NEurope
Retro_Link

Sonic 4: Episode 2

Physics look extremely similar to 4. Very floaty. Doesn't look like it'll "feel" different than 4 to play, it'll just have less obvious glitches/broken physics.

As in, I expect the stupid problems with the physics with 4 that have been widely mocked to be fixed, but the underlying feeling of mediocrity of gameplay will retain.

I got that vibe too off the trailer... Hopefully they'll run through a stage straight up and we can see what it's like. Even Sonic Generations had better physics than Sonic 4 Episode 1

Youtube mirror so you don't have to leave N-E :heh:

At the 0:42 mark there's a bit where Sonic jumps during a vertical incline, this single, short moment looks a lot like the physics we're after :)

Some gameplay footage (by someone not good at games).

It's the Android version, but it seems like they'll be similar.

From what he said about the improved physics, Episode 2 sounds like a winner to me! Definitely getting it when it comes out :D

New trailer:

Something about 4 exclusive stages as well.

If you have both episodes then you can play as Metal Sonic through Episode 1 with reworked stages... and hopefully with Episode 2's physics engine.

I like the sound of the Endurance Race achievement, makes you have to play the game the old fashioned way. Although in Ep 1 I had 99 lives by the end of the game so not too challenging...

Is there any chance this would let you play through both episodes without leaving the game?

I like the sound of the Endurance Race achievement, makes you have to play the game the old fashioned way. Although in Ep 1 I had 99 lives by the end of the game so not too challenging...

It was that level with all the cards which racked up my lives! The game just threw them at you on that one!

Is there any chance this would let you play through both episodes without leaving the game?

I think if you have both episodes then you will unlock Episode Metal in Ep.2 where you play as Metal Sonic through all the Ep.1 stages.

I know that - I just want the option to start at Ep 1 Zone 1 Act 1 and go all the way to Ep 2 Zone 4 Boss without seeing a menu.

I know that - I just want the option to start at Ep 1 Zone 1 Act 1 and go all the way to Ep 2 Zone 4 Boss without seeing a menu.

yes this....

A 5/10 from Destructoid? It must be amazing, then.

My thoughts exactly, can't wait! :D

It will come as no surprise to most that Jim Sterling wrote the Dtoid review.

There's two things I'll give him to be honest.

The levels have that zany Dimps feel to it that I'm still not really a big fan of. I don't think Dimp's attempts at Sonic games are bad at all, but I do get the feeling that if a 'Making of' DVD was released, the most used line would be "Big dip here and big ascension here and that's that zone done, who wants chilli dogs?".

His comments about the soundtrack though is definitely a very valid criticism and what I agree most with. The composing of the soundtrack is good but my fucking god the sounds they use are fucking terrible. Seriously, even thinking of Splash Hill's theme has become a grind for me because the sounds are so awful.

Does any one honestly like this?

There's even an OST some one made using Sonic 4's sound font for Sonic 2's music

I think that in a sensible world where not every video game under the fucking sun was in the 8~10 out of 10 bracket without money bought bias, 5/10 might be the right call (I'll probably come back after I play Episode II and see whether I still agree with this). Because if such a world existed, we'd see a lot more balance and would probably think 5/10 is 'average' like it's supposed to be instead of every one jumping the gun and crying "he thinks it's the shittiest vidya ever!". But that's not the world we're in and he just comes across as unprofessional considering the score he gives it doesn't match up with what he says for the majority of the article.

And to be honest, I can't see how it can be any more than average just yet. There's not really any progression aside from the visuals. The creative process is still non-existent thanks to their choice to continually cherry pick features from previous games and mash them together. Either the sound team has gone deaf or Sega simply doesn't give enough of a shit to give them some extra cash to switch the sound font.

Finally nd more importantly, the physics team simply turned up the gravity, addressing the very floaty jump mechanics in 4 many complained about, but failed to recognise why it was actually a problem. The problem was you had to subconsciously account for 3 different types of physics that didn't match and therefore were not seamless. Running was neutral, it worked fine. Jumping left you going way too fast and floating. Spinning or rolling however made you feel like you were in one of those Dragon Ball training capsules with the gravity turned up to a level where you could imagine blood bursting in your foot.

This is what I mean. In the original Sonic 4, I only started to enjoy it once I got used to it but it still felt pretty stupid. It's also worth mentioning that Sonic 2 HD's physics are from a fan made physics engine that's supposed to emulate the original physics.

I just can't see this game deserving any acclaim higher than being average/above average.

Edited by Debug Mode

I'm so glad that video exists. Honestly it was so frustrating trying to explain my issues with the physics to the right-holders :p

There's two things I'll give him to be honest.

The levels have that zany Dimps feel to it that I'm still not really a big fan of. I don't think Dimp's attempts at Sonic games are bad at all, but I do get the feeling that if a 'Making of' DVD was released, the most used line would be "Big dip here and big ascension here and that's that zone done, who wants chilli dogs?".

His comments about the soundtrack though is definitely a very valid criticism and what I agree most with. The composing of the soundtrack is good but my fucking god the sounds they use are fucking terrible. Seriously, even thinking of Splash Hill's theme has become a grind for me because the sounds are so awful.

Does any one honestly like this?

There's even an OST some one made using Sonic 4's sound font for Sonic 2's music

I think that in a sensible world where not every video game under the fucking sun was in the 8~10 out of 10 bracket without money bought bias, 5/10 might be the right call (I'll probably come back after I play Episode II and see whether I still agree with this). Because if such a world existed, we'd see a lot more balance and would probably think 5/10 is 'average' like it's supposed to be instead of every one jumping the gun and crying "he thinks it's the shittiest vidya ever!". But that's not the world we're in and he just comes across as unprofessional considering the score he gives it doesn't match up with what he says for the majority of the article.

And to be honest, I can't see how it can be any more than average just yet. There's not really any progression aside from the visuals. The creative process is still non-existent thanks to their choice to continually cherry pick features from previous games and mash them together. Either the sound team has gone deaf or Sega simply doesn't give enough of a shit to give them some extra cash to switch the sound font.

Finally nd more importantly, the physics team simply turned up the gravity, addressing the very floaty jump mechanics in 4 many complained about, but failed to recognise why it was actually a problem. The problem was you had to subconsciously account for 3 different types of physics that didn't match and therefore were not seamless. Running was neutral, it worked fine. Jumping left you going way too fast and floating. Spinning or rolling however made you feel like you were in one of those Dragon Ball training capsules with the gravity turned up to a level where you could imagine blood bursting in your foot.

This is what I mean. In the original Sonic 4, I only started to enjoy it once I got used to it but it still felt pretty stupid. It's also worth mentioning that Sonic 2 HD's physics are from a fan made physics engine that's supposed to emulate the original physics.

I just can't see this game deserving any acclaim higher than being average/above average.

I do totally agree with what you said throughout this thread. If we are all honest Sonic 4 episode 1 was average/above average it was by no means stellar. If episode 2 is the same then why not give it a 5/10? I think Destructoid and particuarly Jim Sterling (of course there are other sites out there too) use the full scale rather than slapping a 7 on a game that's average which has become a common practice out there.

The Destructoid comment was more about how they've given a few great games a 5/10 ratings recently.

I'm sure I'll take issue with the physics from episode II just like I did with episode I but I'll also just 'adjust' to it and enjoy the game for what it is, another decent entry in the Sonic series... of course I'm under no illusions, I know it won't be in the same league as the original games but there's just something in me that'll ensure I purchase it for 1200msp on day of release and most likely won't stop playing it until I get every achievement.

Sonic 4 is still great despite its flaws but I can only hope that after the third episode they just stick to generations type gameplay for the disc-based games and go about remaking the original games for the downloadable titles, heck if Sega were sensible they would have already cut a deal with several of the makers of the fan-made games like Sonic 2 HD so that they could release those instead, they already did something similar with Sonic CD which turned out really well I thought. :)

Sonic 4 is still great despite its flaws but I can only hope that after the third episode

The second episode is the last.