NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
demonmike04

Future consoles: Big step-up to be 4D?

So, we've had quite a few step-up's in the gaming industry, making the gamer feel immersed in the environment. You know, giving them an enjoyable experience.

We've had many things introduced, such as innovative peripherals and 3D to make the game seem real.

As we know, Nintendo are still creating ways to make the gamer involved. Soon we will be able to freehand control our games.

BUT, is that real enough?

What will the Gaming industry do once all goals have been achieved? Photo-realistic graphics seems to be the most focused goal at the moment, and maybe virtual reality.

That means there could be only one more way to immerse the gamer completely. Four dimensional gaming.

This way, the gamer can feel the sorroundings, such experimented 4D experiences are currently weather and smell.

So, if this were introduced to gaming, would it have a good enough response? Or shall we see what future technology will bring?

Blinx Time sweeper was 4d adn that was able to rewind back in time and slow mo and shit

oh and long time no see guys... my life has been dependant on WoW

I'd even go as far to say that Majora's Mask had elements of 4D within it. You were able to slow down time, you had the ability to even make time go fast by a certain margin (this helped you skip days). Also, you could go back to the first day. This was all within your control. :)

4d?

You can't mix coordinate types. There are only 3 dimensional directions. 4 dimensions is just a concept to help understand the nature of time. Read. Every one should know phisics.

I think the next step will be something like real 3D where the player is inside the world, completely surrounded; like these experimental helmet things.

But at some point the industry will reach reality or almost reality and I think then it will move away from reality again, maybe going back to 2d with only a couple of buttons.

But at some point the industry will reach reality or almost reality and I think then it will move away from reality again, maybe going back to 2d with only a couple of buttons.
Yeah, I heard that Peter Jackson's next movie is going to be shot in black and white, with no audio.

Any thing with a real time clock is technically seen as the 4th dimension. So Animal Crossing or Nintendogs for example.

4d?

You can't mix coordinate types. There are only 3 dimensional directions. 4 dimensions is just a concept to help understand the nature of time. Read. Every one should know phisics.

4D takes into account that every point in space (whether it be cartesian, spherical or polar coordinate systems) has a time related to it.

this is taken into account in relativity, when approaching the speed of light space distorts and time dilates.

oh dear, it seems that someone has a degree in physics here : peace:

if you simply mean to associate time with games, this was also seen in pokemon gold and silver. but i have a bad feeling that you meant something else... something more sinister...

Has no one been to one of those weird 4D movies? Im hoping they actualy used 4D in the correct term for there movies, but if not im talking as if you feel the sorroundings.

Like in some '4D' movies, when it rains in the movie, it rains in the theatre. Stuff like that. And if any one went to the smell-o-vision experiment, they used ambience to match the nature of the film. One of the examples was a love film at some point would have the smell of perfume, and at a certain point in the film with a cafe you could smell the coffee etc, there was no big attention towards it because the media wernt interested.

Its like that, seems many people have different meanings for 4D, and the post above seems accurate.

I think some people are confusing "adding a new dimension", as a figure of speech, with actual real world dimensions. Adding such things as smell, lighting and "weather" (are we to assume you're planning on fitting sprinklers in people's houses???) just add to the immersion of a setting, by engaging the other senses and pulling you in more. They most certainly are not another dimension in physical terms, though they may be in emotional terms.

Maybe 4d is touch> that would be quite good

I cant imagine 4d being smell, imagin working in a cattle farm on Harvest Moon revo

4D takes into account that every point in space (whether it be cartesian, spherical or polar coordinate systems) has a time related to it.

this is taken into account in relativity, when approaching the speed of light space distorts and time dilates.

oh dear, it seems that someone has a degree in physics here : peace:

if you simply mean to associate time with games, this was also seen in pokemon gold and silver. but i have a bad feeling that you meant something else... something more sinister...

That is exactly right....Time and Space are the same thing, so therefore it is a dimention.

Although really I'm sure 1D would inc. time, since even 1D needs space!!

Tesseract2.JPG

Thats a Cube with an added dimension, in essence - a 4D cube.

Just one of the theories on what 4D is, one of them beign time, another beign God/Heave.

So i think we're settled on it not being 4d seing as no one really knows what the 4th dimension is

So i think we're settled on it not being 4d seing as no one really knows what the 4th dimension is

That's the point. No one is sure about the meaning of a fourth dimention. But most believe it is the time. :confused:

Well whatever I was describing is called, would this be suitible for games industry? Maybe the smell isnt very suited, but imagine getting some of those weird japanese games we're you work in a restaraunt (cant remember the name), that'd smell gooooood.

Well, I believe you're too late already. Sony have apparently been experimenting with an ultrasound system which causes sympathetic responses in the brain and nervous system, inducing sensations including motion and smells. I believe Philips (I can't be sure, but it's the company name which comes to mind) have also been working on a chemical based system, which recreates smells from a small device which could be added or built into controllers.

Well, I believe you're too late already. Sony have apparently been experimenting with an ultrasound system which causes sympathetic responses in the brain and nervous system, inducing sensations including motion and smells. I believe Philips (I can't be sure, but it's the company name which comes to mind) have also been working on a chemical based system, which recreates smells from a small device which could be added or built into controllers.

Ah, i knew systems like that were being experimented with but are you sure they've been tested for gaming?

But thanks for the info about the sony ultrasound system, very interesting...

Couldn't that be potentially dangerous? If something went wrong and the frequencies got high etc

If chemicals had to be used wouldn't you constantly need to re-fill the tank.

If 4d is time then wouldn't you have to physically alter time rather than do it in a game, as in zelda games we have already seen movemenet through time in the game

Sign in to follow this