N-Europe

front of tooth has fallen off :(

flameboy

I haven't been to a dentist since I was about 16.

How much do they cost?

I'm woefully uninformed about this sort of stuff.

Can I get something for free for being a lazy student?

I had a checkup, a couple of filling repairs (used to grind a lot) and a biteguard fitted and made (for said grinding) and it cost well over £100. You can spend thousands depending on what you need.... root canals are quite expensive from what I recall.

Usually about £30ish covers a checkup, if you can find an nhs dentist to take you on.

re the student-ness, you *should* get it free

NHS treatment is available to all students AND patients who are entitled to free NHS dental treatment, i.e., those who:

Have a valid HC2 Certificate

Are receiving income support, family credit, or jobseekers allowance

Are pregnant or have had a baby in the last 12 months

Are students under 19 years of age

Are children under 18 years

Is the dentist that expensive over there? Not paid back by the NHS? =/

*worried cause she has bad teeth haha*

As for your tooth flameboy, I'm sure you can get it fixed somehow. And hiding it from your girlfriend seems a bit silly to me. If you plan to propose to her and spend your life with her, I'm sure something as small as this is something you should be able to share with her. =)

Is the dentist that expensive over there? Not paid back by the NHS? =/

*worried cause she has bad teeth haha*

only paid back fully in certain criteria, and when you have to pay, I think its 80% you pay of the fee, they give you the cost with the nhs payment taken off already. Some people opt for private dental plans which can range from about £15 a month and covers everything, depending on what condition your teeth are in. Like I said above, about 30-40 for a checkup and an occasional filling. :)

Wait, what?

Well, the word doesn't strictly fit here, and I'm using it in a very loose sense, but without going into a lot of details, its basically used to describe the largest order term of a function. Generally used in computer science to describe time complexity.

The idea being that the largest order term of penis + teeth is penis (penis + teath ∈ Θ(penis)), so we could say penis is an asymptotic upper and lower bound on penis + teeth.

What I was replying to was the assumption that penis is an order of magnitude more important than teeth, and thus the state of teeth makes very little difference compared to the state of penis. I was expressing doubts as to that being the case by suggesting that both have significant enough effects that it doesn't make sense to only look at the highest order term (or asymptotic bounds).

I'm probably not explaining this very well, but I have my doubts that anyone has a genuine interest in it, so I'll leave it to those who do to look it up on their own.

TL;DR: Its a joke that maybe 1% of the members here will understand.

Edited by Emasher

Well, the word doesn't strictly fit here, and I'm using it in a very loose sense, but without going into a lot of details, its basically used to describe the largest order term of a function. Generally used in computer science to describe time complexity.

The idea being that the largest order term of penis + teeth is penis (penis + teath ∈ Θ(penis)), so we could say penis is an asymptotic upper and lower bound on penis + teeth.

What I was replying to was the assumption that penis is an order of magnitude more important than teeth, and thus the state of teeth makes very little difference compared to the state of penis. I was expressing doubts as to that being the case by suggesting that both have significant enough effects that it doesn't make sense to only look at the highest order term (or asymptotic bounds).

I'm probably not explaining this very well, but I have my doubts that anyone has a genuine interest in it, so I'll leave it to those who do to look it up on their own.

What is it like to be you? The world must be a terrifying and confusing place at times.

TL;DR: Its a joke that maybe 1% of the members here will understand.

I know what asymptotic means, and get what you're saying above, but just saying "it's asymptotic like that" means "it tends towards a value/curve like that in the limit," which doesn't make any sense in the context, hence my response.

TL;DR: If you're going to make a geeky joke, make it properly.