Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

3DS Firmware Update - Includes Folders

Hero-of-Time

On the vita board someone said Vita won the updates as they had Skype... Weird.

That was me and I don't even own a Vita mate. I'd rather have Skype or actual useful apps on my 3DS rather than these folders. I'm still find myself rather annoyed that when Nintendo finally looks to be delivering something fans have been asking for, they always manage to put this 'entertaining' spin on it which in reality isn't what we wanted at all.

You want to message each other? Here, have this app! You cannot use this app on top of a game and it's basically just glorified emails.

You want to record 3D? Now you can! Upload them to Youtube from your 3DS? Why would you want to do that?

You want more control over your wifi games with friends? Have this community function! We're just going to patch it into one fucking game rather than the systems firmware and there's next to no moderation features.

Sure, folders are a given since it's about time a handheld console got them as a feature, but the most it can do is make your UI look a little cleaner. I never really had any problem with just grouping my applications in groups without the folders!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was me and I don't even own a Vita mate. I'd rather have Skype or actual useful apps on my 3DS rather than these folders. I'm still find myself rather annoyed that when Nintendo finally looks to be delivering something fans have been asking for, they always manage to put this 'entertaining' spin on it which in reality isn't what we wanted at all.

You want to message each other? Here, have this app! You cannot use this app on top of a game and it's basically just glorified emails.

You want to record 3D? Now you can! Upload them to Youtube from your 3DS? Why would you want to do that?

You want more control over your wifi games with friends? Have this community function! We're just going to patch it into one fucking game rather than the systems firmware and there's next to no moderation features.

Sure, folders are a given since it's about time a handheld console got them as a feature, but the most it can do is make your UI look a little cleaner. I never really had any problem with just grouping my applications in groups without the folders!

I agree with all this to be honest; they're all good features but severely lacking. I'm writing an article for a site saying all this, how Nintendo just misses 'something' in far too many things they do. Close to providing amazing things, but fail.. Letter box is a great app, but it isn't what we need, we need an instant message service that is multitasking . Stop motion and videos - awesome! But give us a distribution model. etc So yeah, full agree, i'll link the article when it's done.

I guess the only reason I said this was because the Skype on the vita is absolutely pointless to me and probably most people who own vitas (there aren't many people and surely most will be pretty tech savvy and own an iphone/ipad/anything else) It's a great app and don't want to take it away, but I wish Vita had folders more than Skype! (though both systems should have had from the start!)

According to Satoru Shibata, it will need to be downloaded manually:

The last update was (apart from the folders) just laying the groundwork for patches.

I should just start thinking of what I think is the case and then assuming the opposite is true...

My DSiWare titles (I'm assuming that's what you meant, I have GB games scattered all over my menu :P):

Pictobits

Dragon Quest: Wars

Mario Calculator

Mario Clock (Yes, I bought them. The clock amuses me.)

Wario Ware: Snapped!

Aura-Aura Climber

Birds & Bombs

PhotoDojo

Pyro

Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again

Dr Mario

Bomberman

Earthworm Jim

After the GB games are the E3 videos I have left then the 10 ambassador NES titles.

The E3 videos were what confused me since they all have the same icon lol... but wow you have a LOT :eek:

Hey, random update! Just noticed one other minor other change from this update that I don't think has been reported anywhere else. Ocarina of Time 3D no longer blocks the 3DS from using Streetpass/Spotpass like it did before! (it was seemingly an experiment done with OoT3d and SF643D to disable wireless stuff while playing to improve battery life - they thankfully ditched the idea)

Strangely enough, it still prevents you from appearing online though (it'll only connect to the internet once you check your friends list or open the web browser - just as before), but at least Streetpass/Spotpass works with OoT3D (and presumably SF643D) now :D

So... mid-May is fast approaching. Are we expecting the MK7 patch to be released next week? :heh:

I'm hopping we at least have it by the weekly eShop update on Thursday, but I get the feeling Nintendo will be silly and chuck it out on the following week (or even the one after that) right on top of Mario Tennis. :rolleyes:

So... mid-May is fast approaching. Are we expecting the MK7 patch to be released next week? :heh:

I'm hopping we at least have it by the weekly eShop update on Thursday, but I get the feeling Nintendo will be silly and chuck it out on the following week (or even the one after that) right on top of Mario Tennis. :rolleyes:

Well it's seemingly not coming this week, so they're already late.

I suspect that it has been delayed till early June (hi November, December 3DS update!)

Wouldn't be surprised if they just saved it for the E3 conference - "And now, this amazing free update for Mario Kart 7 is live right now" (Gee, how fucking kind of you)

Cheers @Dcubed! Your reverse psychology worked, the patch is out right on time! :heh:

So that cheeky little system update this morning was obviously something else to do with the MK7 patch. :hehe:

Anyway, very happy that this is finally sorted. :)

Lol! It's pretty hilarious that it ended up being exactly mid May in the end! :laughing:

The system update apparently just allows you to update without having to put in your parental control PIN (though it probably has some security fixes as well)

Either way, nothing important (the only thing that matters is the MK7 update! :yay:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the latest update... and I never even used those shortcuts once! I'm one of the good ones!

Just had a skim back through the Activity Log too. There is zero activity between now and the 8th May, with only 12mins for the past month (29th April - 29th May). Epic. :laughing: