N-Europe

Super Mario 64(all versions)

Rummy

I've only played the DS version... Well I played the original at my cousin's house all the time but I just messed around, kinda like how one messes around in Grand Theft Auto :p

As for playing Mario 64 DS on the 3DS, it's not a very pleasant experience. The circle pad doesn't give you analogue controls, it's exactly like playing with the d-pad only less precise and the 3DS d-pad isn't as comfortable as on the old DS. Well I guess I could just whip out the stylus and use touch controls :D

I dunno about my favourite stage because there are so many good ones but my least favourite stages are the 3 water levels... I hate swimming, especially because it's so slow on the DS version.

I dunno about my favourite stage because there are so many good ones but my least favourite stages are the 3 water levels... I hate swimming, especially because it's so slow on the DS version.

Dire Dire Docks is the worst area in the game by a mile. It's not bad per say, it's just not as much fun as any other levels.

I quite enjoy Jolly Roger's Bay though - I find it quite relaxing and peaceful there. It has a really unique atmosphere compared to most of the levels.

I've only played the DS version... Well I played the original at my cousin's house all the time but I just messed around, kinda like how one messes around in Grand Theft Auto :p

As for playing Mario 64 DS on the 3DS, it's not a very pleasant experience. The circle pad doesn't give you analogue controls, it's exactly like playing with the d-pad only less precise and the 3DS d-pad isn't as comfortable as on the old DS. Well I guess I could just whip out the stylus and use touch controls :D

Surely it's easier going diagonal etc though? I can't find my original cart so I'm flash carting this on my old ds lite, and it does feel kinda awkward at times; not sure how I managed all those years ago! Forgot how much is in the DS one, as I said before it's certainly a worthy remake imo.

I've decided I might challenge myself to getting 10 stars a day, and be done with this in two weeks/less. Annoying thing about flash carting, I had 15 and nothing saved :(

The N64 original was stellar at the time but has possibly aged poorly in relation to the Mario games Miyamoto and co. have made since. However, it is still my favourite 3D platformer having 'been there' at launch and seen and felt the difference it brought to the table. What I quite like in the modern titles is how they play like the Bowser levels in Mario 64. Both the Galaxy and 3DS outing seems to play like these levels, showing just how good/diverse Mario 64 was.

Mario 64's courses are still somperfectly designed that they will forever be etched into my senses. The control too was just so tight and the camera was something that you had to take responsibility for. When all of these tools were under your control it gave the game a feeling of being tactile and personalised in a way that may games nowadays aren't. I miss being the camera man! Controlling both Mario and Lakitu was a stroke of unparalleled genius in the context of the release/3D platformer being born.

I did enjoy the 3DS outing but it isn't really Mario 64. It's more like a spin off due to the nature of the controls being slacker and the other characters diluting the experience taking away its inherent 'Mario rescues the Princess' charm.

Everyone should pay this from start to finish in a way similar to the original 8 and 16-Bit Mario titles.

I liked Dire Dire Docks. Nice feel to it

I liked the first star where you have to board the submarine but after that thing was removed, the level felt so empty. Luckily you can get a lot of the stars fairly quickly in that stage - the only one that takes any real time is the 8 red coins.

I remember the first time I got sucked through the submarine gate. I was more annoyed that I hadn't died because it kicks you oustide and then you have to make your way back to the level again. At least if it had killed me, I would have been at the entrance again.

The N64 original was stellar at the time but has possibly aged poorly in relation to the Mario games Miyamoto and co. have made since. However, it is still my favourite 3D platformer having 'been there' at launch and seen and felt the difference it brought to the table. What I quite like in the modern titles is how they play like the Bowser levels in Mario 64. Both the Galaxy and 3DS outing seems to play like these levels, showing just how good/diverse Mario 64 was.

Mario 64's courses are still somperfectly designed that they will forever be etched into my senses. The control too was just so tight and the camera was something that you had to take responsibility for. When all of these tools were under your control it gave the game a feeling of being tactile and personalised in a way that may games nowadays aren't. I miss being the camera man! Controlling both Mario and Lakitu was a stroke of unparalleled genius in the context of the release/3D platformer being born.

I did enjoy the 3DS outing but it isn't really Mario 64. It's more like a spin off due to the nature of the controls being slacker and the other characters diluting the experience taking away its inherent 'Mario rescues the Princess' charm.

Everyone should pay this from start to finish in a way similar to the original 8 and 16-Bit Mario titles.

Whilst I disagree with the aging, I do think this is a stellar post, especially the aspect about Mario/Lakitu and it feeling tactile and personalised.

I liked the first star where you have to board the submarine but after that thing was removed, the level felt so empty. Luckily you can get a lot of the stars fairly quickly in that stage - the only one that takes any real time is the 8 red coins.

I remember the first time I got sucked through the submarine gate. I was more annoyed that I hadn't died because it kicks you oustide and then you have to make your way back to the level again. At least if it had killed me, I would have been at the entrance again.

Hahaha, I felt exactly the same! Thought I might be on my way to some sort of secret place at first...

I'm surprised we haven't seen a 3DS remake announced for this. Sure it came out on the DS but following the OoT and StarFox examples would have been great. Some enhanced graphics, music and proper analogue would suit me fine. A few extra areas would be nice too. They could have a field day with this one and it would be stunning in 3D as it is already a somewhat stylised game. Imagine looking out across atop the first level's mountain top in 3D with everything enhanced. It would be worth the cash straight away.

Judging by their efforts with Yoshi in Sunshine and Galaxy, thinking back I'm glad he never left that Castle Roof! :p

Galaxy 2 is the only Mario game where I like riding Yoshi. In World, Sunshine and NEW, I try to avoid him as I just don't like how he feels but in G2, he's great - feels more like a natural extension and less like a needless bolt on.

• 3 months later...

I haven't actually completed it yet. I've got about 47 stars on the DS version. I don't understand how to get most of the stars, but it is a good game and I recommend it to anyone that likes Nintendo to check it out. That video is nothing short of epic respect whoever played the game that quickly.

• 1 year later...

My year of buying and playing N64 games continues with this gem.

image_zpse5d9bba0.jpg

I fired it up on Saturday afternoon and sat listening to this music for around 5 minutes, after clearing the old data on it. What a calm and relaxing tune.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

What struck me when first starting the game is just how colourful and clean it is. Having played through DK64 it's kind of the complete opposite. While DK easily had more things going on with it, at times it was dark and quite foggy. Despite being a launch game I think this still easily holds up against the games that arrived later in the generation.

There is a crazy amount of freedom in the game. I mean a CRAZY amount. I was jumping from stage to stage, picking up stars in whatever order I felt like and just generally having a blast without the game restricting me in. Sure, there are one or two stars that require certain paths to be opened up but for the most part you can get them in any order you choose.

I know the Galaxy games had a certain amount of freedom to them as well but nothing like this. While I loved Super Mario 3D World, I hated that it lacked this type of gameplay. A lot of the levels in that game were quite large but the end goal was always the same. Get through the level and hit the flagpole.

The game just feels like a massive playground where all the stages are connected. I spent a good few minutes just running, jumping, flipping and having a laugh and you can still do this while playing through the game.

The moves that Mario has just feel right and are fun but at the same time add a new way to play. I mean you can just run around the levels and get the stars but how about doing a backflip to get to the top quicker? Or doing a few wall jumps to reach that star faster?

It's nowhere near as long as what DK was. I spent a fair bit of time on Saturday afternoon and managed to nab 29 stars. I then hit 49 stars by lunch time on Sunday.

image_zps638cd18d.jpg

I ended my session on 101 stars in total. Things will slow down a bit now as i've hit Tiny Huge Island, Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride, all of which require some patience and precise jumping.

I'll be back on this again tonight, maybe just to do one of the remain worlds. Then again, if it gets it's hooks into me I may end up finishing it. :D I could go kick Bowsers butt right now if I wanted but I like to nab all the stars before starting the final battle.

Where DK felt like a chore at times, you never ( at least I never ) get this feeling while playing this game. The main world is quite large, as are some of the levels, but at the same time they feel nice and compact and with just the right amount of stuff going on.

In the past I rated Banjo Kazooie higher than this. I may have to buy that next and compare the two again. :p

Wow, you haven't wasted much time on that! I tried busting out SM64DS recently, think I was just under 6 hours and down in the basementy bits. Don't you feel the 100 coin stars are a bit choresome in places? I think my least favourite bits are the basement, the 100 coin stars, and poss rainbow ride(tick tock clock too cos I die a lot, but it's a very clever world imo).

Wow, you haven't wasted much time on that! I tried busting out SM64DS recently, think I was just under 6 hours and down in the basementy bits. Don't you feel the 100 coin stars are a bit choresome in places? I think my least favourite bits are the basement, the 100 coin stars, and poss rainbow ride(tick tock clock too cos I die a lot, but it's a very clever world imo).

Yeah, they can be tricky at times. It's that fear of dying when you are close to getting 100 that adds the pressure. This is even worse on the laters levels because there are so many opportunities to fall to your death.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Yeah, they can be tricky at times. It's that fear of dying when you are close to getting 100 that adds the pressure. This is even worse on the laters levels because there are so many opportunities to fall to your death.

Not to mention that on my 2nd and all subsequent playthroughs I refused to have a high score of more than 100 coins for any given level! It's small, but a tiny bit of an added challenge.

How far are you through now anyway? What sort of approach did you take as well, whole courses at a time or flitting between the more fun stars with the crap ones after?

Not to mention that on my 2nd and all subsequent playthroughs I refused to have a high score of more than 100 coins for any given level! It's small, but a tiny bit of an added challenge.

How far are you through now anyway? What sort of approach did you take as well, whole courses at a time or flitting between the more fun stars with the crap ones after?

Still sitting on 101 Stars. I've just got in from work and I'm feeling a bit knackered so I'm not sure I'll get on it tonight.

I usually pick a stage and then do everything I can before moving on. The stage I pick doesn't go in any order though but once I've started I like to finish. I played DK like this as well, well apart from Frantic Factory but I had to nip in to that level to grab Chunky Kong.

Well, it's done.

photo31_zps491aab39.jpg

(Man, CRT TVs make for some awful photos)

I wasn't going to play on it last night, as seen in my previous post, but I had a nice relaxing bath ( What? I had a hard day at work and went running on my lunch break! ) and slammed Tangled on in the back ground ( ok, now it's looking shady :D ) and away I went.

I decided to get the levels I would thought give me the most grief out the way first. That being the case, Tick Tock Clock was on my hit list first.

This was another case of my memory playing tricks on me. I remember it being a nightmare to navigate to the very top of the clock but I managed it first time. I then started picking the rest of the stars off, starting from the highest and eventually working my way down. I did have a few issues getting the 100 coins star though.

I remembered that you had to have the clock stopped, as you need to get the red coins to get the 100 coins total. I then reached a point where I couldn't get any further up the level due to the platforms not moving. I spent a while looking for a way up, even using the little flipping enemies to try and throw me up to the top. I then figured it out. I needed do a backflip and then kick off the wall to land on the platform above.

With that out the way, the next level I tackled was Rainbow Ride. Again, I remember it being much harder as teenager. Like the previous level I found the stars easy to nab but the 100 coins one caused me some pain.

There's a section where you have to hit the blue switch and then wall bounce to the top and grab them all before the time runs out. I kept messing up the wall bounce and either flying off the edge or not getting enough of the blue coins before they disappeared. I eventually pulled it off without an incident and it was just a question of grabbing the remaining coins to nab the star.

Next up was Tiny Huge Island, which was pretty straight forward. I was never a fan of this level and that remains true to this day. There's too much switching needs to be done. Yeah, it's fine as it's all done in the level but it's still a faff on.

I now just needed 2 more stars. One was on the Bowser stage and the other was a red cap bonus star, which was just located across from the Rainbow Ride level.

It's a tricky star to nab and I actually failed the first time. What is annoying though is that it throws you outside of the castle if you fail. I had to make my way back and I made sure to complete it this time so I didn't have to trek all the way back again!

The final level was straight forward but Bowser himself took me a few attempts. My timings ain't what they used to be and I kept throwing him off the edge. This made him jump back on causing shockwaves on the stage. There were a couple of times where I nearly had him but the fir that he shot made it's way over to me while I was swinging him around and finished me off.

I tried a different approach which worked great. I just grabbed him, swung him around for a little bit and slowly released him towards the mine. I kept doing these small swings until he was right next to the mines and then went in for the kill. Of course this doesn't work for the final swing but after a few long throws I finally nailed it.

photo11_zps0f966503.jpg

photo21_zps1c195e06.jpg

This game is an absolute classic. It's one of those timeless Nintendo games that I could play over and over again and never get bored. Hell, if Nintendo announced N64 games on the Wii U VC and made this a launch title I would still pick it up and play it again. Truly a magical game.

Mario Wings to the Sky. I remember that one all too well; very tedious with where it decides to put you out! What's up next on the Nostlagia64 list?

I won Mario Party 3 ( crazy rare ) Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 and Perfect Dark over the weekend. I also have Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy sitting here. Not sure what to hit next really. I may have to create a N64 thread to chart my progress. :D

I may have to create a N64 thread to chart my progress. :D

..and I may have to hijack it at certain points as there are a few N64 games I'd like to return to in the near future :heh:

I'm hoping to finally put my differences with Banjo Tooie to one side and grind through my previous frustrations to makes some progress after a few disappointing years of owning it..

I've never got that far in Duke Nukem 64 or Mystical Ninja, so I'd like to think I'll find some time for them in 2014, along with exploring Yoshi's Story a little better :hehe:

People may complain about the lack of software on Wii U, but it's a blessing for me, if anything..