 3-way or more ties!

I think one of the problems in terms of balance was that Jimbob was the only person who could stop a mafia kill, and the mafia had a more effective ability investigator than the town. They had two people who could roleblock, and while things like this can cause suspicion, because I was never targeted there was no real way of the town verifying roles, while the mafia could find out who was a threat and could also protect their killer from being targeted.

Despite this, the game went down to the wire and I thoroughly enjoyed it when it picked up more and although I was sceptical of the most votes before, it did add another degree of excitement. I just regret making the wrong decision of lynching Dohnut after I was really set on Peeps before. Dohnut, you need to stop coming across as suspicious, there's something about your long posts that do it I think!!!!

I think one of the problems in terms of balance was that Jimbob was the only person who could stop a mafia kill, and the mafia had a more effective ability investigator than the town. They had two people who could roleblock, and while things like this can cause suspicion, because I was never targeted there was no real way of the town verifying roles, while the mafia could find out who was a threat and could also protect their killer from being targeted.

Despite this, the game went down to the wire and I thoroughly enjoyed it when it picked up more and although I was sceptical of the most votes before, it did add another degree of excitement. I just regret making the wrong decision of lynching Dohnut after I was really set on Peeps before. Dohnut, you need to stop coming across as suspicious, there's something about your long posts that do it I think!!!!

Thanks, that's all good stuff! One thing I was wary of was the lower numbers, if the mafia lost somebody via most votes on day two or three(which I expected) then they might be in the lurch via a massive flip in ratio. Though it wasn't stated or properly discussed, I considered Dohnut as joining their side/cause. I had actually thought of your role having had something similar myself in Peeps's EotW and rather annoyingly suffering a similar fate, I just didn't expect it with such low numbers. Almost everyone was targeted at least once except you! Part of me wishes you did have a more powerful role/possibly the original, but I'd have no idea how it'd flip with the balance. I think one thing to consider(and actually did a little too late) with a role like yours is a bonus to counteract not being targetted(ie if you haven't been targetted for at least x consecutive nights, you can do x); your role and the way the game went really is one of my biggest regrets, especially given your strength as a player.

I should mention on that note though, no roles were 'given' to players, it was entirely random. However seeing what came up, despite initial doubts, I was on the whole fairly happy and I think that's given who we had playing.

For those who'd like to see, here's an edited snippet of our sheet(stolen with thanks from @Yvonne), with brief role descriptions and first night targets;

rolesnippet.png

Ask away if you have any questions. Interesting interactions for us as GMs first night though, considering targets trickled!

EDIT:A sheet, for those who want - 05/07/2012 - link

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

I'll try to post up the messages I was trying to send people later. They were so fun to come up with!

I need to properly read through this, been so busy recently, but watching the last few phases was unbelievably exciting. I even said out loud in the staff room at work (when mr-paul took the victory) laughing, I said "Haha, what a cunt".

My mate then pointed out a manager was behind me (I didn't even know anyone else was in there apart from me and my bud), lol. But she was fine with it haha.

I only followed it in these last few days. Pretty exciting stuff.

I headdesk'd when mr-paul voted Nintendohnut. The mafia's (Yvonne's, really) posting history should tell you Nintendohnut was innocent. Of course, him targeting the mafia's victims was bad luck, too.

Well, we can all learn a valuable lesson from this game:

Send your bloody PMs, people