N-Europe

Clothing

Goafer

The black one looks like what a bondage fetishist would wear. The material looks a bit cheap and shiny too. The one on the right is slightly better but there's way too many pockets.

I'd suggest having a look round TOPMAN, there's loads of nice coats in there at the mo!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my concern. I want to stand out, just not in a "what a fucking weirdo" sort of way.

There'll always be people thinking "what a weirdo" of people who dress just the slightest bit alternatively. If you like the look of the black jacket, goafer it! If it doesn't look good on you, you can always send it back, but if you feel great wearing it then forget about the judgemental people.

But as for it suiting someone like you, who have modelled themselves on the "messy/vintage" look, I wouldn't think so.

I disagree, I think the straps and the slightly military look is right up Goafer's alley. I also don't find it's the same style as your coat despite the visual similarities.

I get compliments on my clothes a lot which I don't think I'd get if they were the standard River Island things that everyone wears.

That seems really odd.

You get compliments on being able to... dress yourself?

I'm not going to lie, I don't really get fashion.

I don't know why anyone would want to spend valuable time on something so trivial.

I also think being impressed with someone's clothes is pretty dumb.

In fact that was a lie, it's not even their clothes.

You'd be impressed with someone's ability to buy something.

"Hey I like your money!"

Anyway....

This reminds me, I need to wash my clothes.

That seems really odd.

You get compliments on being able to... dress yourself?

I'm not going to lie, I don't really get fashion.

I don't know why anyone would want to spend valuable time on something so trivial.

I also think being impressed with someone's clothes is pretty dumb.

In fact that was a lie, it's not even their clothes.

You'd be impressed with someone's ability to buy something.

"Hey I like your money!"

Anyway....

This reminds me, I need to wash my clothes.

Clothing is part of your identity. What you wear can make a statement about who you are.

What do you think of these 2 people? What are the impressions you'd get if you saw either on the street?

Patrick+Grant+3+The+Sartorialist.jpg

15057-everwood-tracksuit1.gif

I'm not going to be sarcy about this, I'll answer honestly.

The guy in the top works at a place where he has to wear a suit.

The other guy works at some sports retailer.

Both sound like jobs I'd hate.

I wouldn't want to be like either person.

EDIT: Also, person A is more likely to be gay than person B.

(Cue Paj! or chair being all pussy about that last statement)

[(Cue Paj! or chair stating it was ironic that I used to word pussy)]

([(Cue Paj! or chair to have now lost interest)])

{Cue someone to point out that my use of brackets deserves a prison sentence}

Edited by Wesley

The guy in the top works at a place where he has to wear a suit.

The other guy works at some sports retailer.

You've just made my point. You're placing them in your mind about what you think they do because of what they're wearing. The top guy could be going to a court hearing whereas the bottom could be a high power executive who's going to the gym. There's just no way of knowing. However what is clear is that the clothes they are wearing have given them their image in the eyes of others.

I like wearing clothes which are good fitting and look good because it makes me feel good about myself because of what others think about them.

I have a Fred Perry polo shirt which I love and wear all the time. The way I wear it looks good, however, recently neds/chavs have started wearing the Fred Perry brand but they were the same item of clothing in a completely different way.

I'm aware that clothes do have an impact on people's perception.

But my point was that it's bullshit at the end of the day.

Something that you just proved for me be swapping the roles of these imaginary dicks.

I'm not actually sure what you're trying to say apart from the fact that you aren't interested in clothing at all so I'm just going to stop here.

Take a read of Belk's Extended Self theory as this is exactly what I'm talking about. Using inanimate objects to create an identity for yourself; usually without even knowing you're doing it.

I see Wesley's original point, but Charlie's just as right. For me personally, I buy what I want(though I clothes shop rarely) and wear what I want regardless of how it might possibly look to anyone else or what they might think. Sure, it influences my decisions, but if I look in the mirror and think I look damn good, then screw everyone else.

To me, clothes are important. They can tell you so much about a person. If a person takes the time to dress properly and generally care about their appearance, chances are they take good care of their health as well. They can also tell you about their tastes. For example, if they have Fender/Marshall on their shirt, chances are they are either a musician or are at least interested in a particular type of music/gig. Instant conversation starter.

Unfortunately, we do live in a society that judges people by how they look and how they dress (I'd argue that the clothes and grooming are more important than natural looks) and I feel I owe it to myself and the people I go out with to not be the lazy, scruffy slob that no one wants to be seen with. I don't think it matters how people dress, it's more to do with how much effort they make to achieve the style they want.

I just wish I'd come to that conclusion a bit sooner, that way I could have maximised on my youth. Never mind, better late than never.

To me, clothes are important. They can tell you so much about a person. If a person takes the time to dress properly and generally care about their appearance, chances are they take good care of their health as well. They can also tell you about their tastes. For example, if they have Fender/Marshall on their shirt, chances are they are either a musician or are at least interested in a particular type of music/gig. Instant conversation starter.

Unfortunately, we do live in a society that judges people by how they look and how they dress (I'd argue that the clothes and grooming are more important than natural looks) and I feel I owe it to myself and the people I go out with to not be the lazy, scruffy slob that no one wants to be seen with. I don't think it matters how people dress, it's more to do with how much effort they make to achieve the style they want.

I just wish I'd come to that conclusion a bit sooner, that way I could have maximised on my youth. Never mind, better late than never.

makeshiftthanks.jpg

I'm a very much a Jeans and T-Shirt man most of the time but I do like to be suited and booted occasionally. I always buy Levi for jeans as they're just so comfortable and they look good. Levi are also good for t-shirts and hoodies and the like. I tend to buy a lot of American Apparel stuff as it's plain and fairly well made. I'm into Lacoste for my more stylish wears. I don't try to be different but everyone nowadays seems to be either buying Superdry or G-Star clothing, that's why I like the American Apparel stuff, it's not plastered with logos and ugly ass designs. I do occasionally buy things from Republic, tends to be Soul Cal stuff.

Edited by Jon

I have a Fred Perry polo shirt which I love and wear all the time. The way I wear it looks good, however, recently neds/chavs have started wearing the Fred Perry brand but they were the same item of clothing in a completely different way.

Do they rebel against buttons and not do them up?

I spend far too much money on clothes, I love clothes, it's the main thing I spend my money on along with alcohol.

I have a lovely little collection of websites I've built up over the years, I try to find stuff no one else wears.

Standing out ftw, can't belive I just said ftw...