NEurope
Retro_Link

Sonic 4: Episode 2

Teaser Trailer!

:D

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=16681

As planned, Sega today revealed the first teaser trailer for the next downloadable episode of Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

The trailer was released in a video interview conducted between GameSpot and Sega's Ken Balough. Episode 2 was confirmed to have a new physics engine, a new graphics engine, and playability of a certain secondary character.

I didn't expect a WiiWare version of the game so it's no great surprise that it isn't coming, but I am disappointed by the lack of any Nintendo version :sad: I like Sonic 4: Episode 1..

I'm not sure the initial Episode 1 trailer said WiiWare did it?

I think I remember the point being raised then, and the Wii was getting Sonic Colours?

It'll probably get a WiiWare announcement at some stage.

Be great to see the series on 3DS! Though it would have to be a retail title I guess.

Edited by Retro_Link

Apparently the lack of a WiiWare version is confirmed, though :hmm:

SEGA confirms lack of Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Ep. 2 on WiiWare

Coming from SEGA's Ken Balough...

Because making money is a horrible reason to do something. You uhhh volunteer your time at your job right?

But no - the reason Episode I was on the Wii was because we wanted to bring the Sonic 4 saga to the widest possible audience. Episode II unfortunately will not be coming to the Wii - for reasons most people have probably guessed, but that doesn't mean the SEGA isn't supporting Nintendo platforms, we have a very strong partnership and will continue to do so.

GoNintendo

Ah that's a shame!

Have to say Episode 1 didn't interest me all that much, but Episode II with Metal Sonic and Tails has me much more interested. When I have some time in the summer I think I may be downloading both these games.

No doubt they'll be using the same engine as the one used for Sonic CD. Lack of WiiWare is a shame but I would have got in on the 360 anyway.

No doubt they'll be using the same engine as the one used for Sonic CD.

But that game seemed very rushed, it would be a big downgrade from Episode 1.

Sonic Generations modified for sprites would be perfect.

I thought ep 1 was awesome so I hope this is even awesomeer!!

Sonic fanboy FTW!

Although claiming sonic 4 is episodic and the gap between them is shit!!!!

But that game seemed very rushed, it would be a big downgrade from Episode 1.

Sonic Generations modified for sprites would be perfect.

The engine certainly wasn't rushed, the guy's been working on it since at least 2007. Apparently he approached SEGA about the Sonic CD remake in 2009.

In what way did the game feel rushed?

Edited by Ike

Saw this the other day, I'm really looking forward to it. The new physics and graphics engines intruige me too. Hopefully it'll play better than S4:E1, even though I enjoyed episode 1.

Although claiming sonic 4 is episodic and the gap between them is shit!!!!

There's worse; Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

The engine certainly wasn't rushed, the guy's been working on it since at least 2007. Apparently he approached SEGA about the Sonic CD remake in 2009.

In what way did the game feel rushed?

They started the engine 14 years after the game was released?

They started the engine 14 years after the game was released?

The Sonic CD XBLA/PSN/IOS/Android ports uses the Retro Sonic engine built by Christian Whitehead (you'll see his name when you start the game). He originally built the engine for his own fan game (Retro Sonic) then either he went to SEGA or they found out about it and ended up doing the ports with his engine.

I don't mean the original Sonic CD engine because that would be rubbish :laughing

Oh. I just assumed it was the exact same version as on the Sonic Gems Collection. It still feels like a fan game, but that's probably due to the graphics/gameplay of the original Sonic CD rather than the engine.

The TaxMan caught Sega's attention with his complete port of Sonic CD to a second generation iPhone (I think it was the 2nd gen one..). I'm glad they ended up getting him to not only make an official port for Sonic CD, but to incorporate his engine into it too. It's pretty awesome stuff.

But I doubt his work will be used in Episode II. I think the team are eager to use their own engine that they did good work on for Generations (especially the physics for Classic Sonic in the 3DS version).

What pisses me off though about the trailer is that if you remove all the text, you could easily interpret it as a trailer for an enhanced port of Sonic CD. Which is concerning as another one of the big criticisms with Sonic 4 was the lack of originality. It's supposed to be after the big Doomsday finale. If that didn't work, why is Robotnik pretty much using the same tactics?

Dimps CAN do a good 2D Sonic. Look at how good the Advance series was. They demonstrated they can stick to the old traditions of what makes a Sonic game whilst blending in new ideas. Episode I just felt like it was just rehashing classics but with an awful physics engine and sound fonts.

If that didn't work, why is Robotnik pretty much using the same tactics?

Are you being serious? :laughing:

Are you being serious? :laughing:

Haha fuck I just realised how fucking ridiculous that sounds..

What I meant was a long the lines of using the same shit. Like a lot of the content in Episode 1 was pretty much pre-existing content but re-skinned. The only original bosses was the second half of Lost Labyrinth which required you to navigate through the moving pillars to hit him and Mad Gear's boss.

Although the main theme of the levels were unoriginal, I can't really fault them as it's pretty much the same problem with long running platformer games. As long as the actual game play is solid, I don't care about the rehashed aesthetics.

Basically, my argument is that they're treating Sonic 4 as if it was a 'Best of' title. But that's not we expect. We expected that from Sonic Generations. What's to be expected for something that's supposed to be 'canon' (lol, story in the original Sonic games..) is the same solid game play and controls, but with new tricks.

..Wow, Sonic fans like myself really are demanding lol

I can see the final episode appearing on a next gen console, at the rate Sega are going at the moment.

Offical logo revealed:

6668027871_24a9e27ac0.jpg

Just what I expected it to look like tbh, since ep 1 was similar theme to s1 I expected this to be very similar to s2.

This confirms my belief that these are the tribute games as such.

I'm glad some one else sees it as well. I said in a previous post that they treat Sonic 4 as a 'best of' game, despite the fact they had Generations.

I'm glad some one else sees it as well. I said in a previous post that they treat Sonic 4 as a 'best of' game, despite the fact they had Generations.

Indeed, Generations focused on the best of both modern and classic. I see the episodic collection as "best of classic" Sonic only.

I'm still not sure why they made these games. I have a very hard time understanding who it's meant to appeal to.The old fans will hate it because it plays differently and lacks most of the features of the nearly 20 year old sonic 3. New fans will hate it because it lacks all the bells and whistles of the newer ones.

But as was said above. These are obviously made as a "tribute" or something to the originals. You're not going to see many newer ideas here. It's kinda why this is most likely going to fall on it's arse like episode 1.

Sonic generations pretty much nailed the 2d aspect. The graphics were incredible and the controls were great. Sega are too stupid/scared to release a high budget 2d sonic game though.

I'm guessing this game will use the Sonic CD engine so it'll play exactly like the originals. Here's hoping they add more levels cause Sonic 4.1 felt too short... And they need to get someone other than Dimps to work on it cause their level designs just suck. Just take a look at Sonic Unleashed on Wii/PS2 and Sonic Generations 3DS.