NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Sméagol

The Stanley parable

This used to be a thread about a half-Life mod. Now it has been made into a stand-alone game, with more content. The original post can still be found below in the spoilers.

This game is about a man named Stanley, and you have to help him on his epic quest to find his co-workers.

So what kind of game is this? People who have played the mod know what to expect, but for those who haven’t: this is not a game. It’s a game parody. It’s a narration experiment. It’s a total mindfuck. A narrator comments on every move you make, or don’t make. In fact, the narrator is the real star. To be honest, you should read nothing more about it, and just experience it yourself. The less you know, the better, I’ve already said too much. The game is available on Steam for around € 10,-. However, the demo is free, and more importantly, spoiler-free! It’s actually recommended to download and play it, even if you have played the mod and intend to get the game (or have already bought it) anyway.

[The demo]

[The game]

For those who have played the mod, there is new content, and updated visuals. There are new endings, but all of the original endings are included in more or less the same way. Although the may include extra dialogue and options, and may be switched around. I personally was happy to finally give the guy some hard-earned cash for the mod, and the new game with its new content.

It’s a little game about a man named Stanley, who finds his colleagues missing. A narrator comments on every move he makes, or should make.

Seriously, that’s all you need to know. Click download without spoiling yourself by watching videos or reading other comments about this game.

You can download it [here]

The mod itself is under 300 MB, but you’ll need source SDK 2007 and 2006 as well, plus a Steam account for those unaware. The download for the additional files will start automatically (and can be quite a hefty download for those who don’t actually have anything using source installed).

Edited by Sméagol

What a strangely intriguing mod.

Done the opposite of whatever the narrator said. Made me laugh.

Went to the staff room, then refused to go upstairs to meet the boss. That was fucking weird.

Then you have 4 more endings to go :).

I found the script, and especially the narrator, amazing. All the endings are different, yet they all share a common theme.

Wow. Thanks for that.

I did the opposite.

Went downstairs instead of upstairs.

Engaged the generator. (There mus be another ending here because the lights at the bottom started working)

Deactivated the generator.

Wow. Thanks for that.

[..]

Engaged the generator. (There mus be another ending here because the lights at the bottom started working)

[..]

No actually there isn’t ;). the common theme withg all the endings is how you’re not in control. You push the buttons, because you expect there is some way to avoid the detonation, but there isn’t. You’ll have to endure the narrator’s comments untill the bitter end :).

Oh, and, if you have played through it a few times, don’t forget to read the modder’s comments, there’s a text file in the original zip file you downloaded.

I was wondering if it was a massive bluff.

Got the final two endings. Awesome mod.

Haven't played it yet, but you guys' descriptions are giving me Every Day The Same Dream vibes.

It's a brilliant browser based game.

yes brilliant game!

I havn't played Stanley Parable and don't think I will as it won't run but I'm very intrigued by it all...read about it somewhere maybe was Edge?

Haven't played it yet, but you guys' descriptions are giving me Every Day The Same Dream vibes.

It's a brilliant browser based game.

I remember playing that from the indie game thread probably (played just now as well, but couldn’t get to the ending anymore :rolleyes:).

They share in common that there’s actually little gameplay, and it’s more about the “message”, but the themes / messages are entirely different.

I really like that yeah, the whole of the narrative is conveyed in the visual space. There's some pretty cool games that do that, where they try to convey the entirety of whatever message they have in the act of actualy playing the game. For example the game "Passage," it's like a 2 meg download and super pixellated graphics, which suit its incredibly abstract style, but you're basically a blue figure, and as you walk forward you either have the ability to go on alone, and this will grant you access to certain pathways. However, you also have the ability to meet a pink figure, and if you do, you become attached; two character models where there was one. This means you can't access some of the side branches that you could as a solitary figure, but it comes with the benefit of companionship. So it's cool, I love stuff like that, little exploratory games, sort of like parables.

I really like that yeah, the whole of the narrative is conveyed in the visual space. There's some pretty cool games that do that, where they try to convey the entirety of whatever message they have in the act of actualy playing the game. For example the game "Passage," it's like a 2 meg download and super pixellated graphics, which suit its incredibly abstract style, but you're basically a blue figure, and as you walk forward you either have the ability to go on alone, and this will grant you access to certain pathways. However, you also have the ability to meet a pink figure, and if you do, you become attached; two character models where there was one. This means you can't access some of the side branches that you could as a solitary figure, but it comes with the benefit of companionship. So it's cool, I love stuff like that, little exploratory games, sort of like parables.

The first ever PC indie title I downloaded and I was left feeling instantly depressed about life and such....but very thought provoking indeed about life, relationships, wealth, the past and the future (I love how when your young the screen in front of you is fuzzy but long and as you grow older it reverses and the past is long and blurry.) Also loved Sleep is Death even though I only managed a couple of games and its more level creation principle makes its barriers of entry slightly higher.

I was going through the threads I created.. This needs an update, the creator is working on an standalone “HD remix”, with more content. Since surprise was / is an important game element, he promises there will definitely plenty of those for us who played the mod. Apparently, it’s close to being finished, and should be released this year. I can’t wait to give this man some hard earned money.

When it’s released, I may open up a new thread, or more likely, change this one, as this is supposed to be the “definitive” The Stanley parable.

Oh, and for those who haven’t played the mod.. I have no idea if I should recommend playing it or waiting for the standalone release. I think I’ll ask.

So.. By chance, I happen to find out this is out since yesterday. Downloading it as I speak, will report when I’ve played it.

Yeah I downloaded the Source SDK and all that jazz to get this only to find out the HD remake is launching...but apparently it is a different game in some ways?

Started playing the Source Mod and pretty quickly got one ending by not following instructions:

The death scene....When a female narrator buts in and takes over before seemingly sending you to your death again...

Endings found for the source mod:

Ignore the narrator completely and get killed and listen to the female narrator.

Deactivate the generator and escape.

Activate the generator and seemingly have no way to prevent death buttons are pointless.

Don't go upstairs to the boss go insane and get found by the girl dead on the street...

What do I have left? Or how can I achieve more endings I hear there are more.

Played the new Stanley Parable Demo it is brilliant, without using any actual game scenarios it perfectly displays what the game is all about...

Edited by flameboy

This game is funny as hell :laughing:

It's the perfect game for those who love making the wrong choices in games on purpose ;)

[..]

What do I have left? Or how can I achieve more endings I hear there are more.

[..]

You have 2 more endings when you do down with the elevator instead of up. In fact, both of the endings have been changed somewhat in the final game, so I’d say go out and experience them in the mod first. Especially the “videogame ending” was a nice surprise in the final game.

Anyway, as you can see, I changed the opening post to talk about the stand-alone game, although the mod is still available.

Can some mod remove the “(source sdk mod)” from the title please? And why can’t I change it myself? :P

Edited by Sméagol

You have 2 more endings when you do down with the elevator instead of up. In fact, both of the endings have been changed somewhat in the final game, so I’d say go out and experience them in the mod first. Especially the “videogame ending” was a nice surprise in the final game.

Anyway, as you can see, I changed the opening post to talk about the stand-alone game, although the mod is still available.

Can some mod remove the “(source sdk mod)” from the title please? And why can’t I change it myself? :P

I had no idea I could go down in the elevator instead of up! WOW. Any hints as to the final ending I have to find?

I've picked up the new version and plan on playing it during Extra Life.

We can't have you running amok with thread titles! That and I think it just doesn't work like that, for some reason(and I have no powers to change it, either). Anyhow, this keeps popping up on my radar, and I'm wondering...how much playtime do you get out of it? Thinking it might be something I'll wait for a good deal on(because I'm a tight fisted mofo).

We can't have you running amok with thread titles! That and I think it just doesn't work like that, for some reason(and I have no powers to change it, either). Anyhow, this keeps popping up on my radar, and I'm wondering...how much playtime do you get out of it? Thinking it might be something I'll wait for a good deal on(because I'm a tight fisted mofo).

I would say be a part of it now whilst the buzz is around and to avoid it getting spoilt.

I had no idea I could go down in the elevator instead of up! WOW. Any hints as to the final ending I have to find?

I've picked up the new version and plan on playing it during Extra Life.

Take the elevator down, take the red pill, then the blue pill. To be honest, I had to look them up, it was too long ago.

Anyway, like I said, apart from the new ones, you’ll get the familiar endings in the final game, however, they are revamped, some more than others, and some got switched around.

It’s funny, because I came across an old post of mine in the questions or suggestions thread, asking for the same thing, getting the same arguments. But in the end Ashley said they would implement it as a trial, but after that.. I have no idea. It obviously doesn’t work now in any case. Anyway, the same counter argument: I see only mods abusing this power :roll:. I only bring it up now I have a genuine reason to edit my title, since it no longer reflects the content of the OP. Anyway, I’ll just forget about it again.

And about the game: it depends on how much you explore, I’ve played this for over 8 hours, but you can get all the endings in less than 1, especially if you spoil yourself by reading about them (and all the other fun stuff) on the Steam forums. Anyway, I personally thought it was totally worth it, and the guy deserved his money after all this work. I’ll throw in the old cinema ticket argument, I’ve payed the same amount for less enjoyable films numerous times. But then again, you can always count on a Steam sale, you only have to wait 2 months to get the game for half probably.

Take the elevator down, take the red pill, then the blue pill. To be honest, I had to look them up, it was too long ago.

Anyway, like I said, apart from the new ones, you’ll get the familiar endings in the final game, however, they are revamped, some more than others, and some got switched around.

I'm still confused I'm pretty sure I've only had four endings....here's a list I found I'm missing down in the elevator and which other?

I found:

1 Followed all instructions to the end.

2 Punished.

3 Quit. You're told to do it.

4 Died in the street.

5 Made the narrator happy... for now.

6 Boom!

and

7 "Please die."

Are there more endings?

EDIT: Forgot this one, but it might be a bug.

If you close the door at the beginning before leaving, you're stuck there. Period.

It’s funny, because I came across an old post of mine in the questions or suggestions thread, asking for the same thing, getting the same arguments. But in the end Ashley said they would implement it as a trial, but after that.. I have no idea. It obviously doesn’t work now in any case. Anyway, the same counter argument: I see only mods abusing this power :roll:. I only bring it up now I have a genuine reason to edit my title, since it no longer reflects the content of the OP. Anyway, I’ll just forget about it again.

I was only joking about running amok! What I found from before when I wasn't a mod was literally that it just didn't work like that, if I edited a post(namely its title) it would change it on the header INSIDE the post/thread, but not on the main forum view. I've honestly no idea why, but I'd def say post in board issues etc and bring it up again to see what's up, only the admins would know why it is. I literally can't do anything with your post here though, as it isn't my forum. I'm just a regular joe perusing the Other Consoles!

Edited by Rummy

Does anybody know if the mod is available on Steam?

I'm just a regular joe perusing the Other Consoles!

He's lost his powers. Quick! Get him!

Does anybody know if the mod is available on Steam?

He's lost his powers. Quick! Get him!

I downloaded the mod by googling it...put it in my apps folder and then downloaded source sdk from the tools menu in steam then when I launched Stanley parable it did another download.

I'm still confused I'm pretty sure I've only had four endings....here's a list I found I'm missing down in the elevator and which other?

The list is too cryptic, but there are only 6 endings to the original mod. Like I said, go down the elevator, than take the red door for one, and the blue door for the other.

Sign in to follow this